Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 2011-2016

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Courtesy of Lackblogger:

As the poll is limited by number of choices I've gone for mini-eras. The eras don't really relate to what games were new at the time, although there is a bit of that if it seems logical to squeeze a big name into a specific chunk. You might'nt've even played a new game when you discovered you loved RPGs, or you might have played one and not even have got the bug again for many years, but that first one still set the precedent for you. Or perhaps you tried some RPGs as part of your general gaming experience but didn't really take much notice of the genre until much later when a specific RPG grabbed you like no other had before?

Das Schwarze Auge: Die Schicksalsklinge a.k.a Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny in 1993 :)

I might have played some RPGs on the C64 in the mid 80s but nothing I can really remember consciously or fell in love with so that don't count.

Baldur's Gate was my first RPG in 1999. Played Planescape: Torment after that and started The Locus Inn to host my information about it in 2000. That site was hosted by Blinkingdot, founded by Rendelius, which also hosted RPGDot. Got involved in RPGDot in that year as well. 1999 also happens to be the year that RPGDot was founded.

I'm the only "Before 1985" so far, started playing RPG's on the C64 probably Ultima 2 was my first. always looked forward to Scorpia's column in CGW and was a subscriber to QuestBuster.

My first crpg was Baldur's Gate, around 1998 or so. Absolutely loved it. I did do tabletop rpging when D&D got very popular, back in the early 80s, I was one of those teen boys who played D&D back then…After Balder's Gate, I got into Gothic, and Fallout. I also was really into Everquest, when it first came out in the early 2000s, (it was actually really good back then, because it was hardcore, it wasn't like how they changed it later, where they made it easy and dumbed down)

I didn't get into the Bethesda games until much later. I am not a super fan of them like a lot of others on this site. I did play Oblivion for a long time, but it was just "good" - I never finished it, got bored. I did buy Morrowind, like, a couple years ago, and I really liked the mechanics of it, and the complexity, but couldn't get past those awful graphics. Since there has been an old school rpg renaissance, I want Bethesda to remake Morrowind, with modern graphics, and not dumb it down at all, but retain all the complexity…

The current rpg I'm playing - Wasteland 2. I'm loving it! Just stellar. Yes, I know, I come to play these games late, OK. I want them (Inexile) to make a Wasteland 3 now! That is how much I'm enjoying Wasteland 2… (I also play Grim Dawn too lately, but that is an action rpg, a different type of beast than a traditional rpg)

First of all, I never cared for tabletops and dice. Not back then, not today. I just wanted videogames.

And I can't say I plain loved RPGs - till Betrayal at Krondor appeared.
It was instamarriage.

Had to look which year was that release… 1993… OMG am I *that* old?

I would say sometime around 2000-2001. I used to enjoy watching my brother playing games. Once I got my own PC, I wanted to have a go at playing games myself and my first pick was BG2. Suffice to say, it is the reason I am here now.

By the time I finished my full playthrough with BG2 + ToB, IE modding community was in full swing which led me to join a number of forums. From there, I started to follow all Bioware games, later on also Obsidian games and continue to expand my horizon. I relied on my brother's opinion a lot but found it quite limited and started to reach out for more, which led me to join here as well :) I'm quite unfortunate in a sense that I do not have many friends who play games.

1979 for the original dungeons dragons basic box set.

If you are talking cRPG's you can put me down for the two original Intellivision D&D games before pirated copies of Wizardry started sneaking into the computer room at junior high in 1982. That was followed closely by Ultima ]I[ as well as DnD and the open source telengard - the one that was a fork of DnD and not a commercial game.

It was wizardry 1 proving grounds of the mad overlord for me in the early 80's. Unless zork counts but I wasn't quite as crazy about it like I was with Wizardry. Did play D&D tabletop before that though.

I played some tabletop back in the day, but never more than the odd session, it seemed like no-one around really managed enjoyable sessions, difficult to describe. My first PC game that turned me to RPGs was Myth: The Fallen Lords from 1997. Naturally I looked to buy the sequels when they came out, but the sequels caused me much windows compatibility pain and I couldn't even get one of them to run.

So next time in the shops, I looked for something that would give me a similar experience and there on the shelf was Icewind Dale. The back of the box showed little isometric characters throwing fireballs at undead (or whatever) and I thought "hey, this looks neat" and gave it a shot. I was so taken with it that my next purchase was Neverwinter Nights, which after both Myth and IWD was my first RPG mild letdown, but not drastically so.

So the credit goes to Myth and the first cRPG was IWD, '96-00 for me.

Early 80's, although it's hard for me to recognize an exact date. 'Adventure' on the Atari 2600 was the first RPG-like game that I can remember playing.

My first crpg was Dungeons of Daggorath on a Tandy TRS-80. I think that was in 1984.

Ultima III: Exodus on the NES was probably the game that hooked me on RPGs for good. Baldur's Gate made me realize how much I prefer western crpgs over JRPGs and console titles.

Adventure games first in 1987 (Kings Quest, Mystery Island, Castle Adventure)

Then for RPGs: 1989 was the big year. Bard's Tale III and Curse of the Azure Bonds on the C64.

I would insert a nice footnote for gamebooks as well which well and truly provided the foundation for a lifetime love of RPGs. (Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Golden Dragon, CYoA) :)

In the early 80s I owned a C64 and I loved simple top down dungeon crawlers

Gateway to Apshai
Telengard
Sword of Fargoal

I was about nine, and I used to love the Fighting Fantasy books, Lone Wolf and Way of the Tiger. I had to acquire them surreptitiously, because my folks thought they were violent trash. One day, I got a copy of Dragon Warriors, thinking it was another of those books, but it turned out to be a simple RPG system in a paperback. I started writing campaigns for my friends, and never bothered with the Fighting Fantasy books again.

First Crpg was probably the Bard's Tale.

Back
Top Bottom