THQ Nordic - Acquires Piranha Bytes

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming THQ Nordic has acquired Piranha Bytes and with it the IP for Gothic, Risen, and Elex.

THQ Nordic announced today that the acquisition of the Piranha Bytes team and trademark and the intellectual property Gothic has been finalised. Piranha Bytes' rights to Risen and ELEX were also acquired. The newly formed entity (Piranha Bytes GmbH, Essen, Germany) will host the entire development team and is a 100% subsidiary of THQ Nordic GmbH, based in Vienna, Austria.

[...]
More information.

Gosh they are buying out a lot of companies/IPs... I really hope they don't go down the similar path as EA...

Gosh they are buying out a lot of companies/IPs… I really hope they don't go down the similar path as EA…

Not to worry. There business model is producing lots of lower cost AA titles (compared to AAA standard) to hedge their bets. They made a lot of money last quarter which you can check out here:
http://www.thqnordic-investors.com/en/financial-reports/?releaseId=3313007

JANUARY–MARCH 2019

(Compared to January–March 2018)

Net sales increased 158% to SEK 1,630.5 m (632.9).
EBITDA increased 174% to SEK 618.6 m (225.9), corresponding to an EBITDA margin of 38%.
Operational EBIT increased 217% to SEK 395.9 m (124.9) corresponding to an Operational EBIT margin of 24%.
Cash flow from operating activities amounted to SEK 777.2 m (699.8).
Earnings per share was SEK 1.10 (1.02).

Good to hear! Hopefully, they will continue to support the developers/IP they've acquired, I really wish for the success of next Expeditions game :) IIRC, Deep Silver is also part of THQ Nordic, so I hope they will support Owlcats to create another stellar Pathfinder game as well!!!

Good to hear! Hopefully, they will continue to support the developers/IP they've acquired, I really wish for the success of next Expeditions game :) IIRC, Deep Silver is also part of THQ Nordic, so I hope they will support Owlcats to create another stellar Pathfinder game as well!!!

I'm curious what the next Expeditions game will be like with an appropriate level of funding and a q&a department. Should be quite the step up.

I wonder what this means for Elex 2.
Speaking of, do we know anything about it yet? Are they actually working on it?

I haven't heard anything specific. I do remember reading somewhere that they have planned an Elex 2 but were waiting to see how Elex was received before commiting to it. I think with this purchase that game will happen. THQ Nordic seem keen to give their teams creative freedom.

Interesting. THQ really is going bonkers. Time will tell how this turns out.

As for ELEX 2: It has already been confirmed, and given a EU grant for development. I assume this purchase doesn't change that, since it has been in development for well over a year. Probably closer to two.

All hail the great devourer of Ip's and developer's.:worship:

Like I said before they are one of the top gaming industry cannibals.

Wonder who will be next?o_O
I'm curious what the next Expeditions game will be like with an appropriate level of funding and a q&a department. Should be quite the step up.
You'll have to wait a few more years as they are developing Divinity: Fallen Heroes.
Sadly no just confirmation a sequel is in development.:(

What does history say about THQ acquiring studios and IPs. Have they already killed some of them or are they all alive and kicking?

Nordic doesn't kill studios and someone already wrote above - their idea is not EAization but Tencentization. Buy studios with potential, enrich and expand the publisher's catalogue with all sorts of different products that don't have to earn trillions aka, one's trash is another's treasure = more sales.
Does this mean Nordic Games' plans to launch their own Origin/uPlay/RockstarSocialClub/battlenet/EpicStore? Dunno, but if a publisher has numerous titles under their brand, it's a bit of a logical step.

About Elex 2, this Nordic's move is basically confirmation that it's in development. Nordic buys IPs exactly for reasons to make sequels other publishers aren't or weren't interested in.
Does this mean Gothic5 too? I surely hope it does.

My opinion on this? Unlike everyone else, I'm not 100% happy.

Instead of joining Nordic Games, there was another strategy Pluto13 could have gone for and to my disappointment it didn't.
What's PB's "biggest sin"? Lack of humor. Only Risen 3 had some hilarious stuff, but even then it was restricted to a sidekick you're currently with. Second "biggest"? Deep pen&papery RPG system, they just didn't try to make one.
Which made me dream about a collaboration of three developers on one game: PB, Larian and CDpr. Just try to imagine a game this trio can make only if they sat around the same table. An ultimate game of a decade - which is at the same time RPG of an epic scale, am I right?

Not saying this won't happen ever. It's still possible in some future, but it's kinda less probable now.

Anyway, for those interested in Nordic Games conference, just so you know today they are hosting two interesting topics:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-to-watch-at-the-nordic-game-conference-2019
Loot Boxes: Political and Public Perception
David Verbuggen, Ingames -- 22/05/2019, 12:15 - 13:00
The industry's use of loot boxes continues to prove divisive, and the case against was lent a great deal of credibility by a report published by the Belgian Gambling Commission last year. Ingames' David Verbuggen will examine the "witch-hunt" that followed the report, and expose the lack of knowledge behind the political and public perception of loot boxes.

Ethical monetisation
Crystin Cox, Microsoft PlayFab -- 22/05/2019, 15:15 - 16:00
In many ways, this is an ideal companion piece to the one above; after all, loot boxes are just the most controversial of myriad different monetisation techniques employed by games industry. In this talk, Microsoft PlayFab's Crystin Cox will explore the risk of unethical practices when trying to make money from video games -- an idea in line with Microsoft's broader push to make gaming a safer and healthier activity for all.
Hopefully we'll see a report or an article from these events soon.

Last edited:
I thought Expeditions:Vikings was by Logic Artists. I'm obviously missing something.

Independent studios are more creative but tend to struggle financially. I hate seeing good studios close their doors. I take this as good news for PB, if you are going to get owned, THQ are probably your best option.

Gothic Reloaded: Back to Khorinis ... anyone? :)

Probably few remasters of Gothic 1 and 2 initially.

We need something new to look forward to if they sell enough bones maybe we might live to see a new game that is better than Gothic 3. Imagine Gothic 2 with the scripting power of Kenshi.... I can dream.

Hmm not sure how I feel about this...THQ seems to be about game farming companies....get as much out as possible and hope for a hit.

Back
Top Bottom