Things you don't need to know...

About DST: I have no problems with it, don't take more than an hour to adjust.

But I don't see much point in it either. If the goal is to make evenings last longer, we might as well apply that to the whole year.

pibbur who didn't know that DST celebrates it's 101 birhtday this year.

Reddit had an event recently, where there had a 1000x1000 pixel canvas. A person could edit the picture of one pixel every five minutes, this is what happened.

http://wccftech.com/man-sleeping-by-his-charging-iphone-nearly-electrocuted/

A man from Huntsville, Ala, suffered severe burns after he was electrocuted while he was sleeping with his charging iPhone.

The incident took place on March 22, according to reports from The Washington Post. Wiley, 32-year old was a victim of second and third degree burns as reported by the paper.

Didn't see txa lately… Anyone can check if he is okay? :D

Anyway you don't want to know that…
…it's not iPhone's fault actually - the necklace was the culprit

Didn't see txa lately… Anyone can check if he is okay? :D

haha :) Yeah, I'm fine, just really busy lately … my game time has been crap, trying to at least read a little to relax.

Big thing is trying to keep electronics away from bed - only Kindle (i.e. no email, etc) ... so no chance of electrocution :)

Internet Noise
On March 28th, 2017 congress passed a law that makes it legal for your Internet Service Providers (ISP) to track and sell your personal activity online. This means that things you search for, buy, read, and say can be collected by corporations and used against you.

Click this button, and your browser will start passively loading random sites in browser tabs. Leave it running to fill their databases with noise. Just quit your browser when you're done.

Fun to watch too.

I thought Quantum physics was predictable. the only problem is that if you take measurements to make the predictions it will disrupt the results; so the solution is to know the predictions without taking measurements. Seem simple enough.

…Seem simple enough.
I think it's safe to say (probably according to mr Feynman) that if you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

pibbur who desperately hopes the opposite is also true.

PS: Terry Pratchett (RIP) on Schroedinger's Cat: "In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious. "DS.

Last edited:
Some nerdy joke wannabes. Not funny enough for the daily smile thread, perhaps. But I like them.

1. Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks “Do all of you want a drink?” The first logician says “I don’t know.” The second logician says “I don’t know.” The third logician says “Yes!”
  2. How can you tell the difference between a chemist and a plumber? Ask them to pronounce unionized.
  3. A Roman walks into a bar, holds up two fingers, and says, “Five beers, please”
  4. Entropy isn’t what it used to be
  5. Two men walk into a bar, the first orders H2O, the second says “I’ll have H2O too!” The second man dies.

pibbur who in his heart is both unionized and as in most of his body ionized.

PS. In this context, interpretation of the first one implicitely requires that it's looked upon strictly as a logic formula, no room for psychology or real life. DS.

How fast is your website worldwide? : Load Speed Test

The results for https://www.rpgwatch.com :

picture.php

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...book-became-home-to-psychopaths-facebook-live

How Facebook became a home to psychopaths

The man who shot dead an innocent 74-year-old, then posted his confession on Facebook Live, points up a worrying trend on social media

You don't need to know that before this article I thought Facebook is only a platform that earns $ on hating.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/psychedelic-drugs-induce-a-higher-state-of-consciousness/

People who have taken psychedelic drugs often attest to experiencing deep insight into their state of being. Now, researchers may have proven for the first time that these drugs can and do actually place those who take them into a higher state of consciousness.

While you don't need to know which drugs are those, you do need to know that I don't refuse anything grown naturally, but do not use any chemical dishwater or pills crap. Even if it's advertised as medicine, supplement or "healthy" stuff.

Won't help - got immune. I live on the second floor for ages, my friend lives on fifth - getting home or visiting… We never use elevators.

If by exercise you mean turning a normal human body into Hollywoodized steroids abomination in a gym, not gonna happen. For something like that, I'd have to switch my brain off. Muscles industry can't milk me.

But hey, you don't need to know any of it!

Some math jokes - I put them here because most of them do require some mathematics to understand (and appreciate):

A Mathematician and an Engineer attend a lecture by a Physicist. The topic concerns Kulza-Klein theories involving physical processes that occur in spaces with dimensions of 9, 12 and even higher. The Mathematician is sitting, clearly enjoying the lecture, while the Engineer is frowning and looking generally confused and puzzled. By the end the Engineer has a terrible headache. At the end, the Mathematician comments about the wonderful lecture. The Engineer says "How do you understand this stuff?"
Mathematician: "I just visualize the process"
Engineer: "How can you POSSIBLY visualize something that occurs in 9-dimensional space?"
Mathematician: "Easy, first visualize it in N-dimensional space, then let N go to 9"

E=Mc^2=M(a^2+b^2)

The shortest joke of them all: Let ε < 0 (or Let ε <= 0)

The shortest math book: An Unabridged List of the Even Primes

The oldest topologist joke: A topologist is a person who doesn't know the difference between a coffee cup and a doughnut.

And if you are familiar with Paul Erdös, you should appreciate the following quote, attributed to him: "Another roof, another proof".

pibbur who may explain some of them in a later post

PS There's also this variation of the well known 10 types of people jok:
1. Those who understand binary
2. Those who don't understand binary
3. Those who didn't expect a base 3 joke.
DS

Last edited:
No need to explain any of them except Paul Erdös - never heard of him.
E=mc^2 is brilliant, I bet in some future it happens not to be a joke at all, we know basically nothing about zeromass particles behavior. I love that 10 types of people too. ;)

Paul Erdõs (1913-1996) was an eccentric, hungarian mathematician. With more than 1500 published papers, he's one of the most prolific scientists ever. According to Wikipedia he "devoted his waking hours to mathematics, even into his later years—indeed, his death came only hours after solving a geometry problem in a conference in Warsaw.".

He preferred to work together with other mathematicians, more than 500 coauthors. He basically lived in his suitcase, traveling between scientific conferences, universities and the homes of colleagues all over the world, always working. Hence "Another roof, another proof".

His extensive collaboration is the background for the famous Erdõs number. Any of those 500+ who published a paper with him has an Erdõs number of 1 . Anyone who has published a paper with a number 1 author (themselves not one of them), is assigned number 2. Number 3 is given to everyone having published with a number 2, and so on.

I guess that most people having published something with a collaborator in the natural sciences have a finite Erdõs number.

There are similar numbers out there. We have for instance the Kevin Bacon number, describing similar professional relations between actors.

pibbur who claims to be pibbur number 0.

PS. He created a rather peculiar vocabulary for himself. For instance, he used to refer to children (he had none himself) as epsilons, after the symbol ε typically used in calculus to denote arbitrarily small positive quantities, for instance in the definition of limits. DS.

PPS. Now you also know why mathematicians may find "let ε<0" funny. DS.

PPPS. Come to think of it, they might laugh even more if I proposed "let |ε|<0". Except if I wrote it during an exam. DS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom