Earthlock - Early Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The PC version of Earthlock: Festival of Magic will be available on September 9 - here are two early reviews:

Xbox Achievements:

Hands-On Preview - Earthlock: Festival of Magic

[...]

So while it doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel as far as JRPGs go, and I can't promise it will change your mind about the genre or turn-based combat if you weren't already a fan, I can say that it hits all the right notes and provides a wonderfully charming experience throughout. There are enough unique additions on top of all the classic staples that it didn't feel like a cheap imitation, but a true JRPG that can stand on its own. Earthlock: Festival of Magic is out tomorrow. Give it a try.
GamingBolt:

Earthlock: Festival of Magic Review –
Charmingly Average

[...]

RPGs are known for a lot of things: battle systems, characters and story. And right there are the three main focuses Earthlock only dabbles ever so slightly in. The story of Earthlock is as stereotypical as it can be. I would consider this a “first timers” style of RPG. There are no story elements that are too complicated to understand; no character deep enough to really theorize with, or contemplate their emotions; there are no elements in the game even the most amateur player could not understand and catch onto even without reading the instructions of battle. With that being said, this game is charming and brings back that sense of childhood when games were at a simpler time. When you could sit back, relax and just go. And that’s what this game’s legacy will be: a relaxing walk in the park. However, the thing about living in the world of video games is that around that enclosed park are thousands of more exhilarating parks with even bigger and better rides.

Score: 6/10
Trailer:

More information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom