Star Wolves 3 - Review @ bit-tech

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's another review for Star Wolves 3, with bit-tech handing down a 3/10 and unequivocal statements like these:
Star Wolves 3 is essentially a hybrid RTS/RPG. There are four character classes to choose from, each with a suitably deep skill tree that unlocks many perks for that give class. As you make your way through space, you can pick up wings of mercenary pilots to fight by your side and squash the efforts of evil pirates who want to gun you down. You roam the vast expanses of space via portals and visit space stations and other celestial gubbins in a bid to work hard and better your lot in life. The story is dynamic and there are, apparently, several endings to the game. It all sounds very promising.

Without giving too much away in the opening of the review though, our first few hours of playing were just about the worst couple of hours spent gaming in our entire lives.
Here's a video trailer at Softpedia, just in case the review hasn't completely drained any interest. Thanks to Omega for both.
More information.

I agree that controls are awkward and considering that this is already the third game in the series, the developers could have improved them, but it takes only a couple hours to get to used to them. All in all when I read the review I felt that it was very biased, almost like a hate or flame post on forms.

The gameplay (including controls) is exactly like in the first two games. And if you check Metacritic, the first game has an avarage score of 61/100 (userscore 82/100).

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/starwolves?q=star wolves

Definitely, this isnt a game for a "mainstreem" player, but fans of RPG (RTS) + spacesims should give it a try. Im enjoying it a lot (but dont take "hard" difficulty setting than it will turn into save/load madness).

(but dont take "hard" difficulty setting than it will turn into save/load madness).

"Save hard" / "Load hard" ? ;)

I know what you mean, though. ;)

It really wasn't a good review at all. Too focused on the technical aspects and not the game itself.

Is there even anything about the story or RPG part? A bunch of it requires blah blah blah to be inserted.

Been playing it for a few hours. Doesn't seem bad at all, I'm actually quite enjoying it. Aside from bad english and low production values I don't see anything wrong with the game.

There are no fancy cutscenes, or fully voiced over dialogue, but story seems interesting(although at the moment I'm still struggling to get my first mothership in working order, still no "real" story). There is plenty of dialogue to read, plus mails, journal entries, and many many news entries that all change depending on the actions you do in the world. All the quests I encountered so far offered multiple choices and very different consequences. You need to make the right choices to get the best reward. But like I said the english translation is bad at certain parts(although barely noticable, most of it is okay considering the amount of text).

There is also the standard RPG stuff like looting, trading, upgrading ships, skill trees, etc.

Controls are a bit messed up and rarely do what you want them to, but I'm starting to get used to them, not that this ever bothered me. I haven't encountered any bugs yet either(aside from spelling errors).

If you like rpgs, you'll like this game. I haven't read the review but I definitely do not see why it got such a low score. One possible reason is that is very similar to previous star wolves games. But that's a good thing in my book. Definately worth at least a try.

Back
Top Bottom