What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I ended up watching this since it was free on amazon prime.

I'm mixed about the movie as in i'm not sure i liked it or not. That is the acting was well done and I think it is a lot deeper than 'addiction' but I had one fundamental problem with the premise as it relates to the story mover that sort of destroys the movie for myself.

Another movie I watched today was called Auggie.

Link - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7596220/

It was the usual man falls in love with an AI. It's mostly about addiction.

I'd give it 7/10 so not a must watch but it was decent.

Last edited:
I was watching (or trying to watch) the latest Star Wars film and I just couldn't stomach it anymore. It reminded me of something I would have written when I was 8 years old, with senseless contrivances that make absolutely no sense.

Case in point:
  • Our heroic troupe's land speeders get blown out from under them.
  • Said speeders fall apart like Legos, our troupe is perfectly fine, but they've landed in quicksand. Oh no.
  • Quicksand swallows them up, but now they've found themselves in caves underneath the quicksand. Because that's how things work.
  • PLOT TWIST. Caves actually have Sith artifacts that they had just started their search for 5 minutes prior.
  • Luckily, the first thing they run across in this place is a map to the Sith homeworld that Luke had supposedly spent years looking for. Too bad he didn't have Disney's writing team on his side.

Right around now is when I stopped watching. Omg, that was bad. Like 1/10, forced to watch Disney channel w/ my niece bad.

I was watching (or trying to watch) the latest Star Wars film and I just couldn't stomach it anymore.

I have a thread talking about the Prequel/Sequels - would love to have you jump in there.

But ultimately I agree. Rise of Skywalker was an all-out thrill-ride full of fan-service that completely falls apart the second you begin to think about it and for me has taken down the entire sequel trilogy! Ugh.

I'm fed up with boasting how much of $ Pikachu, and now Sonic, movies made. Not interested in any of that crap. Y'hear mainstream media (and shills)?

I want to watch, desperately, another videogame2movie adaptation. But it wasn't screening anywhere near me and can't find it on streams. Yet.

Inspired by the critically acclaimed horror adventure on Steam of the same name.

I saw "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. Fantastic action movie, a must see. (the sequel isn't that good though)

And re-watched a great thriller I saw many years ago, "Vantage Point", just a superb thriller about a political assassination, and how the perspective changes and the truth is altered when seen from different angles.

Both of these movies can be rented on Amazon for a pretty cheap price.

For better or worse Equalizer 3 is due out one of these years...
-
I don't think Equalizer 2 was a bad movie - it was just a bit slower pace and definitely a more outlandish disjoint story. Hum. Ok ok i guess you said that.

I saw "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. Fantastic action movie, a must see. (the sequel isn't that good though)

And re-watched a great thriller I saw many years ago, "Vantage Point", just a superb thriller about a political assassination, and how the perspective changes and the truth is altered when seen from different angles.

Lemme disagree on "Equalizer" movies, both are IMO mediocre and would be even worse if Washington wasn't the lead. In other words, not a must see. :)
Go for "The Commuter" or "21 Bridges" instead.

"Vantage Point" was mentioned before in this thread. It tried to reinvent Rashomon storytelling style by making perspectives nonbiased, but critics for some reason didn't like the result. I do respect it's authors who in idealess copypasting Hollywood dared to try something new, but I refused to watch it because it's not about just any political assassination. It's about USA president assassination which is something I can't care less about, sorry. Well, unless it's FO2 movie. And it isn't. ;)
Because I basically skip USA president movies can't suggest any alternatives. :( Someone help with suggestions please.

Last edited:
I just watched the short film (17 minutes) ‘What did Jack do?’, cast David Lynch, director David Lynch, on Netflix.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11644096/
First thing that came to me after watching it: ‘Wha... what did I just watch?’
Strange but in a funny way. Entertaining. 7/10.

Seems I've watched quite a few movies lately.

I can't even remember if I've mentioned some of these before, but here goes:

1917 7.5/10

Excellent film. Lovingly crafted - but slightly style over substance.

Parasite 7.5/10

Saw this a few months ago because of an absurdly high rating. I liked it - but wasn't blown away. The twist was neat - but I more or less predicted the ending. I don't think I agree that it's Oscar material. In fact, I know I don't - but it's a good and interesting little film.

Train to Busan 8/10

This was not really what I was expecting or looking for. Didn't find it scary - but I found it very touching and original. Really quite good.

Marriage Story 9/10

Well, it was superb. Fantastic script, fantastic acting - and fantastic pretty much everything.

Midnight Special 7/10

Quite good. Interesting premise. A little on the simple and derivative side - but well executed. I recommend it.

Deep Star Six 5.5/10

For some reason, I never managed to watch this. I'm a big sucker for underwater movies - especially when it's sci-fi horror-ish.

Well, it was overall kinda decent. Some terrible actors and awkward production values aside - this was actually worth a watch. A little below the slightly underrated Leviathan - but not by much.

Doctor Sleep 7/10

Pretty good. I'm not a big fan of The Shining - but I do like it. I think Kubrick is mostly a hoax, to be honest - but what do I know. But this sequel was better than expected - and had some pretty cool stuff in it, and I think King did a great job writing a sequel to his old classic.

Meh.

Wanna watch, desperately:

That's not the only one, I'm excited about Retfærdighedens ryttere, but there's no trailer yet.

Watched The Door finally, after all these years, and it's very good:

Some more fun hidden gems I saw recently:

The Brave One (2007) Starring Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard. It's effectively Joker but without the super-hero stuff.

Foster plays a Radio presenter who's future hubby-to-be gets brutally murdered while they are out being romantic, she herself surviving via a coma. When she awakens from the coma she's changed. Oh boy, has she changed. She's off to buy a gun. She's going on the offensive. But not standard action hero revenge/vigilante style, much more craftily done and more in the slow build style of Taxi Driver or Joker. Only 4/5 though as the ending's a bit crap.

Here's her version of "shooting the 'tards on the subway" scene:

960__brave_one_X04_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

Theeb (2014) is a spaghetti western film from Saudi Arabia, so a Kabsa western if you like, starring no-one I've ever heard of before and, surprisingly, lead by a child actor who isn't crap.

It's set during the first world war when the Saudis allied with the English against the Ottoman Turks, though neither the English nor the Turks play any real part in the movie, a bit like how the North and the South didn't play much of a part in The Good The Bad and The Ugly but just provided a cool atmospheric backdrop.

The meat of the film sees our good guys and the kid square off against the desert and the suitably menacing bandits. Lots of atmospheric camera work, tense stand-offs and shoot-outs, just lacking the oomph of some Morricone music to put the icing on the cake. 4/5.

theeb-2014-019-production-still-jacir-eid-as-theeb-alone-in-red-desert-jordan-by-laith-majali.jpg

Locke (2013) is an acting showcase for Tom Hardy. Literally, he's the only actor you see in the entire film. Set in real-time we watch Hardy as he drives from Wales to London, trying to sort out a myriad of life's problems via his hand's free telephone along the way.

Not much to say here, watching Hardy drive for 75 minutes is remarkably and surprisingly gripping and entertaining. Who'd have thunked just a good script and good acting and literally nothing else could work so well.

Again, a bit of a meh ending though so just the 4/5.

Some complete bullshit I also saw:

Any Man's Death (1990) would make for an entertaining watch if you ran a YouTube channel ripping apart shit movies or compiling a list of worst movies of all time. Crap in literally every department. 0/10

Blind Terror (2001) is at least good for reminding one that Natasha Kinski was once a leading lady for TV movies? Dunno, was she ever a thing? Anyway, it's an ok'ish plot-twisty creeper stalker kind of film but more thriller than horror. I guess it does just enough to make one not want to be too mean to it 5/10.

Death Sentence (2007) is a Kevin Bacon film. He's a man driven to seek mean vengeance on the gang of druggies who killed his kid. It follows pretty much every cliché of this routine that you'd expect and never in any kind of interesting or novel way and, worse, makes one facepalm at all the dumb things people do while going through the motions. Motions that were already cliché over 20 years before this film bothered to dribble into existence.

One advantage of it being so utterly retarded is that at least every single death scene, even those of the good guys, is very enjoyably cathartic 3/10.

Last edited:
Finally watched The Irishman, American mafia has always interested me, NYC families in particular, but I'm not entirely familiar with the Pittston & Detroit brugads. Buffalino's role in the whole story is exaggerated. The Gallo hit as shown in the movie is laughable, it is well known that it was done by Colombos themselves, but Sheehan seems to suffer from the same virus like the iceman Kuklinski who was involved in every famous hit and 'knew everyone'. The movie perceives every mob urban legend as true (Kennedy hit, his father's involvement with organized crime, winning the election for nixon etc) and this gets really old really fast. Pesci was great and in retrospect looks similar to Buffalino, kinda how he was to DeSimone in Goodfellas. Pacino was solid as always, while Deniro brought some retardness into his character, he just seemed slow. There was also something off in the way he moved throughout the movie, you can retouche a face but can't replace a 80 year old body. The end result just looks bumbling and silly. The movie is way to long, especially that last 20 minutes. Disregarding the historical aspect as a movie it's solid, but not the best Scorsese has made.

Well I can't. A few dramas I watched she was in were all horrible, not her fault though, she tried her best. I have nightmares from Anna and the King. In fact no, these nightmares are from media shills talking me into watching that garbage, there was a moment when every newspaper praised that rubbish.

Never heard of it joxer. I recommend you clear you cookies and be more selective about who you allow to advertise to you ;) :D

Man it was cca 20 years ago. What cookies. :D

Rarely I watch movie trailers, most of those suck, but when someone recommends me…
I want to see this movie asap (Alrik, stay away from this trailer!)

Onwards is a nice movie, but it just doesn't have bite and is mostly very harmless ... But a good entry for anyone who doesn't know what Fantasy or role-playing is about !

I'd agree about the Stand, I re-watched it last year and found it almost as good as when I first viewed it. I'd be afraid to see a remake now, it would likely be full of whiny little annoying characters complaining about their mobiles not working. -xxx

Back
Top Bottom