RPG Codex - GOTY 2019 Results

Shows how bad the year was.

But come on, the main thing is the graph -- you can discover gems like Titan Outpost there...

But come on, the main thing is the graph -- you can discover gems like Titan Outpost there…

One small drawback here… Codex is quite chock-full of developers, all of whom will undoubtedly have their handfull of aggressive and passive aggressive 'normal' posters which, when combined, will always skew the results of these smaller games to having greater top-end ratings.

If a game has only a 5% played or less, is very indy, and on top of that gets well into the right hand side of the graph you can bet your bottom dollar that it's highly likely the developer is a 'friend' of the site ;)

[this doesn't mean the game is either good or bad though, of course]

So, "against the flow" Codex crowns the mainstrem media love as #1 RPG.
Didn't expect that, but well, I guess they need to troll differently each year.
Don't misunderstand please, I love No Truce With the Furies, but from Codex I expected to hate it because almost everyone loves this game. I mean, it's Codex' modus operandi for decades now.

The rest of entries… "meh" or "lol".
Best remake? A remake that's not remake at all but again an atrocious grinder for god's sakes.

Agreed, Slay the Spire is fairly simplistic, and that's what makes it so bloody brilliant. You don't need five hundred things going on all at once to be thoroughly entertained, if two to three things are implemented well, you'll have a most excellent time. And that is exactly what Slay the Spire pulled off.

I should try a demo of Slay the Spire if there is one. The only card game I ever enjoyed, on a pc, is Arcomage from Might and Magic. I tried Magic the gathering, Gwent, and a few others but they never grabbed me. I generally dislike strategy games....

I should try a demo of Slay the Spire if there is one. The only card game I ever enjoyed, on a pc, is Arcomage from Might and Magic. I tried Magic the gathering, Gwent, and a few others but they never grabbed me. I generally dislike strategy games….

Slay the Spire isn't a card game per se, not in the way Gwent or Magic are anyway. It's more of a roguelike game where your abilities are represented by cards, and rolled at random within the deck you collect. It's a very fun game though, I recommend you try it out.

I'm quite sure that at least two games in the top 3 of the RPGWatch GOTY will be different :)

I'll also add this caveat: I've only played maybe two other computer games that had cards as a mechanic, and I didn't really care for that aspect of the game. Slay the Spire though made the cards more seamless and relevant, or at least that's my perception of why that mechanic actually enhanced the game.

Didn't realize that Slay the Spire was a 2019 game. I fully support it being on a game of the year list, although I'm not sure I'd include it in a RPG list. But I suppose you have a character who learns new abilities, grows in power, and collects gear. So it's probably as much of a RPG as many other games we don't question, it's just to me it's more of it's own genre.

Never even heard of Titan Outpost, I may have to check it out.

Never even heard of Titan Outpost, I may have to check it out.

I'll also do that soon. A hard scifi, base-building RPG hybrid from an indie studio... sounds pretty cool. I've had a look at the gameplay video from steam; Especially the outdoor parts really seem to nail it in terms of atmosphere.

(Although, I would probably have skipped voice acting and went for painted 2D avatars instead of animated faces.)

I also appreciate the heads up about Titan Outpost. Looks interesting.

I do like the graph they put out.

Queens wish is not ranked as high as I would have suspected. The percentage of people who played is what I expected but I would have thought most of those people would be spiderweb fans. As kind of a self selecting group I would have thought they'd have liked it more.

Titan outpost was played by almost no one but those that did all loved it. Might have to check it out.

For a somewhat recent release I'm surprised by how many people played disco Elysium already.

Operencia was also very well received by the few who played it.

I'd also like to note that Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark did as well as Operncia among those who played them and personally having played both, I think Fell Seal is the better game. Neither game has a great story, and Fell Seal has the better gameplay (IMO). Just thought I'd shamelessly plug my GOTY choice.

Slay the Spire is a lot of fun. It got its fourth character not long ago. I wouldn't call it an RPG in any universe, but give it a try if you haven't and you like card games.

I'd also like to note that Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark did as well as Operncia among those who played them and personally having played both, I think Fell Seal is the better game. Neither game has a great story, and Fell Seal has the better gameplay (IMO). Just thought I'd shamelessly plug my GOTY choice.
Uff, that one is a jrpg. I skip those immediately.

But come on, the main thing is the graph -- you can discover gems like Titan Outpost there…

Paranoia was rated so poorly? It hasn't even been released yet. I guess somebody had a grudge.

Uff, that one is a jrpg. I skip those immediately.

What makes it a jrpg? The developers aren't Japanese. The graphics aren't traditional JRPG graphics either. The story isn't as different as in most Japanese games either, if anything its almost too generic. The gameplay inspired by Japanese tactic games though. It has very deep unit customization. Have you ever played one of these types of games? What exactly turns you off about it?

If anyone skips Fell Seal simply on appearances, and they consider themselves a turn based fan, you're depriving yourself of a great game. That isn't opinion, that is a fact. And you're likely depriving yourself of many other fine games that put most triple a products to absolute shame.

Back
Top Bottom