EA - Asks about Interest in Dragon Age Tactics

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@gameinformer, Mark Darrah asks via tweet whether anyone would be interested in a Dragon Age Tactics game like XCOM or Fire Emblem. The poll has four choices: Yes!, No, Only on PC, and Only Mobile/Handheld.

Been playing some Fire Emblem or XCOM lately and thought "I really dig this but wish it was more Dragon Agey?" You might not be alone in that yearning.

Mark Darrah, the executive producer on Dragon Age, recently took to Twitter to start a poll asking users if they'd be interested in a tactics game within the Dragon Age universe and what platforms they'd play this hypothetical game on:

Would you play a Dragon Age Tactics game?
- Mark Darrah (@BioMarkDarrah) February 19, 2016

He then provided some clarification on what he meant when he said "tactics":

tactics as in a game like Fire Emblem or XCom
- Mark Darrah (@BioMarkDarrah) February 19, 2016
More information.

I would play that :D

Does this mean Xcom 2 will usher in a new era of high budget turn based games? :) :)

Perhaps EA are realising there is a viable market for turn based strategy on pc. I mean the last XCOM sold 5 million and little to none on console.

I'm interested in anything Tactics, doesn't have to be Dragon Age. Make "Kitchen Utensil Tactics" and I'll probably buy it (forks are so OP though).

If the poll is on social networks, it's most probably Facebook game by Zynga.
Game? More like cowclicker.

I would love a turn based dragon age, I'm just not sure that today's Bioware is capable of making a truly great one. Even if the residual talent that EA hasn't driven away were capable, not sure EA would allowed them the freedom to do it.

Last edited:
Where's the option: "Maybe, if it actually manages not to suck and isn't tied to the Origin sales platform?"

I feel like a game-mechanic departure like this should be done in more side-stories/side-games, but that being said, I'd love a turn-based game set in the Dragon Age world.

Not on mobile though :p

Not a bad idea, oh EA, no thanks I'll pass!

XCOM and Fire Emblem are QUITE different games. So they basically have no idea of the kind of game they want to make, just trying to see if there's a market. EA never changes.

Either one wouldn't necessarily be a bad game. Unfortunately I do see your point. This is essentially a bad kind of Hollywood pitch proposal: "It's like X which makes money but with this new Y twist to innovate! We'll clean up baby! Can't lose baby!"

Gah. That kind of talk makes me break out in hives because I *know* it's not just a cliche. There are B and C level business majors who really think they sound intelligent while displaying their ignorance about a business deal.

XCOM and Fire Emblem are QUITE different games. So they basically have no idea of the kind of game they want to make, just trying to see if there's a market. EA never changes.

They are both isometric tactical squad turn-based combat games with character leveling. I don't think Darrah was pushing the comparison farther than that.

Facebook.

Interesting… If they do it more like XCom and less like the many chess-ish clones (Banner Saga, etc), I'd be in. That said, I think shooting over distance with the rare melee attack is what makes X-com fun in that large maps, cover, varying levels, etc adds a lot of drama. In Dragon Age and other fantasy, it's primarily melee, so I'm not sure how it would translate.

I would not play it on FB, Android, etc so it would have to be a high-end gaming experience for me to bother.

Back
Top Bottom