Swords & Sorcery: Underworld - Classic Gaming

I kicked myself in the butt & started revamping.

Here's a screenie of wip.

- Mouse will be enabled. Only the page above has it as of now. There's still quite a few left.
- I only just got started on the walls.
- Quite a few more screens to repaint.
- directional pad still missing.

What do you think?

5:40 AM. Time to collapse.

Poor guy, cant even catch a break from the "graphics dont matter" crowd !

You guys should be eating this up, id think this would be right up your alley: small dev working himself to the bone to bust out a purist experience for you hardcore grognards, and here you are blowing him off because his graphics aint up to snuff. I thought that I was the big graphics whore here!

I think some of us will play it Samhain, eventually. I'll probably give at least the demo a try, but I would encourage Charles to keep upgrading the engine to the best of his abilities, ONLY if he plans on making more games. His stuff isn't up to snuff. If it was just a test to see if he could code and release something, then he's succeeded. If he's wanting to become an idie developer who could make a living or an additional income, then he needs a lot of work still. 99% of indie developers making crpg games end up making one game. It's too much work for the ROI.

There are grognards here? Who's Napoleon? :)

Discovered a thing that perhaps I ougth to keep quiet about but here goes

I´m able to sidestep the demo limitations if I go back to the stairs to the inn after going down in the catacombs and answer no to if I want to return to town i get teleported out in the catacombs proper

M

Thanks for the heads up M. I checked the code & yes, it teleports 1 square north of where I wanted it to.

Now here are the reasons not to take advantage of my klutsiness.

1. It's not nice.
2. I only debugged the demo on the first 2 levels. After the catacombs, you're in for a rough ride :)
3. You can't go beyond the lvl2 spells in the demo.
4. I took out all the graphics that weren't meant to be shown post demo.
5. It's really not nice.

Underworld now has an update to it, moving things on along in accordance with bits of feedback and whatnot.

- mouse is enabled
- graphic interface is now blueish gray instead of black Smile
- more items & monsters
- signs above shop doors (and various other locations) visible from a distance
- overhead map is larger
- some sound effects
- full version can now read the demo's save file (no need to start over)
- F1 disables / enables the mouse (this also deactivates the objects and makes the game a little faster)
- F4 toggles full screen with 1024x768 (that was actually there before but I never mentionned it)
- F8 cheat codes (undisclosed). I added those mainly because the upgrade isn't compatible with v1 so current players unfortunately have to start over.
- help popups that only show once (three ways to move around, characters that run out of hp are ko and can be healed).
- A (h)elp button that opens the site's help page (UW details).

There's also an explanatory trailer that walks ones through the gist of general doings, creation, and so forth.

I think a lot of people greatly underestimate the amount of work required to make an RPG game. While coding is really tough and more than enough for one person.

The graphics is probably the most time consuming of all. Even if it is not the case for this project to draw everything even with graphics like this still take quite some time.

Hi Gothic,

I don't know if effort counts that much though. Are the graphics still a problem though at this stage? Also I have doubts about the pricing. I probably should have waited a few days to forget the strain, it might have made me take a bad decision there.

Hi Alrik,

You mean of creating one or finding one to play?

Back
Top Bottom