NWN:HotU ...OC playthrough required?

I hate high level D&D, so I like the lowered level campaigns. I enjoyed both original campaigns. Couldn't stand MotB but that was because of the high level stuff, not the story. The story looks like it might have been good, but I couldn't get past killing gods by accidentally sneezing.

I hate high level D&D, so I like the lowered level campaigns. I enjoyed both original campaigns. Couldn't stand MotB but that was because of the high level stuff, not the story. The story looks like it might have been good, but I couldn't get past killing gods by accidentally sneezing.

As much as I loved Baldur's Gate 1&2, I couldn't finish Throne of Bhaal for that exact reason. I definitely prefer the low to mid level game in D&D.

I actually prefer mid-to-high levels, mainly due to casters. I simply can't stand low level mages/sorcerers. They're useless. Clerics and Druids are a wee bit better as they can actually fight, but they're not much use as casters until later on.

Also, one of my favorite classes - Monk - is so rubbish it's a disgrace until mid-to-high levels. Then they skyrocket and become too powerful in a few levels. The whole process is not exactly well balanced.

Edit:

Hm? Kill gods? Pretty sure you can't kill any deities in MotB. Not even close.

I actually prefer mid-to-high levels, mainly due to casters. I simply can't stand low level mages/sorcerers.
Same here. And how well high levels are done depends on how the enemies are done and what the general difficulty is. For example, in MoTB playing as a wizard or sorcerer is very difficult despite very high levels. In HoTU it's a piece of cake.

I couldn't even finish two optional fights in MoTB, the one in the Ice Lodge and the one in a random cave with a regenerating jaguar. High levels didn't exactly help.

Necro…

Recently wrapped up SoU. Been playing HotU now and already enjoying it considerably more.

Got a question on henchmen picks… As a rogue PC, I've decided to take Deekin and… who else? I love Tomi's dialogue but obviously he's out since he'd be redundant. So, trying to decide between the badassery of the orc, Daelan Redtiger, and the oh-so-annoying goodie goodie cleric, Linu.

I've barely started the game but have already run into stat damage and disease on my rogue which makes me want to grudgingly take the cleric along despite my reservations on how boring she is and annoying with her use of "dear".

My question: does the need for a cleric continue on through HotU with poisons, disease, level drains, and other generally bad stuff? And, since I can't explicitly tell Linu to cast a specific spell, how is her AI in regard to all the above?

edit: nevermind; I've advanced far enough to realize how transitory these henchmen are...

Last edited:
Deekin can remain at all times though if you want to stick with him.

Deekin can remain at all times though if you want to stick with him.

Yeah, I ended up keeping him throughout the game. Unfortunately, Deekin is pretty much dead weight until far, far later in the game when he gets his full suite of RDD stats.

You can tell companions with two classes in HotU to only focus on a specific class. By default they will go 50/50.

I actually prefer to tell Deekin to stick with the Bard levels to maximize his bard song. He generally won't ever be good in a fight, but that song will really amplify the power of the main hero. It's flat out amazing on epic levels.

Back
Top Bottom