Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Annoucement - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Annoucement

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Annoucement

February 12th, 2021, 21:44
Redglyph spotted a pre-patch announcement for the next Baldur's Gate 3 update:

Hello everyone!

It sounds crazy, but we haven't spoken since last year! My, how you've grown. Let's hope this year will bring brighter cheer. You might have noticed the Larian Twitter handle mentions Patch 4 brewing, and it's been that way since the launch of Patch 3. It's taken a while, but we're finally ready to talk about it… soon.

Patch 4 is right around the corner. We can't be more specific than that at the moment, but look, today we announced the Panel From Hell 2! Mark your calendars, on February 17th at 10am PT we're going back to Hell.

Following the success of last year's live streamed event, the Panel from Hell is making its chaotic return. Featuring Principal Rules Designer of Dungeons & Dragons Jeremy Crawford, Creative Director Swen Vincke and guests Nick Pechenin, David Walgrave and more, next week's stream promises to reveal a heaving assembly of news and updates for Baldur's Gate 3 - including the biggest patch note ever forged in the fiery pits of Larian.

Panel from Hell 2 will also unveil the ways Larian is meeting the challenge of BG3, along with a peek at newly improved cinematics, Tieflings, spells and cows, oh my! And wrapping up the show, we'll be live streaming the latest content from Baldur's Gate 3's biggest update yet.

We look forward to having you join us next week!

As for the patch itself, this amount of changes is invariably going to invalidate previous saves. That means saves prior to Patch 4's release will not be compatible with Patch 4.

That said, we're again branching out with the same solution as before. If you're already accustomed to this as a hardened Patch 3 veteran, then simply follow the same steps as before and skip the text at the bottom of this post, because it's not new text and it's quite long.

Hopefully, once you've tuned into the Panel From Hell 2 you'll have better clarity on what's inside, but also a new yearning to re-roll. Hmmmmmmm!

How to keep playing on Patch 3:

The secondary branch will be the previous version, but the primary branch (default download) will be the latest version. To access the secondary branch, do the following:

• Right click on the game in your Steam library
  • Select properties
  • Click the BETAS tab
  • In the list under "Select the beta you would like to opt in to", select patch3
  • Close the properties menu
[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 22:13
Ah, delusions of grandeur. Hey I'm announcing I'm a gonna announce something. Please look at me.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 22:19
People who want to continue their playthrough are thankful for anouncements like this. I think most developers don't care if save games break in EA or beta stages.

Kylex

Watcher

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 22:21
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Ah, delusions of grandeur. Hey I'm announcing I'm a gonna announce something. Please look at me.
You forgot to announce that.

The first comment there is a complaint that they have been quiet for three months. Three months while developing a game! In my younghood, it took three months to get an answer to a letter. Man, we have been spoiled by social media…I guess that's another reason for the announcement. People just expect the studios to use their time to write crap to their fans.

largh

Sentinel

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 22:55
Originally Posted by largh View Post
You forgot to announce that.

The first comment there is a complaint that they have been quiet for three months. Three months while developing a game! In my younghood, it took three months to get an answer to a letter. Man, we have been spoiled by social media…I guess that's another reason for the announcement. People just expect the studios to use their time to write crap to their fans.
Well, yes. We have better tool of communication, nowadays. Shame on the customers to expect the companies they deal with to use them ;-)

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

February 12th, 2021, 23:03
Haha, my post came out as if I was an old grump, which I am

largh

Sentinel

February 12th, 2021, 23:05
They don't release news as frequently as others, but it's nice they announce such patches early enough so players can decide what to do about their saved gameplay.

I'm curious about this panel and what they'll discuss on their process, those are often interesting bits. Europeans are lucky with the timing - it seems it's often the case since many RPG devs are located between CET and Moscow time

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

February 12th, 2021, 23:20
The last panel was entertaining even though I did not watch it live. They'll record it, so the time zone does not matter unless you want to be part of those live-choice activities.

largh

Sentinel

+1:

February 13th, 2021, 00:35
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Someone beat me to it. These announcements of an announcements are getting out of hand. Still doesn't surprise me given the current culture of instant gratification.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)

February 13th, 2021, 10:36
And that's what happens when one only reads the title

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

February 13th, 2021, 11:02
Nah this is gaming news nowadays.

--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
+1:

February 13th, 2021, 12:20
Originally Posted by largh View Post
Haha, my post came out as if I was an old grump, which I am
You're my friend for ever

a grumpy incarnation of pibbur whose level is 66 (on the ironman real time server)
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

February 13th, 2021, 12:23
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Nah this is gaming news nowadays.

public static void announcement(string message="")
{
announcement();
}
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

a pibbur

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

February 13th, 2021, 18:50
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
public static void announcement(string message="")
{
announcement();
}
At least it's tail-recursive

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

February 13th, 2021, 20:02
Hmmm… this post caught me off-guard HiddenX. Can we get an announcement post next time before you post? Much appreciated.

Seriously though, that is the nature of the world and how things change. It is easy to be critical of those changes… especially for us older guys but the fact is, it's not all bad. I was having a Zoom call with two old friends, both living in other parts of the world. I pulled out a box of letters from when we used to write each other in the late 80s/early 90s… we were getting misty-eyed reminiscing about the good old days but then someone pointed out how cool it was to be able to chat in real-time and see each others faces, all while living on different continents.

So, yeah, count me as an older fart who occasionally shakes his head at things these days but I wouldn't want to go back to those old days either (cause, like, my eyes are too bad to play text adventure games now).

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 13th, 2021, 21:29
Yeah, but why it seems people do not have respect nor patience these days? They have been busy. Give them time (not you)! Sure they'll come up with something cool when they have something to tell (was it next week). Otherwise, it's just gonna be announcements of announcements. Or perhaps they should break their stuff into smaller bits. Then one can release a little bit every week and it appears the devs are "communicating to their fans".

largh

Sentinel

February 13th, 2021, 22:16
Guys, I must be tired because I don't get this "announcement of announcement" that seems to bother some of you.

When I read their post, I see that 1) they've planned a webcast, during which they'll explain their process, and tell us what will change next. 2) They also give a heads-up to people who want to keep their current gameplay, to make sure they switch now.

What am I missing that is wrong? Is it the fact they announce a webcast? Is it because they don't just post a list of changes on release without a warning? Is it because there are several items in their post?

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

February 13th, 2021, 22:51
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Guys, I must be tired because I don't get this "announcement of announcement" that seems to bother some of you.
Yeah, be that reasonable and take the fun from old farts complaining about stuff As if anyone cared about our opinions anyway. Rub salt into the wounds….

They did announce that they would announce something, I am pretty sure.

largh

Sentinel

February 13th, 2021, 23:14
Is the patch actually being released on the 17th? It seems unclear:

" . . . Patch 4 is right around the corner. We can't be more specific than that at the moment, but look, today we announced the Panel From Hell 2! Mark your calendars, on February 17th at 10am PT we're going back to Hell."

EDIT: I'm asking because some people on the forums are saying that it is releasing on that day.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

February 13th, 2021, 23:14
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post

When I read their post, I see that 1) they've planned a webcast, during which they'll explain their process, and tell us what will change next. 2) They also give a heads-up to people who want to keep their current gameplay, to make sure they switch now.

What am I missing that is wrong? Is it the fact they announce a webcast? Is it because they don't just post a list of changes on release without a warning? Is it because there are several items in their post?
It does happen, but the complaint has been expanded. Sometimes companies announce that the following week they'll announce a webcast… that sort of thing is imo pretty "look at me!" dumb. But an announcemet of the date of the webcast, like we see here, that only makes sense.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Annoucement