HOMM 2 - Being Rebuilt in a New Engine - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » HOMM 2 - Being Rebuilt in a New Engine

Default HOMM 2 - Being Rebuilt in a New Engine

May 17th, 2021, 05:58
PC Gamer reports that Heroes of Might and Magic 2 is being rebuilt in an open source engine. You will need the original game in order to try it out.

loading…

[…]

Fheroes2 is a multiplatform, open source recreation of the Might and Magic 2 game engine with a dream list of features, including improved AI, larger resolution support (and window resizing), faster unit splitting, hundreds of bug fixes, and the most coveted of all features: an instant battle option to skip easy fights, and a restart button to replay the battle manually if you're dissatisfied with the results. The videos also show off the highly polished animations, making me slow down and watch the tiny horseys gallop across the map.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 09:40
It would have been really neat if they could have given the graphics an overhaul, to create an impression that looked more similar to HOMM3.

I think many feel that a pinnacle of attractive 2D graphics was reached with that game, so a version of HOMM2 that had a similar style, would be something that I might give a try.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 12:49
Originally Posted by Feist View Post
It would have been really neat if they could have given the graphics an overhaul, to create an impression that looked more similar to HOMM3.

I think many feel that a pinnacle of attractive 2D graphics was reached with that game, so a version of HOMM2 that had a similar style, would be something that I might give a try.
With an open source engine overhauled graphics are certainly more than a possibility.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
+1:

May 17th, 2021, 14:51
Homm2 will always be the best in my opinion. I like the graphics and gameplay, and the music is the best of the series in my opinion, especially the combat music. It probably also holds a special place in my heart because when my then girlfriend came over to my house and saw me playing it and showed interest, I knew she was the one for me, and we have been married for over 20 years…

Jaguar

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 17:42
Well, since I have the game and enjoy it, I'll certainly check this out once it's completed and polished. Honestly I almost prefer it this way, I could take a chance on something totally new and completely disappointing me, or I can stick with something that I know I already like. It's an easy choice for me.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 18:24
Originally Posted by Feist View Post

Well, if you're looking for some great, new 2D graphics and gameplay inspired by the HoMMs, it is worth checking out Songs of Conquest. This, to me, looks like the modern take on HoMM 2/3 that I've wanted for a long time.

Development has been kinda slow but continuous. Fingers crossed they get this finished!

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

May 17th, 2021, 19:37
Originally Posted by SSIGuy View Post
Well, if you're looking for some great, new 2D graphics and gameplay inspired by the HoMMs, it is worth checking out Songs of Conquest. This, to me, looks like the modern take on HoMM 2/3 that I've wanted for a long time.

Development has been kinda slow but continuous. Fingers crossed they get this finished!
Songs of conquest might be cool - thanks for mentioning it - but unfortunately no steam page. No way to wish list it yet, so hopefully a lot of buzz when it comes out.

Jaguar

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 20:43
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Songs of conquest might be cool - thanks for mentioning it - but unfortunately no steam page. No way to wish list it yet, so hopefully a lot of buzz when it comes out.
You can follow it on Facebook if you have an account.

https://www.facebook.com/songsofconquest/

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

May 17th, 2021, 21:14
Ahhh thanks for that input, SSIGUY, that's one I'll be sure to keep an eye out for.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

May 17th, 2021, 23:05
I have no idea if I'll ever replay this game, remaster or original, but I will say that HoMM2 was easily my favourite of the first three HoMM games.

There's something uniquely lovely about it, almost indescribable, but related to the combined effects of art-style, UI, music and gameplay variety.

While HoMM3 was a better game, I felt it lost something in the above departments and while HoMM1 was good, it feels now more like a BETA to get to the real deal which is part 2.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
+1:

May 17th, 2021, 23:13
I got into homm with number 3 and although I did try number 2 and enjoyed it, it felt incomplete when I did.
I still play homm3 sometimes and recently started a game with my brother in law even

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
+1:

May 18th, 2021, 16:34
I have a particular fondness for HoMM2 (and all the M&Ms possibly bar 9), so much so that I got in contact with 3DO / NWC to arrange to port the game to my favourite (non-Windows) computer platform. I got to chat with Mark Caldwell of NWC (sadly not JVC) and we worked to port and optimise HoMM2 for the new platform.

We had to remove the IPX networking, since networking was all TCP/IP based on this OS, but we added a new save system that allowed savegames and maps to be combined for play-by-email.

Funnily enough I was talking to someone about updating the port to work on never versions of the OS just a month or two back, because it'd be fun to revisit it on modern machines, and replace the CD audio with FLAC etc. It really was fun, but really came alive with the Price of Loyalty expansion which added lock-and-key mechanisms. This allowed the designers (and map makers) to add story progression and controlled encounters / access which made for some fascinating stuff.

I think I have a pile of "Desecrated Lands" add-on map CDs in the loft somewhere still!

Irien

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

May 22nd, 2021, 09:52
Originally Posted by Irien View Post
we worked to port and optimise HoMM2 for the new platform.
Hi, Irien. I introduce fHeroes2 Resurrection team.
Would you mind to share more information about this? It'd be great to hear how things are actually developed in the game as many parts we're doing as in try-and-fail way.
You can contact us at our of fHeroes2 project facebook page or official discord channel

SirDranik

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 16:32
HoMM 2 was my favorite - especially when it comes to the art style.

HoMM 3 went for the pre-rendered approach that was popular around that time, but I MUCH prefer the hand-drawn style in 2.

Of course, I felt the same way about the art that, say, Westwood Studios did before they went the same pre-rendered route with Kyrandia 3.

Obviously, later HoMM games were better and more elaborate in gameplay terms - but I really, really loved HoMM 2 for some reason.

Too bad the series is dead, as I quite enjoyed the past couple of iterations - even if they were clunky and lost every ounce of charm it once had.

TheDart

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 17:50
Ahhh indeed, the series may be defunct for now, yet I'll continue playing HOMM two and three for the rest of my gaming life. They are both excellent, and I blatantly refuse to pick which I think might be superior, I simply enjoy them both, and revel in their respective differences.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » HOMM 2 - Being Rebuilt in a New Engine