Grimoire

Why are you having a conversation with yourself? And why are you on such a crusade lately?

I could care less in the long run. I was just curious if there really was 600 hours of content here. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm also here for the entertainment behind the whole thing. It's funny to me.

I'd still maybe pay $10 for the game if bugs are fixed and all that.

Why are you having a conversation with yourself? And why are you on such a crusade lately?

I could care less in the long run. I was just curious if there really was 600 hours of content here. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm also here for the entertainment behind the whole thing. It's funny to me.

I'd still maybe pay $10 for the game if bugs are fixed and all that.

I find it interesting that I'm supposed to have a conversation with myself when you're responding to my response to you :)

Also, I find it particularly ironic that I'm the one here on a crusade. I mean, have you checked your own activity in this thread.

Please, Fluent - you can do better than that.

I'm engaged in the exchange - because I find it interesting right now. Not sure for how much longer, though.

Let me add one point about the testing. Cleve had a group of testers back in the beta days and I was one of them. Then he decided to stab me in the back and insult my integrity so I quit. Much of what is being currently reported existed then and Cleve knew about it because we told him about it and he recognised there were issues he needed to fix. I doubt he really did very much extra with the game in all the years since then!!

Have I imagined all your praise for the game then?

I don't recall you mentioning so many serious issues before?

Maybe I missed it. I never really followed the game.

And again another thread derailed by that Troil. Everyone is again trying to argue with that guy who thinks himself above everyone else while using smileys all the time.

He defends the game but DOES NOT OWN it. He can defend but will not buy it apparently.

Still arguing about development with Developers and how they know nothing about their own job.
Still arguing about testing with QA testers and how they know nothing about their own job.
Still arguing with owners of the game and how they know nothing about what they are playing.

Give him a rest already.

Let me add one point about the testing. Cleve had a group of testers back in the beta days and I was one of them. Then he decided to stab me in the back and insult my integrity so I quit. Much of what is being currently reported existed then and Cleve knew about it because we told him about it and he recognised there were issues he needed to fix. I doubt he really did very much extra with the game in all the years since then!!

Seems likely that after the initital effort he worked only intermittently on the project. For instance, there must have been another period of quite intense work around the time that the screen resolution was increased. And Cleve undoubtedly had some problems transitioning the code to windows, given that his first instinct was just to try and jam the message queue and take over the entire processor. There's still some effects from this in the mouse problems, that aren't entirely solved (my mouse sometimes disapears for protracted periods) and problems tabbing out of the game.

All this appears to me to be the most likely reason for all the optimistic release dates (and it fits well with how many programmers work): Cleve optimistically returns to the code thinking, "just a little more effort and I can get this game out", but then finds in actuality that there is still a great deal that needs to be done. So the game gets developed in a series of steps, like ascending a mountain and then giving up when you see a new mountain ahead. Now the game is released of course, so we can but hope this current period of activity doesn't end prematurely. Certainly there is still a mountain of work that could be done to improve the game.

And again another thread derailed by that Troil. Everyone is again trying to argue with that guy who thinks himself above everyone else while using smileys all the time.

He defends the game but DOES NOT OWN it. He can defend but will not buy it apparently.

Still arguing about development with Developers and how they know nothing about their own job.
Still arguing about testing with QA testers and how they know nothing about their own job.
Still arguing with owners of the game and how they know nothing about what they are playing.

Give him a rest already.

I think you missed his point, and maybe I did too, so correct me DA.

I think his point is that it is too early to say whether 600 hours of meaningful content is out there.

He also said that even if some people now start claiming 600 hours of content, he may still not know whether that content will be meaningful to him.

Others are raising the point that currently most players seem to be finishing the game within 80-120 hours. DA's point seems to be that early reviews are not indicative of the actual content quite often as per the example that people had finished Skyrim within 20-30 hours originally but that doesn't mean much to him as he doesn't play like them.

In essence DA is waiting for more information.

From my understanding he doesn't look up to people who say they are experts on Internet forums because he doesn't actually know them and would class it as a potential unknown to take too much information from them.

Instead of saying: I am an expert in x and this is how you do it.
DA expects you to say: from my understanding of how it works and my experience of having worked in the field, a good way to do x is to follow the following y steps because that provides the following z benefits.

Most people on forums don't bother with that, so DA simply says he doesn't listen to you as a supposed expert.

Anyway, I might be wrong with all of the above, but that's my current understanding of DA.

Finally, DA, you had said you would be careful to not overextend yourself again and argue on the forum all the time. You seem to be falling into your own issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you missed his point, and maybe I did too, so correct me DA.

I think his point is that it is too early to say whether 600 hours of meaningful content is out there.

He also said that even if some people now start claiming 600 hours of content, he may still not know whether that content will be meaningful to him.

Others are raising the point that currently most players seem to be finishing the game within 80-120 hours. DA's point seems to be that early reviews are not indicative of the actual content quite often as per the example that people had finished Skyrim within 20-30 hours originally but that doesn't mean much to him as he doesn't play like them.

In essence DA is waiting for more information.

From my understanding he doesn't look up to people who say they are experts on Internet forums because he doesn't actually know them and would class it as a potential unknown to take too much information from them.

Instead of saying: I am an expert in x and this is how you do it.
DA expects you to say: from my understanding of how it works and my experience of having worked in the field, a good way to do x is to follow the following y steps because that provides the following z benefits.

Most people on forums don't bother with that, so DA simply says he doesn't listen to you as a supposed expert.

Anyway, I might be wrong with all of the above, but that's my current understanding of DA.

Finally, DA, you had said you would be careful to not overextend yourself again and argue on the forum all the time. You seem to be falling into your own issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to understand me better than most :)

Of course, maybe it's because you actually care about understanding.

As for "experts" - I use that in a sarcastic way, because I've been among them all my life. I'm supposed to be an expert myself in a few fields.

The truth of the matter, however, is that even if you spend your entire life doing only one thing - there's really no guarentee that you're all that good at it. That's just a common assumption.

For instance, I've worked in IT most of my life. Right now, I work in a place where there are hundreds of these experts around. I'm one of the more respected among them. But it's just words and assumptions - nothing more. Sure, I'm pretty good at my job - but that's hardly much of a feat. We're all good at something.

Based on my own personal experience - and my own personal perception - maybe a couple of these guys would qualify as what I would consider reliable experts.

IT is an extremely broad field - and almost no one is an ACTUAL expert in anything - and certainly not everything. Maybe the word means more to me than others.

It's my experience that people who start out listing their credentials care more about being perceived as an expert - than actually getting at the heart of the matter.

It makes no impression on me.

Take someone like Quentin Tarantino for instance. It's well known that he worked in a video store for many years before actually getting the chance to direct his first movie.

Does that mean that some average guy who finished film school is more of an expert than Quentin was just before he got some credentials on paper? No, life doesn't work that way.

Quentin had a very intense passion for movies - and that's why he chose to work in a video store.

Not everyone cares passionately about their jobs. In fact, I would say that's disturbingly rare.

So, when Myrthos and Lucky Day starts out listing their credentials - it means absolutely nothing. All it means is that they might know what they're talking about - and they might not. Even if they'd never spent a minute of their lives doing actual work in these fields - they might know or they might not.

What really matters is if what they're saying is rational and it holds up to scrutiny.

Anyone with the slightest understanding of human nature WILL understand that it's absolutely not true that "developers suck at testing".

That's an absurd generalisation. It has zero bearing on reality.

Does that mean that developers are good at testing? Of course not. It…. depends…. on…. the…. developer.

Even more obviously, it will depend on circumstances. A solo developer working alone on a big project will need to hold all roles. He NEEDS to be a good tester - or there's no way he can get his project finished.

By that token alone, I would like to claim that Cleve is a pretty competent tester simply because he finished this big game and it seems to be working relatively well in terms of crashes and serious issues. Sure, there are bugs - but ALL big games have bugs. Yes, ALL of them - no matter how many testers and developers are involved.

People are not giving Cleve much credit here. That's a personal thing, not an objective thing.

Some developers are primadonnas - just like some pizza delivery guys are primadonnas. It has very little to do with the job and everything to do with your personality.

In professional game development, developers are EXPECTED to have their work scrutinised - and they're even expected to scrutinise their own code constantly.

If a developer got upset because a tester found a bug, then he would be a very unprofessional developer. His job is to do the best he can and let others do the best THEY can.

His job is to be happy when a bug is fixed, not upset that his code wasn't perfect.

So, you might say the rather stereotypical examples that Myrthos, joxer and Lucky Day are trying to pass off as the norm - are very bad developers in terms of being coworkers.

Sure, some developers are like that - and they're not always good at coding even so. In fact, I'd say people who let their egos dominate their nature are generally worse at doing their job than those who don't let their egos get in the way. Big egos take up energy - and they tend to skew your behavior towards the destructive.

So, either these "experts" have been very unlucky when dealing with developers - or they're not being fair towards them. That, or they're exaggerating because they don't want to accept that they might be wrong.

There's simply no rule any expert can put forth that would convince me that developers are necessarily bad testers - because it goes 100% counter to everything I know about game development and human beings.

So, it's very, very easy for me to reject their claims. I don't care if they've been honored by royalty or carry a shiny gold badge of supremacy.

They clearly don't have a clue what they're talking about.

That's all there is to it.

Pladio - you're right. I've made the same mistake again. I've gone and overextended myself over nothing. A topic like this clearly means a lot to people and they're taking it to heart.

My fault - and I mean that.

I will try to let this go and stop contributing my thoughts for a while.

Come on, this game has given us at least a few hundred hours of entertainment just reading post on this board about it.

Like a game don't like a game ....this game is pure gold just for all the banter.

I didn't continue my discussion with DA, not because I don't care, but because I feel it is pointless and a waste of time.
The impression DA always gives to me in his interactions on this forum is that he isn't trying to understand someone else's point of view very much. In my opinion he just interprets whatever someone writes based on his own views and opinions and isn't bothered much with trying to find out why the other person wrote that. On top of that he also appears to be very certain of his correct interpretation of the other person.
Obviously we all have that more or less. However in the interactions DA had on this forum with other people, more often than not, this tends to drag along a lot, without it going anywhere. Regularly it also gets somewhat emotional, on one or both sides.
I don't have the stamina for that, so instead of trying to explain myself better and to convince DA that the framing he made of what I wrote is not correct, I decided to not even try. That might have been incorrect, but it did save me an investment of time, I could spend on another hobby.

And yeah, there aren't that many games on this forum that have a thread covering 10 years with this level of amusement :)

DArt, you'll feel much better just letting it go and letting people have their opinions. You don't have to write a novel explaining yourself or trying to prove something. It ain't that serious. And I'm saying that because I've been there myself. It's not worth it.

Felipepepe was bannned from the Grimoire steam forum for expressing his opinion about the game, which looks to me as an opinion that isn't too bad actually.
BFl5tURmyV

And apparently he did not get a free key, but got it via his $100 Indiegogo donation.

Very lame! I expected better.

I didn't.

I'd say Feli's review was pretty accurate and spot on, at least from what I've seen so far in the game. I've not gotten to some of the areas he mentioned in his report, so the ending might be a bit more disappointing than I'd anticipated =xxx

Felipepepe was bannned from the Grimoire steam forums for expressing his opinion about the game, which looks to me as an opinion that isn't too bad actually.
https://www.twitter.com/felipepepe/status/898757224746565633/photo/1
And apparently he did not get a free key, but got it via his $100 Indiegogo donation.

Sad - Cleve does have a ready facility for shooting himself in the foot. How to turn a supporter, with some constructive criticism, into an enemy in one easy step. Not hard to see why the game never got a closed beta.

Yeah that's a poor show. The guy has been failrly supportive of Grimoire in the past and the game clearly still needs work. Banning his account for expressing a reasonable view on the state of the game reflects very badly on Cleve.

Last edited:
Not being able to accept criticism is weak. Banning people for it is weak and stupid. Banning one of your (very few) customers for being honest and helpful is excessively weak, stupid and counterproductive,

He's not making it easy on himself.

It seems more and more clear that the game isn't finished and that quality of content is inconsistent.

Bugs and balance issues are very common around release - and especially with these small-team indies.

I mean, StarCrawlers had similar overpowered class issues (Hacker class comes to mind) - and so does pretty much every CRPG I've ever played that's of any complexity.

But content is quite another matter - and not something I would expect a guy like Cleve to deliver in a timely fashion.

So, this game will likely remain (largely) in the same state indefinitely, in terms of meaningful content, as it is in now.

So, I think I'll give it a pass - no matter the price. A price which seems ever more ridiculous the more I hear about it.

Still can't help but think this game could have been something special - but I'm about convinced that it's really not.

Still can't help but think this game could have been something special - but I'm about convinced that it's really not.

Like so many things and games it is a mixture. Some of the areas and puzzles are inspired, especially in the first part of the game. Probably this review on codex has it about right: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10730: It's still, after 20 years, not finished or balanced to any kind of acceptable standard.

I get the impression (as suggested by Corwin and others) that Cleve hasn't really worked much on the core game and balance, except to get it working on windows, for a very long time. If that is the case we just have to wait and see if he will address these issues. But this is the part of game development that is so very hard and time consuming - and why so many attempts ultimately fail.

Personally, I'll probably just play around with the first part of the game, which really is a lot of fun - and anyone can do that too without buying the game, since the super demo is easily available and still works. I think that is what Luj1 is playing, actually.

I'd always wondered how Cleve was going to be able to balance such a large game and the answer we now know is that he could not or at least has not done so yet.

That spell that I spoke about several days ago seems to no longer be overpowered. So, things that are just way out of balance seem to be clearly being addressed.

Like so many things and games it is a mixture. Some of the areas and puzzles are inspired, especially in the first part of the game. Probably this review on codex has it about right: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10730: It's still, after 20 years, not finished or balanced to any kind of acceptable standard.

I get the impression (as suggested by Corwin and others) that Cleve hasn't really worked much on the core game and balance, except to get it working on windows, for a very long time. If that is the case we just have to wait and see if he will address these issues. But this is the part of game development that is so very hard and time consuming - and why so many attempts ultimately fail.

Personally, I'll probably just play around with the first part of the game, which really is a lot of fun - and anyone can do that too without buying the game, since the super demo is easily available and still works. I think that is what Luj1 is playing, actually.

I'd always wondered how Cleve was going to be able to balance such a large game and the answer we now know is that he could not or at least has not done so yet.

Problem with front-loaded quality content is that I tend to lose interest towards the latter half of even the best games.

So, the only way to really engage me from start to finish is by having an even division of quality - and, even better (but all too rare), have the best content near the end of the game.

Very, very few games manage to evolve throughout - which is probably why I so rarely bother to finish them. I'd estimate something like 95% of all CRPGs tend to peak somewhere in the first half - and then they decend into "safe" territory where it's mostly more of the same.

That means they become predictable and more like work than discovery and exploration of content and mechanics.

Even when I do finish games these days, I find my final hours are mostly rushed and not particularly enjoyable. It's just me wanting to finish what I started.

Oh, I know it's my own failing - but I haven't found a way around that.

So, with something like Grimoire - which is apparently way more fulfilling and "finished" during the first half of the game - this issue would be even worse for me.

Especially when the game is so obviously old-school and obtuse. It means I would have to invest significant time learning basic mechanics and optimal party setups - and I won't be able to get rewarded by a proper progression curve.

That's just a very bad combination of omissions for someone like myself. I despise front-loaded games.

Don't get me wrong, it's not at all uncommon and many of the most popular games around suffer from similarly half-assed later stages.

I'm sure the game will end up being reasonably balanced - though I feel it could take years for Cleve to manage even that.

But having the latter parts of the game "filled out" with decent content and quality seems utterly unlikely. Well, unless Cleve has children that are willing to take over his ancient code ;)

Back
Top Bottom