Space Hulk: Tactics - Overview Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Space Hulk: Tactics has gotten an overview trailer.

Focus Home Interactive has released a new Overview Trailer for Space Hulk: Tactics, showcasing the game’s battle system, team management, customisation and unique card system. Also showcased are the two non-linear, narrative-driven campaigns, offering hours of epic single-player entertainment.

[...]

More information.

Now this is how a Spacehulk game is properly done!!!

Not so sure, the other 2 spacehulk looked good in trailers and descriptions too and they ended as "meh"

The first two Space Hulks (I own number 1) look very good and play out like the board game. The one big problem is as a single player game the board game's scenarios quickly become repetitive. What looks good about this game is the scenario editor and the campaigns. If the editor is flexible enough to create a variety of interesting scenarios, and the game offers Steam Workshop support, there would be a potential for a lot of improvements. Right now I'm replaying Darkest Dungeons with about 12 mods installed, and they make that game much more interesting. Also if the two campaigns offer some variety and interesting events outside what the normal board game does, that could also lead to the game being interesting for a longer period.

Looks interesting and hopefully it is. I like the cards since it seems to bring more boardgame asthetics but im not sure how they work.

Not so sure, the other 2 spacehulk looked good in trailers and descriptions too and they ended as "meh"

If this is too close to the board game it will be boring fast just like the earlier attempts. Trailer looks good so I hope for the best.

This looks pretty good, but there seems to be a number of games of this type around at the moment.

Now this is how a Spacehulk game is properly done!!!

Certainly not. A proper SH vid product does not degrade the original material.

This product falls in the same pitfall as many other UgoIgo products relatively to animation.

Genestealers are pictured like geriatric arthrosis riddled turtles. Terminators as blobs imprisoned in their armour unable to shoot a cow in a corridor.

The original SH managed to blend into its design gameplay mechanics and background. The background works on equal footing with gameplay, it plays that way because the background imposes it that way.

The key element was confinement forced by a SH architecture that restricts the movement for hulking pieces like a termie.

The cover art of a vid product sums it:

149704-space-hulk-amiga-front-cover.jpg

I totally agree with Chien - when I hear of a PC Space Hulk game I think of the 'original' computer game, not the tabletop attempts (which there were two of already and not that successful).

I want a 3D view of the marines like in the original Space Hulk computer game and the follow up by 3DO (Vengeance of the Blood Angels), I want to see and control my team up-close and personal - this is where real time action and strategy beautifully combine to provide intense and fun experience.

Certainly not. A proper SH vid product does not degrade the original material.

This product falls in the same pitfall as many other UgoIgo products relatively to animation.

Genestealers are pictured like geriatric arthrosis riddled turtles. Terminators as blobs imprisoned in their armour unable to shoot a cow in a corridor.

The original SH managed to blend into its design gameplay mechanics and background. The background works on equal footing with gameplay, it plays that way because the background imposes it that way.

The key element was confinement forced by a SH architecture that restricts the movement for hulking pieces like a termie.

The cover art of a vid product sums it:

149704-space-hulk-amiga-front-cover.jpg

Video is fantastic from a development standpoint. You are right of course, I remember too the super enhanced space marines move like lightning in enhanced power suits and the genestealers move with same lightning speed. But you must have a clear tactical view of the action, what's going on during battle and enjoy the fire particle effects and what's happening in slower motion and somewhat less confined space, wider corridors so the player can appreciate the game's beauty. Well, I'm willing to accept these shortcomings versus the real Warhammer universe. Your opinion is excellent and necessary. I hope we will get a lot of people like you commenting on our game heading towards Steam in the future.

I totally agree with Chien - when I hear of a PC Space Hulk game I think of the 'original' computer game, not the tabletop attempts (which there were two of already and not that successful).

Actually the reference to the original game was the original board game version, which sets the framework.
Terminators are elected warriors among elected warriors. Their capabilities were proven over hundreds of years of battlefield experience.
Genestealers are genetic evolutions toward nimbleness and speed.
The specificity of combat happens because of the terrain: tight corridors that leaves little space for hulking terminators to move.

This product conveys nothing of it. 1.44 in the video shows a very stiff genestealer that has stuck joints reducing its mobility. Nothing like the beast of fury that is supposed to run on the walls, flatten and lunge to make itself a difficult to acquire target.

The video game whose cover art is shown respected the vision.

This one, no. It takes a superior mind, a mental contorsionist, a cerebral athlete drilled by two centuries of institutionalized double standard to manage to conciliate how fights happen in the board game version and the way they happen in this vid product.

Video is fantastic from a development standpoint. You are right of course, I remember too the super enhanced space marines move like lightning in enhanced power suits and the genestealers move with same lightning speed. But you must have a clear tactical view of the action, what's going on during battle and enjoy the fire particle effects and what's happening in slower motion and somewhat less confined space, wider corridors so the player can appreciate the game's beauty.

In a UGOIgo products, players are given a lifetime to assess the result of each turn. They must not grasp results from animations.

The board game version is a UgoIgo game. The big difference is that the way the fight happens is left to the player's imagination that makes things fall together.

It is possible to imagine how this type of fights takes place. Until stuff is imposed to force the view on how the fight happens. And stuff is what is shown in the vid product, it takes will to think of terminators as terminators and genestealers as genestealers.

Back
Top Bottom