The TV Series discussion thread

I remember trying to watch this show in the eighties, it just wasn't for me. Also, in my opinion, she never was much of a comedian, and I suppose the biggest joke is that she lasted this long.

Who knows, perhaps the Fox news channel will either pick her up, or her show. Now, either of those would be hilarious!

I guess I should have used a different adjective, because I'm not just referring to the timing here. I'm talking about the severity of the decision and whether or not it was really the right one.

I feel sorry for the entire crew not just Sara Gilbert. There are a lot of working class people involved in the production process.
Well poor ABC, poor Disney and poor Sara Gilbert. And poor crew.

They knew it'll happen. Till it did they wanted to milk some more money.
I'm not sorry about any of them.

Hopefully those guys will be OK. I have a mate who works as a gaffer (head electrician) on sets. Those guys are used to bouncing from one project to another - films don't shoot for long, and shows finish all the time.

Just finished season 2 of the last kingdom. I think it is just awesome. It really captures the writing style and atmosphere of the author very well. I haven't read the books it is based on, but I have read other books of the same author. It is a bleak and primitive view of the (early) middle ages, still not sure if it really is a correct one but I love it.

I know some people (here?) didn't like it, but for me it ranks at the top, much better than Vikings (admittedly I have yet to see the last 2 seasons of that one).

Edit: just saw Norsemen is on netflix. I'll give it a try, seems to be well received.

So called "historical" series need humor. People laughed on everything and anything just as today. The reason I'm skipping such shows is there is no humor as if people are not people at all.

The very reason KCD is as historically accurate as possible - is humor. Plenty of it there.

Does The Last Kingdom have any humor inside or should I put it on my ignorelist?

Nah, no humor at all. You can safely add it to your ignore list. I don't watch it for historical accuracy though, just that it is refreshingly different than what's out there.

You must really like the Monty Python movies then. I started the TV show which I never saw before. It is so absurd that it's funny

ash vs evil dead s3

Still good and fun but its the worst from all 3; also dissapointed about the ending, since this was the final season, was expecting something better.

The Last Kingdom is pretty decent for television, of course it cannot touch the quality of the novels, but it comes close. Personally, I quickly found it far superior to the Vikings show. The books are better than Martin's as well, not including the Wild Card series. Bernard Cornwell has a way of interpreting quality of life issues that would leave many other authors quite envious.

Does The Last Kingdom have any humor inside or should I put it on my ignorelist?

I think there is some humor here and there. I remember Aethelwold (son of previous king) who was probably meant as a little funny/crazy character (for a cause explained in the show) but not real weirdo. And sarcastic warrior/commander Leofric. He was maybe the most sympathetic character. I agree with Carnifex. Pretty good series and main hero makes mistakes (that is good for me). Except the fact that he (the hero) is involved in almost everything important. That is far from historical accuracy.

----
BTW What do you think about Star Trek: Discovery? Is it worth watching?
I watched one episode and I dont really like the main heroine? I dont mean skin color, but her character and her deeds. Am I sane and creators are crazy/lazy or vice versa? :)

I personally think Aethelwold is either extremely mentally deficient, or was simply dropped on his head a few hundred times as a child. He certainly is amusing, in the way he comports himself within the community, and especially in the way he permits people to use him, and in turn, often uses others himself.

Discovery is worth watching, if for nothing else to see what is going to happen next following the end of the first series. If the era of, say, about ten years prior to Kirk taking command of Enterprise is at all of interest to anyone, I think the next series might be extremely interesting. I personally could not care any less about Berman, or that annoying little brat that is her roommate, but there are a few compelling characters that make it interesting.

if Hello Kitty and The Office had a baby it would be Aggretsuko.

It's an animated series on Netflix. 10 episodes and about 15 min each. It's about an office girl recently out of college and now working in an office. The only way she can escape the soul draining work environment is by singing Karaoke … Death Metal. The show has a lot of great characters and even the bad guys have dimensions that make them more understandable.

Lightning grant me your vengeance . . .

I was not into death metal before, but now I can understand and appreciate it.

OH, and the voice acting is great, yes even the English Dubbed. And it was really nice hearing the Death Metal in English.

Sanrio, went all out making an adult anime that did not suck. Kudos

----
BTW What do you think about Star Trek: Discovery? Is it worth watching?
I watched one episode and I dont really like the main heroine? I dont mean skin color, but her character and her deeds. Am I sane and creators are crazy/lazy or vice versa? :)
Michael is stiff and cold considering her raising in vulcan society. You're not supposed to like her and IMO she did a great job with that role. With the given script, I cannot blame actors for series fails and disappointments.
The show is not Star Trek we're used to, it's yet another dark&gritty scifi drag-o-rama clone. Who needs that shit? The only "comic relief" is a sort of villain in one episode (no doctor, no neelix, no quark, no nothin'!). Half of the show is spent inside mirror universe for absolutely no reason except filling minutes.

Yes it's worth watching due to a few quality twists.
Just don't expect some miracles.

I'm far more interested in what is happening with the Federation as a whole than the one ship that has been featured so far, and I suspect I'll continue to be disappointed in those regards. There was a great deal going on during that era, but since this show really seems to be character-driven, we're not likely to see much of the broad happenings. I keep hoping, though!

If Enterprise is really featured in the next series, it should be interesting to see how they portray Pike. He really was a no nonsense kind of captain, should he interact at all with Discovery's crew, that should lead to some hilarities.

Watching BSG again, my third time. It must have been like 5-6 years since i last saw it..
I like that i have a shitty memory for these things, that way i can enjoy movies and TV series several times and still find it quite suspenseful.. I remember the bigger picture of it, but i don't remember details, like exactly who were Cylons for example (ok, i remember most, but not all of them).

Yeah I've watched the entire Battlestar Galactica series twice, but the second time I passed over the final three or so episodes. I suspect a third viewing for me might happen later this year, the mini movies and first two series are simply stellar, in my unbiased opinion. They get so much stuff right.

Yeah I've watched the entire Battlestar Galactica series twice, but the second time I passed over the final three or so episodes. I suspect a third viewing for me might happen later this year, the mini movies and first two series are simply stellar, in my unbiased opinion. They get so much stuff right.

yeah i got the whole thing really cheap on blu-ray, all the movies were included, so i'll watch them too.. There was especially one of them i really liked (Razor, i believe it was).

I'm like you, except that the second time I passed over the final 2 or so seasons.

Watched USS Callister, a feature length episode of Black Mirror. Really enjoyed it, and found it more entertaining than a lot of movies I've seen recently.

Watched USS Callister, a feature length episode of Black Mirror. Really enjoyed it, and found it more entertaining than a lot of movies I've seen recently.

And I hated it with a passion, my least liked Black Mirror episode of them all.

And I hated it with a passion, my least liked Black Mirror episode of them all.

We do seem to have widely divergent tastes! ;)

Back
Top Bottom