|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » After The End: Harvest

Default After The End: Harvest

June 13th, 2018, 16:37
*After The End: THE Harvest

Thought I'd share some thoughts on this game. I recently was looking for something to play and everything was coming up short. I'm tired of old-school isometric RPGs for the moment, Legend of Heroes was boring the hell out of me and I couldn't find anything interesting to play. Somehow I got into this game that's been sitting in my Steam library and it has surprised the hell out of me. It's so interesting that I wanted to post about it.

It's sort of like No Man's Sky, if that game was good and also looked like an SNES Final Fantasy game. Yes, it's another RPGMaker-type graphical style, but probably the most beautiful game ever done in that style. You'll see exotic plants and wildlife, really detailed maps with alien flora and fauna, cities and villages, different planet designs and more. It pushes that graphical style to its limit. You can upgrade your spaceship, travel an open galaxy and explore planets, which are chock full of nooks, crannies and secrets. There's crafting, done in a fun way. It's a really deep, unique and FUN game. I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

It's a really unique mix of genres, too. It's RPG through and through, but you'll see other strong influences like Star Control, for example. Sometimes it felt like I was playing Ur-Quan Masters for the first time again. You'll interact with alien races. There's also Legend of Zelda influences, as you can grapple onto things in the environment and the combat is action combat, where you can strafe around, shoot projectiles (there's guns, bows, flamethrowers, common items, unique, one of a kind items, super rares, etc.) and it's challenging, too. The combat even is sort of like a Legend of Zelda-meets-Star Control in a way. Fast, fun and customizable to your playstyle.

Hell of a game, surprised me enough to thoroughly recommend it. It does have some graphical glitches here and there, you might walk through a wall in a weird way, etc., or see a small typo, but nothing game-breaking. The controls are best when you just use your keyboard only (couldn't get my Steam Controller profile working with it to customize the controls for the SC.) The world is interesting with unique factions, like insect-people, godlikes and more. And you need special books to decode certain languages, and even certain protections to explore fiery or toxic planets, like spacesuits or fire-resistant gear, etc.. You can explore the galaxy freely, complete tasks in multiple ways and it's sort of an open, "figure it out on your own" thing. But it's also not overly obtuse or too difficult to figure out.

Don't sleep on this thinking it's your typical RPGMaker game. It's not a perfect game but it's knocked my socks off so far in a way I was not expecting at all. Very impressed by it.
Last edited by Fluent; June 14th, 2018 at 00:00.

Fluent

Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

June 13th, 2018, 18:51
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Fluent. I'm not normally a fan of games with that art style but I've been looking for something a bit different so maybe I'll challenge myself by having a go when I finish with Vampire the Masquerade. How many hours did you sink into it?

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

June 13th, 2018, 19:32
Legend of Heroes…..bored you??? I'm at a complete loss for words, mate.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

June 14th, 2018, 00:05
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Fluent. I'm not normally a fan of games with that art style but I've been looking for something a bit different so maybe I'll challenge myself by having a go when I finish with Vampire the Masquerade. How many hours did you sink into it?
I'm 10 hours in, but that's just the past couple days. It definitely has me hooked.

I'm surprised at how one dev crammed all this stuff into it. In one quest I actually saw 2 completely different cutscenes based on my choice. And in each scenario something unique happened, an important character either died or didn't, etc.. The scenes and outcomes were shockingly different. There's lots of interesting elements like that in the game. I've never played anything quite like it. It's sort of like Ur-Quan Masters: The RPG.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Legend of Heroes…..bored you??? I'm at a complete loss for words, mate.
It was just incredibly dull, average and generic to me. Dunno, just wasn't my thing. I heard Cold Steel is better, might have to try it sometime. But between Trails in the Sky & Septerra Core, I was not having much fun.
Last edited by Fluent; June 14th, 2018 at 00:34.

Fluent

Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

+1:

June 14th, 2018, 01:05
Yeah I'd say the Cold Steel games are a bit more involved, and somewhat deeper in story details. I'd suggest giving them a shot.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

June 14th, 2018, 03:49
I may just do that sometime…

Wanted to mention that AtE:H also has Pokemon monster catching and training. You can equip monsters, develop them and battle them in arenas, which makes the combat turn-based, but they also help you in the normal action combat, too. You also apparently get companions but I haven't gotten that far yet. There are factions to join and work for, a Karma system that tracks your deeds, choices/consequences/multiple ways to do things, side quests/bounty missions and more, open universe (or galaxy, not entirely sure, but it's a large, open map where you can go where you want), a survival mode & story mode, secrets galore and more. There's ship to ship combat, you can develop your ship and outfit it with new parts. You get a home base you can develop, too, and recruit people to come there and help you or establish trade routes. Lots of maps, towns, societies and cultures to explore. You can get items like a Grapplehook that lets you access new areas, or the traditional Zelda bomb that blows open a new area. Different items help you survive harsh climates (you'll need a spacesuit, or radiation protection, etc..) It's really amazing that one person managed all this.

Fluent

Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » After The End: Harvest