What are you reading?

I just started reading Sea Sick: A Zombie Horror Novel (Ravaged World Trilogy)
by Iain Rob Wright. It is very good, at least so far, in the beginning. It has drawn me in to the story for sure. The guy is just a good writer. There are a ton of zombie themed books out there, but a lot of it is amateurish and self-published crap.
This guy is someone who actually has talent.

If you want to know how I know he is a good writer, its because I read a previous book of his called - The Housemates: A Novel of Extreme Terror. This was better than you might think, even though it sounds kinda cheesy in the preview at Amazon -

"TEN DAYS, TWELVE COMPETITORS, TWO MILLION IN CASH. ALMOST CERTAIN DEATH.

What at first appears to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for Damien Banks turns out to be the worst nightmare imaginable. Trapped inside a house with eleven strangers, and a booming voice known only as 'The Landlord', he is forced to compete not only for the money but for his life.
Fans of the Saw movie franchise and lovers (or haters) of reality TV will delight in the tortures that await them. An unforgettable tale of squeamish horror.
Let the games begin."

It is a fun read, despite how cheesy it sounds, if you are into horror.

Anyway, what is even cooler about this Sea Sick book - it is available free right now in the kindle edition at Amazon.
I would recommend getting it if you like this sort of story.

Anyway, what is even cooler about this Sea Sick book - it is available free right now in the kindle edition at Amazon.
I would recommend getting it if you like this sort of story.
I just noticed that his The Peeling: Book 1 is free at Smashwords.
Sounds intriguingly gross :p

Finished Ready Player One a while ago; but wanted to comment after re-watching the movie. I guess I liked the movie better before I read the book; or more precisely I prefer the story elements in the book over the movie. However, I still think the movie is pretty good. While I understand the changes to make it more dramatic; I do prefer the story elements better in the book. Oh well. Now to find something else decent to read while I wait for games of throne book 6, Dark Ages (dang delayed till July); Empire of the Grass (dang delayed till May); and Doors of Stone.

[Actually I have two other series in progress but they are not so interesting].
-
Oh well nothing to read till May.

Back at the end of August, I believe I completed rereading for the umpteenth time the first Thomas Covenant series. Earlier this week I began rereading the Wounded Land on my kindle, which is the first book in the second trilogy, and it is just as enthralling as it was back in the eighties when I first read it. I have the following two books also already on the kindle, so they will be right in line after I finish this one!!

Christian Cameron's Tyrant, Long War, & William Gold books.

Love his books and recommend them if your a historical fiction fan.

Just started James Herbert's The Spear. Undemanding fun so far.

Tsumiko and the Enslaved Fox - fantasy but not in the classic mode, and solid characters, i’m very pleased so far (71%). I’m also a bit of a sucker for Japanese influenced/oriented fantasy, as this is.

I finished rereading the Wounded Land, the first book in the second Covenant trilogy. This is the first novel I bought for my Kindle, and while I missed the tactile feel of the books, I now understand why these devices are so popular. Honestly, I enjoy this series so much I could read it in any form, started the One Tree last night after refreshing the Kindle on power.

I took a break from the One Tree and reread the Passage over the past three days, in anticipation of the telly show being released this week. This is a fantastic book, unfortunately the following two just aren't the powerhouse that this one is, well worth reading. If you continue on to the second and third novels, well, I did warn you. I have a feeling the television version will be butchered all to heck, but we'll know that soon enough.

I'm rereading Escape from Freedom, which I first read in school but seems more important in today's political climate. On the lighter side, I also have a Jack Reacher novel going. :p

I'm about to start a re-read of G.S. Jennsen's Exin Ex Machina in preparation for reading the sequel, which came out recently. Really good space opera, of the kind they don't write any more except she is.

I'm also considering committing to grinding through Murray Rothbard's economic magnum opus Man, Economy And State because I am a sick little monkey with too much free time.

Nine Princes in Amber. Again.
Because for me, this one is still the gold standard in fantasy literature, e.g. the living proof that, if you are a good writer, you don't need to fill 1000 pages with crap to write an epic. Again, IF you are a good writer.

Man, Nine Princes in Amber is a great series. Yeah, the latter books aren't as solid as the first ones, but compared to most of the tripe released nowadays, it's exceptional work. Well worth reading, I still need to replace my originals that I had signed, I passed them on to my son some years ago.

Thin Air - Richard K. Morgan - textured, dark, tight, twisted, layered, brilliant!

First time I've checked out this forum and it's already paid off! I loved the A Land Fit for Heroes trilogy and some of his earlier sci-fi but hadn't heard about this new one.

I'm reading Pines by Blake Crouch, which is also a 3-season streaming series. It's sort of a thriller, and so far seems like it will have some supernatural or sci-fi bent. Really suspenseful and nicely written.

For fans of Zelazny's Amber series, Jack Vance has a really unusual take on sci-fi/fantasy (usually mixed). It's not overwrought or too serious and is often really funny. Highly recommend his stuff.

I've read those Pines books, another decent series that started off quite well, and then lost a lot of steam, at least in my opinion. I glanced briefly at the telly series, and from what I saw it was a train wreck in comparison to the books. The first novel is a solid read, after that it gets quite dicey.

A lexicon on celctic mythology, written by university people. So it's rather serious.
It's quite an eye-opener to me, to see how much has been dragged from the celts into modern times.

I've read those Pines books, another decent series that started off quite well, and then lost a lot of steam.
Don't know that I've ever read a trilogy, any trilogy, where the first book isn't the best by a large margin. Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy is a prime example. Annihilation is one of the best sci-fi novels I've ever read. He said he literally wrote it after waking up from a fever dream, but he couldn't carry it through three books.

His most recent, Borne, is absolutely fantastic, takes place in a distant post-apocalyptic future where instead of technology leading to tiny digital devices like smart phones, people developed bio-tech instead, implants, living weapons, custom lifeforms, etc. Also one of the best sci-fi novels I've ever read. It's WAY out there, really original.

The Rig - Roger Levy

Interesting so far. Well written sci fi. Some very quirky characters. I'm not really sure where these two different plot paths are taking things...

Back
Top Bottom