What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I was recently told that the Monkees movie "Head" is genuinely quite interesting. Have you seen it?

I have, though I haven't seen it for years. It became a bit of a cult stoner movie.

I have, though I haven't seen it for years. It became a bit of a cult stoner movie.

Any recollection of how worthwhile a watch it is? I'm not a stoner, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy stoner humor (I watched Cheech & Chong movies like everyone else who was a teen in the '80s)

Any recollection of how worthwhile a watch it is? I'm not a stoner, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy stoner humor (I watched Cheech & Chong movies like everyone else who was a teen in the '80s)

Well, when I was a teenager in the 90s, we had a bit of a 60s revival, and we loved a bit of psychedelia. As I recall, the movie was kind of a jumble of surreal comedy sketches mixed with psychedelic musical sequences. I liked it, and was surprised by how good some of the music was, but I'm not sure how much sense it would make without a roomful of buddies sharing a little something.

I think those older films are all still well worth watching, especially when you take into account the pure junk we're subjected to these days. Campy, sure, yet the themes are mostly still relevant, and often they've a killer soundtrack to compliment the film itself. Que them all up and enjoy!!

I was recently told that the Monkees movie "Head" is genuinely quite interesting. Have you seen it?

No. Honestly, I didn't know it exists.

I think those older films are all still well worth watching, especially when you take into account the pure junk we're subjected to these days. Campy, sure, yet the themes are mostly still relevant, and often they've a killer soundtrack to compliment the film itself. Que them all up and enjoy!!

"Help!" is insofar interesting, as it is very naive, compared to today's standards.

Nod, films like "Help" and perhaps "Yellow Submarine" might be tad....sketchy in places. You might have to break out the whiskey to enjoy those better.

Yellow Submarine is in my eyes unique because of 2 or 3 aspects :

- Its colourfulness
- its art style
- its transport of the "Hippyness" into a movie.

No-one would be able to do that sort of movie in our rather cold, grey and cynical world of today.

At least not within the so-called "western" cultures.

I rewatched, since my SO hadn't, Django Unchained...
I'm aware many won't believe this but so far I haven't watched it.

However, I'm #1 fan of the original Django and same goes for Sukiyaki Western Django.
As it happens the latter was directed by probably the craziest director that existed and of course one of roles was played by Tarantino himself.
Eventually I will watch his Django too, but so far I had other priorities.

Watched Raya And The Last Dragon …
Although it is a family movie, it looks and feels very much female oriented …
Please I'm begging you now. This one is available on Netflix:
Nezha Reborn
It is RPG oriented. Do me a favor, watch it, I'm very interested in your thoughts about it.

"Help!" by The Beatles ! - A pretty crazy movie, almost unthinkable by todays's standards …
+1
That one is a mustwatch, especially for those who like their music.

A Quiet Place Part II

Decent enough if you liked the first one. I enjoyed it for the most part but found the ending somewhat abrupt and unsatisfying.
Watched.
IMO it's much better than the first one and I didn't like the first movie much.
Ending was kinda unfinished obviously to make way for a sequel.

I liked A Quiet Place Part II. It still suffers from some let's-not-think-too-long-about-how-much-sense-that-bit-makes, but I found it worked well. I think that lad Krasinksi has some real skill as a director - that sequence in the middle where it ratchets up the tension across simultaneous scenes was really well-done. I definitely think he could do an Alien movie that's better than what we've had since the originals.

Watched a couple of horror/thriller movies.

Wrong Turn (2021) is a remake of a very good horror move from 2003. It is a totally different plot though, and basically unrelated to the original movie. That said, it isn't bad, and if you take it on its own, its a pretty good horror movie. Definitely better than most horror movies which have been awful for several years coming out of Hollywood.

It's unusual in that it feature an old, gray haired father guy as the hero, he is an unknown actor to me anyway, but its not often where they feature an "old guy" as the hero.

And he isn't a hero figure in terms of being a policeman or former army guy, or former CIA, or anything like that, he is just a regular guy, who complains at one point that its taking too long (and basically he is getting tired of hiking, lol) to get to the wilderness area where his daughter is being held by a "tribe", who have rejected modern society as corrupt, so choose to live a primitive existence way out in the woods.

The other movie I saw is "Unhinged" with Russell Crowe as a guy who has reached the end of his rope, and after several bad breaks in life (wife divorces him for another man, takes the house and everything he has basically), has decided to become a killer out for revenge and retribution, and says that is all he has left as his "contribution" to society.

When he gets honked at in bad traffic by a woman with her son in the car, he decides he will take out all his anger and revenge on her, and teach her "a lesson" she will never forget.

Russell Crowe is good as the villain, and even though he has gained more than a few pounds, he is still a great actor, and his being overweight kinda suits his character in the movie as well. If you ever saw "Falling Down", its kinda like that, but much more nasty and bloody and its also very dark in comparison.

I'd say this is the best movie with Russell Crowe that I have seen since "The Next Three Days" (which is way above this movie in terms of quality, and a must see type movie)

That said, its pretty dark and not really a fun movie, and even as a thriller its not as good as say, "Breakdown", which blows this movie out of the water. And also this movie has kind of too simple of a plot and you can tell it was made to feature a lot of brutal violent scenes. Its only worth seeing because of how good Russell Crowe is as the bad guy, and if you are a fan of him as an actor, and/or you just really like straightforward graphic, violent and dark movies.

It's unusual in that it feature an old, gray haired father guy as the hero, he is an unknown actor to me anyway, but its not often where they feature an "old guy" as the hero.

Matthew Modine is unknown to you? He's definitely a name actor. Joker in Full Metal Jacket?

Watched The Tomorrow War last night. I enjoyed it. It's not deep thinking Sci-Fi for sure, but it's fun. If you don't take your movies too seriously, it's worth a watch since it's free with Amazon Prime. My only complaint, which I'll put in a spoiler tag though it's not really a plot spoiler:

the movie is 2 hours and 15 minutes long, which doesn't bother me, heck I love long movies. However about 90 minutes in, it seems like it's over, maybe setting up for a sequel, and the structure works. It really follows the 3 act structure, there's a good rising action, climax and then partial resolution. But it keeps going until you get a full (most likely) resolution. That last part feels tacked on and just doesn't flow well. I still really liked it, even liked the last part on it's own, just didn't flow with the remaining story structure

Never heard of that one, but it actually looks halfway entertaining.
It's more disturbing than entertaining. ;)
But it's unique, exotic and totally crazy (I mean, Tarantino wouldn't take the role just because), once you see it, you won't easily forget it.

Watched The Tomorrow War last night. I enjoyed it. It's not deep thinking Sci-Fi for sure, but it's fun. If you don't take your movies too seriously, it's worth a watch
I've watched it only for Miranda Lawson - and creators almost ruined her character with that stupid FU hairstyle.
Luckily, he knows her job, isn't talentless as Megan Fox or Jessica Alba.

But even she couldn't save this dumb script with stuff defying every logic and stuff so obviously added only for "holy family even when bad" Hollywood propaganda.

An example of ingenious logic:
Instead of blowing up aliens while they're hybernating, no, a bunch of otherwise suggested as not stupid people will start poisoning them one by one.
Only when shit hits the fan, only then they'll suddenly remember that they've set explosives previously.

And family over humanity propaganda example?
Yea, MC is not in good terms with his shady father, but hey, the father gets his redemption chance by flying a plane to Russia and it ends with hollywood saccharine.

If you can turn off your brain and ignore one of the most imbecillic scifi stories I've ever seen, the movie can be fun.
Another option is not to watch it alone but laugh together with someone on the script rubbish.

Yea, I guess Modine is a character actor or maybe I just haven't watched many movies with him in them. I did see Full Metal Jacket a long time ago, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. I think at the time I just thought it was over-rated or something. (not really a war movie fan, tbh)

about 70% thru the Witcher series.

Not too bad. The first episode was a bit of a snoozer (as is typical for a series) and I wasnt very much into it, but it's picked up since then.

I had to turn the subtitles on because there's so much gravelly grumbly speak that I couldnt make out a lot of what was being said.

I've been watching it with a friend, and we've went from "it's alright" to enthusiastic for the next episode.

Watched a couple of horror/thriller movies.

Wrong Turn (2021) is a remake of a very good horror move from 2003.

Oh yeah! I loved the original Wrong Turn, the "forgotten backwoods cannibal family" is one of my favorite genres!

I didnt know there was a remake, i might have to check that out

about 70% thru the Witcher series.

Not too bad. The first episode was a bit of a snoozer (as is typical for a series) and I wasnt very much into it, but it's picked up since then.

I had to turn the subtitles on because there's so much gravelly grumbly speak that I couldnt make out a lot of what was being said.

Yeah, I needed subtitles as well. The other thing was I was THOROUGHLY confused about the timeline. I ended up googling it and, while may it spoiled it some, at least I wasn't totally confused halfway through the season.

Yeah, that little turn-around halfway thru, when Geralt's unintentional Law of Surprise thing went down had me scratching my head at first, too.

Back
Top Bottom