Icewind Dale: EE - Heart of Winter

I never could get into Heart of Winter, just because it seemed more of the same.

You missed out. It has new areas, new enemies (the Drowned Dead are a real bitch), and an additional add-on called 'Trials of the Luremaster' that takes place in the Anauroch desert instead of Icewind Dale.

Announce a turn-based, top-down version of this game's remake and I'm in!!

You missed out. It has new areas, new enemies (the Drowned Dead are a real bitch), and an additional add-on called 'Trials of the Luremaster' that takes place in the Anauroch desert instead of Icewind Dale.
Big thumbs up from me for Trials of the Luremaster. Loved it.

Last edited:
Personally I'm holding out for the ToEE total conversion. I never could get into Heart of Winter, just because it seemed more of the same.

I would love to see a ToEE to Infinity Engine conversion. I tried ToEE several times, but the real time, then turn based for combat always breaks the immersion for me.

The only problem with Heart of Winter was that is was so short. IIRC, that's why we ended up with Trials of the Luremaster as a free add-on because there was such blow back.

Icewind Dale was my first contact with any InfinityEngine game. Absolutely loved it. Great atmosphere and fantastic 2D art. Also amazing music by Soule.

Though I never played the Heart of Winter expansion. I didn't even know it existed until much later.

I keep saying I need to replay them all in the EE. The only one I did is Baldur's Gate 1.

I would love to see a ToEE to Infinity Engine conversion. I tried ToEE several times, but the real time, then turn based for combat always breaks the immersion for me.

That's how most turn-based RPGs work though. I'm guessing you're not a fan of TB in general? I don't think ToEE would work with RTwP or at least it would need to be completely overhauled.

The only problem with Heart of Winter was that is was so short. IIRC, that's why we ended up with Trials of the Luremaster as a free add-on because there was such blow back.

Yeah, some people weren't happy with the length. As an add-in and not a standalone expansion, I was fine with it. Trials of the Luremaster definitely makes it a better overall experience though. The desert setting is a nice change-up, and I like how they added some of the BG2 monsters, i.e. Beholders, etc.

That's how most turn-based RPGs work though. I'm guessing you're not a fan of TB in general? I don't think ToEE would work with RTwP or at least it would need to be completely overhauled.

I don't mind fully turn-based, IE serious old school like the old Ultimas, it's the real time then turn based that doesn't work for me. Maybe I could get into it after a while, or if there's a really great story that just grabs me right off the bat. There certainly plenty of games I've missed that look like they would otherwise be up my alley.

I don't mind fully turn-based, IE serious old school like the old Ultimas, it's the real time then turn based that doesn't work for me. Maybe I could get into it after a while, or if there's a really great story that just grabs me right off the bat. There certainly plenty of games I've missed that look like they would otherwise be up my alley.

I never saw a big difference personally. Even when the entire game world is turn-based, like Ultima, you're generally moving in a similar manner and speed to RT when outside of combat. Then it slows down once combat begins.

You should give ToEE another shot if you're ever in the mood for an old-school D&D adventure. I like it because it's the only crpg that takes place in the Greyhawk setting. It does start out very slow though, and the first few hours are kind of boring.

I never saw a big difference personally. Even when the entire game world is turn-based, like Ultima, you're generally moving in a similar manner and speed to RT when outside of combat. Then it slows down once combat begins.

You should give ToEE another shot if you're ever in the mood for an old-school D&D adventure. I like it because it's the only crpg that takes place in the Greyhawk setting. It does start out very slow though, and the first few hours are kind of boring.

I probably will. Right now, I have a LOT of games on my to play list that I've missed: Fallout (started 1 a couple times), Arcanum, NWN (probably more some mods as I just can't get through the OC), PoE (started twice and love it but live keeps getting in the way after about 10 hours) to name a few!

In the early 2000's? Where?
BBS and forums were the go to place for gamers back then, or print magazines.
Heart of Winter was deemed too short (especially in comparison to other Black Isle expansions like Throne of Bhaal) so a free downloadable addition was made called Trials of the Luremaster.

In the early 2000's? Where?

Yeah, I remember the complaints on the Interplay boards and 3rd party boards. They ended up issuing a press release going on about how great a job they did with HoW while understanding that the length wasn't as long as people expected (I think new HoW was $29.99) and that's why they were creating the free Trials of the Lore Master. Have to give them credit. They listened and they delivered.

Haha, maybe actually I didn't, come to think of it. I had computers early in life, didn't during most of my 20's, and then got one (and internet along with it) right around 2001/02.

Damn, you missed the glory days of trying to download stuff with a 28k modem. ;)

Nah I don't miss that insane pinging sound, high phone bill, and having my connection cut off every time time someone called. So no sir I don't miss the old days one bit.

Back
Top Bottom