Call of Cthulhu - First Impressions

I of course love the books and the pen/paper game from a few decades ago, so I'll have to take a gander at this and see if it's something I'd be keen on.

I liked it well enough in the beginning, and played it about 2/3s in, but it really started to meander and lost me towards the last third. I kind of lost all motivation to continue and dropped it.

I'm surprised you didn't finish considering how short it is.

It's not a terrible game or anything, but I was expecing more of an RPG since it carries that label for some reason. To me, it's a detective style adventure game and not much else.

I'm surprised you didn't finish considering how short it is.

I think I dropped it after "shit hit the wall" and the fishing village is assaulted by the cultists or something. I just lost interest after it temporarily turned into an action game? IIRC. Anyway, I just lost patience with it and wanted to rush to the ending, but I kept dying and just dropped it. Come to think of it, I didn't even make the effort to watch the rest of the playthrough. So that's saying something, I guess.

Problem is it's not really an RPG. In fact, RPG elements like RNG dependent skills might actually get in the way. I sure loved it when an Investigation roll determines whether I find the object I need or that route is locked off for me.

His final analysis is about what I expected. Check it out if you're a fan of Cthulhu lore and care more about the story. Skip it if you're a gameplay over story person.

Back
Top Bottom