Archetype Entertainment - Wizards of the Coast Formed Studio

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Bluesnews A new studio formed by Wizards of the Coast called Archetype Entertainment, is being headed up by James Ohlen, formerly of Bioware.

OUR GOAL IS TO CREATE THE GREATEST STORY-DRIVEN ROLEPLAYING GAMES IN THE WORLD.

Archetype Entertainment is a game development studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Founded in 2019, Archetype is an autonomous division of Wizards of the Coast. We are assembling a world-class team to build a multi-platform roleplaying game set in a new science fiction universe.

At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
More information.

Good to see WotC is taking their franchise serious again.
Although, I'm still anxious how BG III will turn out...

Good to see WotC is taking their franchise serious again.

Although, I'm still anxious how BG III will turn out…

Agree with the WotC comment.

Regarding BGIII I guarantee it won't live up to anyone's expectations. However it will likely be a good game for those that dont have any.

It's very difficult to recreate the nostalgic emotions of younger experiences.

I almost got excited and then I saw “ set in a new science fiction universe “ and all excitement died.

Judging by the number of key job openings, they don't seem close to having a release yet. The 'story-driven' preference seems good though as it implies they won't be focused on MMOs. One can hope, anyway.

D20 sci-fi RPG? Perhaps turn-based? Sure!

I like the focus on single-player story-driven PC RPG.

Meh we'll see his last game was Anthem at BioWare.

Hope its better then the last announcement of the Drizzt Do'Urden Action game.

Only time will tell. I also would like more story driven D&D but at this point it just sound like marketing ploy.

It's very difficult to recreate the nostalgic emotions of younger experiences.

They should make it really poorly optimised like the original so noone can run it and they all have to upgrade. Maybe a Denuvo check on every frame. Really hammer that CPU! Recreate the frustration of the original.

That was my original experience trying to run it at acceptable frames on my excellent Pentium rig. Such a poorly programmed game, but it only made me more desperate to play. :D

Meh we'll see his last game was Anthem at BioWare.

Hope its better then the last announcement of the Drizzt Do'Urden Action game.

No one person could claim that to be their game. It was a complete too-many-cooks situation. I put more stock in this: "He continued to work as the lead designer on BioWare's Dungeons and Dragons titles including Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights. He later led up the design on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins."

I'll concede your right but my enthusiasm is meh at best.

Wont say I'm sorry as I played to many disappointing games lately.

Also as said its been many years since WotC allowed a traditional RPG. They were content to only license MMO's. Attitude seems to have changed lately.

Probably due to all the funded kickstarter RPGs. Especially Divinity: Original Sin.

I'm not counting that failed game Sword Coast Legends.

At least we have Baldur's Gate III which I hope is good.:fingerscrossed:

Doesn't guarantee anything.

Back
Top Bottom