I just saw some weird object in the sky

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch
I was sitting outside having coffee, clear cloudless blue sky. And I saw a pinpoint of light, kind of a silvery type object. No vapor trail at all. At first I thought it's probably a low orbit satellite or something, then as it crossed the sky it changed directions, and started moving upwards (I assume) until it disappeared from view about 2 minutes later. I guess somebody might have been launching a rocket, but I would have expected some sort of vapor trail. Weird. And no, drugs weren't involved, lol, I just have no clue what it could have been. Maybe some sort of experimental aircraft; Wright Patterson AFB is close by.

Twice in my life I've seen asteroids crash down to Earth. Both times were amazing! The first looked like an incredibly-close shooting star that fell about a half-mile away. The second looked like a huge passenger jet on fire and breaking apart.

After seeing those, I'm not at all surprised at people's reaction to them. I don't think I've ever been more startled.

I was sitting at a Burger King drive through about 5 years ago and saw an asteroid cross the sky at night. It had broken up into like 8 pieces, an amazing sight it made the news all across the midwest and a bunch of people caught it on video. Cool stuff. I don't think this was an asteroid, though, because it changed directions and actually moved upwards until it was out of sight. Weird. It was probably a rocket launch or some sort of experimental aircraft from the air force base. Who knows.

If you see something "falling from the sky" (asteroids, meteors and such" : Try to keep the direction in your memory !

Scientists can try to find the remains of these meteors, but ONLY if they KNOW where to search - and for this the direction is absolutely necessary !

But sadly nearly no-one ever reports that to the Geologists and Mineralogists ...

The asteroid I saw that was breaking apart was heading almost directly west to east; it probably fell into the atlantic ocean unfortunately, at least that's what I recall. I also saw an incredible asteroid in the outback in Australia. I wasn't within 200 miles of any major city and the sky was completely black, the weird thing about this one is I could actually HEAR it, there was a weird crackling sound. There's a name for that type of asteroid where you hear it coming through the atmosphere, but I can't remember what it's called.

Since you asked: they're not asteroids, they're meteoroids. Asteroids are bigger, and if you saw one get close enough to make a fireball, it's unlikely you'd live to tell the tale. (In fact, it's possible that none of us would.)

The term for a meteoroid that burns up spectacularly in the atmosphere is "bolide."

Yes, Asteroids would wreak havoc with their several hundred to several kilometres wide craters.

Yes, asteroids is the wrong term, thanks for correcting me; also, I looked up 'bolide' and that sounds like what I saw; it was so large and bright, it actually cast light on the area for a few seconds. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Thanks for the clarifications and info!

Oops! Meteors, yeah!

I live in Montana, I stay up at night, the skies are clear in summer, I play computer games in the basement in my room and I have a window out where I can see the sky next to computer screen, and over the past couple years I have seen UFOs in the sky that fly at impossible speeds, move in strange ways where they zip around unlike an aircraft, and I saw a couple go straight up into outer space and disappear completely into outer space. My psychiatrist has also seen same thing, she lives here in Montana about 30 miles away.

Also when I lived in Las Vegas, I saw a flaming burning orb streak across the sky about 500-600 yards away. Not sure but it looked like it was as big as a house. It was moving horizontally and didnt crash into the buildings, it moved horizontally and then I couldnt see it after that cuz I was nearby our house smoking a cigarette at 3:00 in the morning, in the city. It didnt even crash into the ground cuz I didnt even hear anything like a crash. As far as I could see it just flew like 1000 yards over the ground in a horizontal line for as far as I could see...

Ive seen the weird UFO lights only a couple times, but they are way too fast to be conventional aircraft. And missiles do not fly in zig-zags, sorry. These were way too fast to be missiles, and we dont have fire-flies in Montana.

Last edited:
Oh and the only reason I saw them was cuz they were bright white pinpoint lights and would fly within view of my window at night. It would startle me enough to pay attention cuz it was moving. In Montana you can see very far into the night sky and I know what an airplane is like, they move slow as heck. These white lights (seen one at a time, a couple of times over the course of years) were moving in an intelligent way, faster than any aircraft. We have an airforce base 32 miles away and I have seen military jets fly across the sky as well, but this light was moving way way way faster than those did.

Also yesterday my cat was begging for milk and a gave it to him in a bowl and the bastard didnt even drink any. WTF?

What I saw earlier today was the second time I've seen something weird, not including some the stuff I've seen at the local 'Speedy'. I know what satellites and meteors look like in the sky. About 12 years ago I was visiting some friends at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio in southern Ohio sometime in October or November, and saw 3 pinpoints of light that formed a small triangle in the sky (it was after dark, probably about 11:30 pm). There was no noise. Whatever it was approached from the east (I just happened to look up to the sky while we were walking up to the commercial area) and I saw this thing.. I stopped in my tracks because I was so freaked out. I asked them if they saw what I just saw. Again, there was no noise from this, and I could tell whatever the hell this was was WAY up in terms of altitude. Whatever it was, it moved from the east at EXTREMELY high speed, and did a complete change of direction towards the northwest. It was dark so I couldn't tell if it was three separate objects, or one object with three lights moving in tandem. The whole incident lasted about 5 seconds. I just happened to look up at that moment. Again, it was probably an experimental aircraft from Wright Patterson AFB.

Last edited:
I never remember saw anything suspicious in sky before... but i often noticed the different shapes of cloud.

Ah darn! I want to see UFOs too :)) I've never seen 1 in my whole life! (well... 15 years but hey:p)

I've seen many odd things in the sky, often following the pattern that Markus described. An object moving at a steady pace but suddenly changes direction and speed.Technically UFOs I suppose. But alien visitors... not sure about that. Not that I for a second believe there is no life out there in the expanse of space, but I'm not utterly convinced that the life that is out there is traveling light years to other planets or is even capable of doing so.

I usually write off odd sightings as exciting but likely explainable tricks of light refraction and viewing angle and whatnot. Of course, the immediate ability to rationalise the unexplainable is a saving grace of the human mind, isn't it? As Lovecraft wrote:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

No light refraction or any of that here. It was just flat out weird. I've been into watching the sky pretty much my whole life. I've owned a telescope. I can pretty much identify anything I see in the sky. This was in broad daylight, crystal clear blue sky. I wasn't drunk or anything like that. I was just sitting there having my coffee. It was just a flat out weird experience. I know the sky, too. And then to make things even stranger, check out the front page here, just posted. I'm sure they'll put up an actual article later today, which I'll post a link to. This is a reasonably respectable website.

Headline:

"MYSTERY LIGHTS OVER ARIZONA, FLORIDA; RESIDENTS SPOOKED"

What I saw was some weird stuff. I don't want to come across as some loon, but everything I've said here is completely true. It just wasn't something in the sky that I'm familiar with seeing. (I'm not saying it's aliens, it was just something I've never seen before).

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Last edited:
You could try this ?

Make kind of a ballon out of thin paper,

then place kind of a can with a candle or so under it. Try to build it so that both are connected, like in a hot air ballon.

Then let it go, drifting into the air.

I'd bet that *many* people would cll this an "UFO", especially if the whole thing gets burned by some mistake or accident.

I often ask myself, when I encounter weird things, "how could I reach the same sight/effect ?". This leads to some interesting thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom