Criticalhit - Score: 8/10

Nerdmuch - Score: 8.5/10

Gamingbolt - Score: 5/10

Gamespot - Score: 6/10

Screenrant - Score: 3.5/5

Dualshockers - Score: 6.5/10

Shacknews - Score: 8/10

Gamerevolution - The Final Verdict:

Biomutant is a lively, stylish, and downright joyous open-world game that doesn't get bogged down in the conventions of the genre. There's no bloated story here, and its vibrant sandbox setting is anything but barren, as I felt compelled to explore every nook and cranny I stumbled upon in its vast, gorgeous world.

Its combat and crafting systems combine to create effortlessly cool action with tons of customization options, making your arsenal of weapons feel uniquely your own. While its story may not be its focal point, its narrator and wonderfully odd selection of characters are full of charm, with its morality system and eco-friendly message making me feel like I was a part of a thoughtful children's fable.

Considering Biomutant's delayed and seemingly troubled road to release, I'm blindsided by just how good it is. Experiment 101 has clearly been afforded the time to see its vision through, something which is unfortunately far too rare in the cutthroat gaming industry. I did not expect this to be one of my favorites of the year so far, let alone one of the most enjoyable open-world games I've ever played. A true modern gaming miracle.
More information.
Last edited by HiddenX; May 24th, 2021 at 18:22.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 18:07
Terrible first few hours. Then enjoyed the middle parts but then got boring again and I just wanted it to be over. It's a very pretty game minus some of the obnoxious visual effects and combat is fun as well. I found everything else to be zzzzzzz
--
A failed Kickstarter RPG

yemeth

Watchdog

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 18:13
Sadly, I had a feeling this was going to be a mediocre game.

Oh well.

TheDart

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 18:20
Yowza, those reviews are all over the place, yet most seem mediocre at best. That's truly a shame.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 20:14
I'd say it averages as a 7/10 game. Pretty much as expected.

Nereida

May 24th, 2021, 20:14
Yeah, there was a console version (PS4?) review on an Android fan site that was fairly negative in all areas. Skip.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 21:03
I have to say I'm a little surprised. Glad I didn't preorder it.

That said, I'll still try it at some point. I never take reviews for granted, especially from the more mainstream sites.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 21:22
Like already said it's what I excepted.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 24th, 2021 at 21:59. Reason: Edited for the idiot below.

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 21:44
I don't agree on anything before I've tried it mself.

I've enjoyed quite a few games that weren't review darlings.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 24th, 2021, 21:49
True enough. In fact, some of my recent favorites have been far from critical hits.

These would include ME:Andromeda, Days Gone, Anthem and even Kingdom Come Deliverance. KCD was received "ok" - but it just so happens to be my favorite game of the last several years. As close to a true masterpiece as I can come up with, I have to say.

It's almost as if the closer to the middle a game is perceived by the general audience and mainstream critics - the higher a chance I'll have of loving it.

But as for Biomutant, I don't know. I guess I just have that feeling about it - that it's not really for me.

I'll get around to it one day, though.

TheDart

May 24th, 2021, 21:59
I watched a video review made by a friend and it really doesn't seem very good. The aesthetics are amazing, but the game seems soulless and actually pretty hollow.

GabrielMP_19

Vault Survivor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 22:44
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't agree on anything before I've tried it mself.

I've enjoyed quite a few games that weren't review darlings.
I always think the great thing here is having discussions with others who like what we dislike or vice versa - so long as there is ability for added context.

To me it is like other media - my tolerance for what others call mediocre depends on my fondness for the genre/style/whatever of the thing.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

May 24th, 2021, 23:39
Originally Posted by TheDart View Post
It's almost as if the closer to the middle a game is perceived by the general audience and mainstream critics - the higher a chance I'll have of loving it.
Lol, I have felt exactly the same for quite a few years now. I have detested quite a number of games that have recieved only top scores and obviously also games that get just lousy scores.

However, games that recieve the whole "mixed bag" of high/middle/low scores, are the category that makes me enthusiastic nowadays. So, I'm getting more optimistic about "Biomutant" than I was yesterday.

Feist

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

May 25th, 2021, 00:17
I think perhaps the telling phrases, which seem common to a number of reviews and "beautiful, large open world" and "minimal story". Those two tend to be fairly uncomfortable bedfellows when trying to build a constantly engaging game.

It sounds like it looks great, plays average, and provides very little motivation to explore that large, open world, beyond a desire to clear the next boss?

Irien

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 00:41
I was leaning toward not getting it and was hoping for some reviews that might sway me. Obviously that isn't happening. I can't even quite explain why, but since the beginning it's given off the vibe of an okay but not exceptional game to me.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 01:28
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I always think the great thing here is having discussions with others who like what we dislike or vice versa - so long as there is ability for added context.

To me it is like other media - my tolerance for what others call mediocre depends on my fondness for the genre/style/whatever of the thing.
Absolutely. Genre and setting are huge for me, and I can still enjoy games that might be subpar in some ways if those things fall into categories I like or am in the mood for.

I was really hoping Biomutant would be good because post-apoc is one of my favorites. Like I said, I'll still try it, but I'm in no rush, and I'll be going in with lower expectations now which might be a good thing.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 25th, 2021, 02:03
I'm pretty sure Biomutant is a fun game, but it's possibly not for everyone, and add to that the high expectations that were built on the game, which usually lead to excessively harsh scores when the game is not all that amazing.

Nereida

May 25th, 2021, 03:26
Its an experimental game so some parts were bound to work better than others. I look at this game like I looked at games of yore. The first game sets the stage and the sequel improves upon the formula provided the first game does okay. Like for example Interplays Castles compared to Castles 2.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 06:58
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Its an experimental game so some parts were bound to work better than others. I look at this game like I looked at games of yore. The first game sets the stage and the sequel improves upon the formula provided the first game does okay. Like for example Interplays Castles compared to Castles 2.
What's experimental about it? Seems pretty formulaic to me.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

May 25th, 2021, 08:10
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
What's experimental about it? Seems pretty formulaic to me.
A antropomorphic protagonist with similarly bizarre enemies requires lots of thinking about movesets, abilities, level design, itemisation, animation etc. Trying to make that all work together in atypical action rpg style was perhaps the flaw to this game that the devs will have to remedy next time.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Biomutant - Review Roundup