What games are you playing now?

I took a break from Days Gone to try out Biomutant. It's interesting to say the least, but I don't think it's for me.

It started out well enough. the character creation has a good amount of depth, and the game is quite customizable. You can adjust things like quest markers, damage indicators, and how often the narrator talks.

Combat is fun but can get really chaotic. You can't manually lock on to enemies, so I often find my aim bouncing from one to another when engaged with a group.

The world looks decent, but I was expecting the graphics to be a little better tbh. Even on max settings, it doesn't quite seem on par with other recently released games. I'm guessing that's probably a result of the long development cycle.

What I don't like is the exaggerated silliness of the world. I'm ok with the animal people and the art style, but the lore and dialogue is like something from a Saturday morning cartoon.

I took a break from Days Gone to try out Biomutant. It's interesting to say the least, but I don't think it's for me.

It started out well enough. the character creation has a good amount of depth, and the game is quite customizable. You can adjust things like quest markers, damage indicators, and how often the narrator talks.

Combat is fun but can get really chaotic. You can't manually lock on to enemies, so I often find my aim bouncing from one to another when engaged with a group.

The world looks decent, but I was expecting the graphics to be a little better tbh. Even on max settings, it doesn't quite seem on par with other recently released games. I'm guessing that's probably a result of the long development cycle.

What I don't like is the exaggerated silliness of the world. I'm ok with the animal people and the art style, but the lore and dialogue is like something from a Saturday morning cartoon.
Regarding the silliness: Maybe the target audience of this game is mostly kids/teenagers?

I'm currently playing a space 4X game called Interstellar Space: Genesis. It's a spiritual successor to MOO2 with turn based combat.

My first game was a blast and I stayed up way too late. The start is slow, like most 4X games and the AI was a cakewalk on easy difficulty.

I started a new game on a higher difficulty to see if the AI is a challenge, but I haven't gotten very far yet.

The graphics and the sound effects are alright, but not much more. The music is good, ambient and not intrusive.

The combat can probably be fun, but on easy the fights were too small and I was way ahead of the AI so no challenge whatsoever. It seems very similar to MOO2 battles.

All in all it was worth the money and time spent this far. And they are making more content and patches, so maybe it can reach great levels.

Regarding the silliness: Maybe the target audience of this game is mostly kids/teenagers?

I think it's just a style the devs liked, but it's possible that it could be more appealing to the younger generation. I can't say I'm very familiar with what teenagers are playing lately.

I think it's just a style the devs liked, but it's possible that it could be more appealing to the younger generation. I can't say I'm very familiar with what teenagers are playing lately.
My daughter is 11 and when I build a new computer (whenever prices and availability are sane again), she'll get my current rig. So in two years time I can probably answer what teenagers play

I can't say I'm very familiar with what teenagers are playing lately.

Whatever they play, it is most likely on the "most popular gaming system in the world" ... i.e. a smartphone.

@JDR13; Regarding Days Gone: I did look at it. It seemed to have a lot of chit-chat and angst and cut scenes and such. So I never picked it up. I want to craft weapons and armor and then kill things with what I craft. I also need lots of loot with a ton of variety. I may give Days Gone a look again once it goes cheap; if it ever does. Thanks for the reminder.

Whatever they play, it is most likely on the "most popular gaming system in the world" … i.e. a smartphone.
Yep, I can't play games on one due to the size of the screen but it makes sense that it'd be the most popular system, due to it being a phone and chat device too.

Ouch Vanedor, that truly sucks. And for as long as the game's been out now, it should have some kind of resolution for that issue.

Yeah, pretty sad it has not been fixed. Such an amazing game but it seems it has not been supported properly. I saw quite a lot of bugs... but that one has some dire consequences.

I have Kingdom Come, I've just not gotten around to trying it out as of yet. It's on the list!! Actually might take a peek at it once I'm done with Pathfinder.

Absolutely loved Kingdom come. The combat is as close as you get to actually feeling like you're mastering a skill.

Absolutely loved Kingdom come. The combat is as close as you get to actually feeling like you're mastering a skill.

Combat are cool are certainly accurate, but what I found the most impressive aspect of the game was how the world was depicted. People relation to religion. The harsh reality of war. The relation between the nobility and the "low-borns". Hunting. Reading. etc It's not the first game that make cities/villages feel alive. Elder's Scroll and PB games are famous for this. But imo, it's the first time I saw this in a historic and coherent world.

Yeah, pretty sad it has not been fixed. Such an amazing game but it seems it has not been supported properly. I saw quite a lot of bugs… but that one has some dire consequences.
Open world RPGs usally have the most bugs. Dan Vávra posted a lengthy interview where he talked about how they fixed one bug and broke something else.

Only game breaking bug I had was an assault mission. Instead of counting the kills for the enemy the game thought it was my solderers. I had to cheat to move forward.

@JDR13; Regarding Days Gone: I did look at it. It seemed to have a lot of chit-chat and angst and cut scenes and such. So I never picked it up. I want to craft weapons and armor and then kill things with what I craft. I also need lots of loot with a ton of variety. I may give Days Gone a look again once it goes cheap; if it ever does. Thanks for the reminder.

It does focus on a story, but it's a good one. You spend most of your time exploring and killing things though. There's also quite a bit of crafting, although it doesn't compare to a true survival game.

It's worth the price, but you might as well wait if you just started playing something else.

Last night I started playing a game called Pillars of Dust. It seems to be a throwback game, maybe to the late eighties/early nineties, in that it reminds me most of some old crpg from Nintendo or something. I've only played maybe three hours so far, I'm quite enjoying the story and the combat is engaging, with some good fun and giggles along the way.

started a new profile in euro truck sim 2
also gonna start a replay of asscreed series (only the ones with desmond)

started a new profile in euro truck sim 2
also gonna start a replay of asscreed series (only the ones with desmond)
Speaking of asscreed I'm back to Valhalla due to expansion unlocked.
But I didn't go there yet, instead I played the ongoing event, wasn't aware they added that.

You're lollygagging through three new areas (rivers) and plunder… Nothing?
Okay, not nothing, you find parts of a new equipment set that is pretty much crap.
And you also unlock 3 new skill moves that are… Useless. :D

The whole thing is too grindy as you can't do a sweep for everything at once, but need to return to base every now and then, after that rince repeat.
Your sidekicks AI is so bad, they die in the fire they set. :)
And then you end up having no companion to break doors with.

The strategy is obvious, first you clear a base solo, only after you get rid of hostiles call out companions to help with stealing as you collect everything fast, companions don't have time to stay in the fire they set. And die.

You get no story, you get no romance, just grind.
A horrible event.
Here's hope the Ireland expansion is not as bad as this rubbish.

I have been playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 almost non stop for the past 2 weeks.

There are so few games that can still provide me with so much after 20 years.

I feel like the game has aged incredibly well and thanks to the Horn of the Abyss mod, it actually has some elements that are now even better than the original, which is a difficult achievement.

Back
Top Bottom