Cyberpunk 2077 - No Multiplayer At Launch

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN reports that Cyberpunk 2077 will have no multiplayer at launch.

Kiciński confirmed that the game would not have any multiplayer at launch, stating “first of all we’re going to deliver players a huge, story-driven role-playing game for a single player,” likening the release to that of 2015’s The Witcher 3. He said he didn’t want to comment on any further expansions, but said that “we already said in the past that we wanted our future projects to integrate online components at some point.”

[...]
More information.

Yes, mr. Kicinski, go finish and polish the single player campaign first. Leave multiplayer for later. Waaay later if you can.

Years later please if anyhow possible so I don't live to see it.

Dunno why or how, but reading stuff like this just makes me happy.
Remember those days when EA CEO bulshitted that all their games have to integrate MMO junk inside? Hopefully those dark ages are gone.

I see subject titles like this, it reads for me thusly: "We actually care and focus on single player games that don't waste funds on things that people don't care about". So, I'm a fan of these folks!

Good news as far as I am concerned.
Maybe multiplayer experience would even turn out great without stalling the whole game another year now.

Good I was worried after news last year this game might be another service game.

I mean the following.
In video gaming, games as a service (abbreviated GaaS) represents providing video games or game content on a continuing revenue model, similar to software as a service. Games as a service are ways to monetize video games either after their initial sale, or to support a free-to-play model.

Maybe let that new studio do the multiplayer part? No need to finish for a year or three after release.

Any word on VR compatibility?

Good Question! I am hoping to get into VR at some point soon.

I have no concerns with multiplayer or online games.... As long as it is not to the detriment of the single player game. I would imagine that there could be a smooth interface / interaction between the 2 (In fact I have a lot of ideas on how to do it!)

From my experience: Multiplayer as an afterthought does either not work, or is not successful in terms of player numbers, or, most likely, does not even happen.

I fixed the headline:
Cyberpunk 2077 - No Multiplayer - yllaettaevaet does not care

Maybe let that new studio do the multiplayer part? No need to finish for a year or three after release.

Multiplayer was mentioned way back in 2012-2013 as being a feature of the game and they got money from the Polish government in late 2016 for "researching" multiplayer for Cyberpunk.

It sound more like they couldn't achieve what they wanted and dropped the feature to me, so I doubt there will be any multiplayer in Cyberpunk2077 now Reading another translation, he actually doesn't say no multiplayer, he says that the game is focused on story heavy single player RPG and that it will not have any big multiplayer feature at release. That translation sound more like there will be some form of multiplayer feature that they want to expend post-release.

Last edited:
There is another smallletters thing that skipped many newsbits:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/next-witcher-game

The report (the relevant parts of which can be found on page 26) states that “in the 2017-2021 timeframe” the company are looking to release Cyberpunk 2077 as well as “another triple-A story-driven RPG.”
So it's not only CP.
Now I have to make sure I don't die in next three years. Damn.

[EDIT]
CP needs funds, right? Well, these funds are coming from TW3 sales:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-...-percentages-revealed-for-2015-2016-and-2017/
1-1.jpg

“This diagram shows two important information. Number 1. In 2017, The Witcher 3 has sold more than in 2016. We are extremely proud of that and it had impact on total sales of all (The Witcher) games which was 33 million of copies as mentioned by Adam. The second important information is that on the year of the release, 70% of sales were sales of console copies and slightly more than 30% were PC copies. The trend has been changing over time and PCs have the longest life cycle now. In 2017 50% of sales stem from PC copies and the other half was attributed to both consoles.”
You still believe hairworks doesn't sell? ;)

So it's not only CP.
Now I have to make sure I don't die in next three years. Damn
Time to give up smoking?

pibbur who couldn't resist. And whose hair probably won't sell anything. According to his family.

Actually, there was a leak I think about their multi-player plans but as per Kiciński's comments, it's not actually traditional multiplayer - just an online component they're planning to add. Players will be able to coordinate cyber attacks on real-world EA and UbiSoft servers, bringing their game IPs to a crawl and causing them to lose massive amounts of players and revenue from their various crappy, cash-grab games. :biggrin:

Good one. But I had to read your post several times before I got the message.

pibbur who tends not to notice smileys.

Ehhh I wouldn't want to outright assault electronic arts or ubijunk like that, as it would actually give them something legitimate to complain about. I'd rather continue as I am, simply pitying the poor fools that waste their collective times there with people who couldn't care less about them.

Excellent news! Burn the VR Witches and Burn the Multiplayer Whores!!

One thing I find a bit interesting/humourus: The root of, RPG's (p&p and larps) are multiplayer games (cooperative, not MMO's). So, it's not that "alien" (not sure of the correct English word here), and one might argue that the RP is stronger in those games than possible in any CRPG.

Just mentioning it, doesn't mean that CRPG's have to have MP components, and to repeat myself: I'm not talking about MMO's where the RP aspects are (have to be) weaker.

pibbur who prefers palying alone, and pretends he is when playing MMOs.

Back
Top Bottom