Divinity: Fallen Heroes - Announcement Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new game collaboration between Logic Artists and Larian has produced a new tactical game Divinity: Fallen Heroes which is set after Divinity: Original Sin 2.

We're so happy to announce this one.

Divinity: Fallen Heroes is a game we've wanted to make for a long time. Ever since Dragon Commander, we toyed with the idea of mixing D:OS tactical turn-based combat with Dragon Commander's decision-making elements. We thought there was a very cool game hiding in there, but we never had the resources to make it. Since then, the idea remained unexplored.

Until now.

Last year, we gave the D:OS2 engine to Danish studio Logic Artists and asked them to see where it'd take them. Their brief was to develop a game in which your narrative choices affect which missions you can play-- and where your performance during these missions would affect subsequent narrative options.

The result was truly awesome. Thus, some time later this year, there will be a new stand-alone Divinity game featuring all our favourite characters, tactical turn-based combat, and plenty of difficult decisions to make. There's tons of new combos to discover, tons of combat enhancements and... you can play with a friend in co-op!

The story will see you take on the role of commanders in the Divine Order, charged with arresting the half-demon Malady for stealing the Order's doomsday weapons. Before you know it, you'll be engaged in a high-stakes play for global domination against none other than the Lord of Chaos himself. Together with the former Godwoken and the unreliable half-demon, you'll engage in a grand adventure that'll see you become the last hope of the free world.

To get a first taste of Divinity: Fallen Heroes, check out our brand new shiny trailer. And if you're lucky enough to attend PAX East, come to our booth and try out the game yourself. We're demoing an early build to collect feedback.

It's still early days and we have plenty of work left to do, but do let us know your thoughts and what you would hope to see in Divinity: Fallen Heroes. We're listening, and as always, your feedback will help us make the game better.

Oh! And check out the game's brand new site: www.divinityfallenheroes.com
More information.

I like that they are working with Logic Artists. Could Larian be the saviour of the indie scene by letting others use its engine? It would certainly get those developers a lot more profile.

More tactical turn based Divinity games are always nice, but I prefer an action isometric RPG like Divine Divinity for a change. I hope they make contract with another company to make such a game. It could be Games Farm for ex., creators of Shadows Awakening and Vikings.

Meh... it certainly isn't what I was hoping for. I wanted a sequel to Divinity 2.

This feels like a Blackguards or a Fallout Tactics where it's going to be battle after battle without much in the way of exploration or other RPG elements.

Not April Fools day yet so instant Day One purchase for me. It's basically a Divinity game similar to Logic Artists Expeditions games. Like I said before I hope it sells better.

Anyway Guess Expeditions: Rome is put on hold?

On a side note we should except more game like this with other IP's. Just saying based on past interviews with Obsidian as they want to branch out with Eternity.

Last edited:
It's basically a Divinity game similar to Logic Artists Expeditions games.

LOL. Those two games share about as much in common as Skyrim compares to Tetris. As much as I love Larian, I have no faith at all in Logic Artists, so I'm on the fence entirely until this one releases.

Can you elaborate on this?

You've never played Blackguards or Fallout Tactics?

If it's like those game, which is the feeling I'm getting, then I expect it to be all about combat. Basically just a long series of battles with the time in-between battles being spent getting ready for the next one.

I guess the Expeditions games weren't much different.

You've never played Blackguards or Fallout Tactics?

If it's like those game, which is the feeling I'm getting, then I expect it to be all about combat. Basically just a long series of battles with the time in-between battles being spent getting ready for the next one.

I guess the Expeditions games weren't much different.

Yes, I've played Blackguards. It has combat in it, yes. Yes, all your stats and attributes relate to combat prowess and the game presents you with plenty of combat. Just like Baldur's Gate 2, where you spend most of your time between combat preparing for the next combat.

I asked you to clarify what it lacked. You replied with what it has, not what it lacks. What, in your opinion, did Blackguards 'lack' for you to not be entirely happy with it?

LOL. Those two games share about as much in common as Skyrim compares to Tetris. As much as I love Larian, I have no faith at all in Logic Artists, so I'm on the fence entirely until this one releases.
It's spin-off so can't complain. Remember Larain has multiple projects in development right now. So I'm sure another Original Sin will be released eventually.

I'm actually more interested in the original RPG that was referenced in a few interviews and video blogs. Guess we have to wait for more news about that project.

Also the Divinity series has never stayed true to its roots. It went from a Diablo clone, to a full fledged Action RPG, and now it's a turn-based RPG. Always changing.

Last edited:
It's spin-off so can't complain. Remember Larain has multiple projects in development right now. So I'm sure another Original Sin will be released eventually.

I'm actually more interested in the original RPG that was referenced in a few interviews and video blogs. Guess we have to wait for more news about that project.

Also the Divinity series has never stayed true to its roots. It went from a Diablo clone, to a full fledged Action RPG, and now it's a turn-based RPG. Always changing.

I have no idea why you're replying to me with details about Larain and Divinity when I clearly stated it was Logic Artists I had zero faith in, not either Larian nor the Divinity series.

Nice way to do business! This will also be a day one for me.

It's a glaring shame Expeditions: Viking did not get more attention and success!

I have no idea why you're replying to me with details about Larain and Divinity when I clearly stated it was Logic Artists I had zero faith in, not either Larian nor the Divinity series.

Well your loss then as we can't all like everything. :)

Though in my defense I enjoyed playing the Expeditions games and like turn-based strategy games. Also Larain wouldn't allow them to sell this game if they didn't like it.

I haven't played a Logic Artists game yet but I intend to. Backlog and all that. What didn't you like about their games?

Yes, I've played Blackguards. It has combat in it, yes. Yes, all your stats and attributes relate to combat prowess and the game presents you with plenty of combat. Just like Baldur's Gate 2, where you spend most of your time between combat preparing for the next combat.

I asked you to clarify what it lacked. You replied with what it has, not what it lacks. What, in your opinion, did Blackguards 'lack' for you to not be entirely happy with it?

I'm not sure what Baldur's Gate 2 you played, but I definitely didn't spend most of my time outside of combat preparing for combat.

As for what Blackguards lacked, that would include a significant amount of NPCs to interact with, meaningful C&C (outside of combat), and any sort of exploration.

And I never said I wasn't happy with Blackguards. It's a fine tactical RPG if that's what you're looking for. I was hoping Larian would finally give us a sequel to Divinity 2, and this sounds like it's far from it.

I haven't played a Logic Artists game yet but I intend to. Backlog and all that. What didn't you like about their games?

There's not RPGs...? They're incompetent and lazy drivel with barely any gameplay?

Where do you want me to begin?

You could start by reading Zloth's lambast at them in the relevant forums, but I'd happily elaborate further once you've conveyed to me that you've read his posts so that we could cut down on the wall-of-text time I'd need to fully elaborate on why these games are quite possibly the worst thing to happen to RPGs since Bioware decided to focus on consoles.

There's not RPGs…? They're incompetent and lazy drivel with barely any gameplay?

Where do you want me to begin?

You could start by reading Zloth's lambast at them in the relevant forums, but I'd happily elaborate further once you've conveyed to me that you've read his posts so that we could cut down on the wall-of-text time I'd need to fully elaborate on why these games are quite possibly the worst thing to happen to RPGs since Bioware decided to focus on consoles.

From what I gathered from Zloth's posts the Expeditions: Vikings game is undercooked with useless skills and skills that you max out too early. Not enough companion banter and general bugginess. But the framework for a good game is there and the combat is pretty decent. Companion interactions were good but not enough of them.

Logic Artists are working with Larians engine this time through. They will have had the development time and resources to flesh out the game and Larians input to refine things. It sounds like the classic case of an indie game not reaching its potential due to funding and time issues. Shouldn't be the case this time through.

I'm not sure what Baldur's Gate 2 you played, but I definitely didn't spend most of my time outside of combat preparing for combat.

As for what Blackguards lacked, that would include a significant amount of NPCs to interact with, meaningful C&C, and any sort of exploration.

And I never said I wasn't happy with Blackguards. It's a fine tactical RPG if that's what you're looking for. I was hoping Larian would finally give us a sequel to Divinity 2, and this sounds like it's far from it.

Ok, so perhaps you could say what you did in BG2 that wasn't combat preparation? You walked around in circles a lot?

Blackguards had lots and lots of NPCs to interact with, from companions to quest givers to random lore exposition givers to traders and enemies. I have particularly fond memories of the old lady with the gorilla problem, the mad professor with many quests, feeling particularly happy when completing companion quests etc etc.

It also had some C&C. Not a huge amount, but it had some. Sure, it wasn't Planescape: Torment, but then Baldur's Gate 2 wasn't either.. What was the amazing C&C in BG2?

It had plenty of exploration with no-end of side-quests that were not crucial to the main plot with many providing interesting and varied set-locations from jungle to city etc. The difference was that you didn't physically walk to your locations, and that is the only difference.

So if you could have physically walked to each location instead of the walking being dots on the world map, it had, what, 3 more NPCs? , then it wouldn't have been a 'tactical RPG', but an actual RPG?

Is it a 'tactical RPG' because the combat was turn based and actually required tactics sometimes? (oh, don't forget, some of the 'battle' scenes weren't even battle scenes and were often also tests to see if you could complete the screen without any combat at all...) So if it had had RtWP combat instead then it would have been an RPG instead of a 'tactical RPG'?

Back
Top Bottom