Arcania - Review Flood #3

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Arcania reviews are still coming in rather slowly.

• The Gamespot and
  • Rock, Paper, Shotgun articles have already been dealt with in another newsbit.
  • The GameInformer reviewer writes: "Arcania isn't what anyone thought Gothic 4 would be. It's a marginally competent action/RPG with all the depth of a kiddie pool, not the huge open-world role-playing epics the series was previously known for. At least it isn't afflicted by the plague of bugs that crippled Gothic 3 at release. I didn't hate my time with it, and it's by no means impossible to find some value here. Just know what you're getting into before taking the plunge." - 6.75/10
  • CNet - 2.5/5 (XBox). Same article as Gamespot.
  • GamesRadar - 6/10 (XBox)
  • OnlineWelten.de - 60% (PC), 55% (XBox)
  • Computerspiele - 7.6/10
  • GamersGlobal.de - 5.0/10
  • The most interesting German article today is no review. NinjaLooter.de has an opinion piece titled (transl.) Rating Wrangling: Arcania is junk, no great, damn it!. It deals with inconsistencies in Arcania reviews, including many examples from bigger sites.
More information.

The only time they're harsh is when they got nothing to lose. Guess the checks from Jowood aren't as good as other publishers.

The only time they're harsh is when they got nothing to lose. Guess the checks from Jowood aren't as good as other publishers.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

I really don't want to say anything too soon, but so far the game has been a solid 7.5-8 for me.

Taken alone as a Gothic sequel - it would score much lower, mind you, but I think the actual entertainment experience should be looked at first, and franchise loyalty second.

That good? Coming from you that actually means more than the reviews. Since it looks like Fallout: NV is going to be delayed till November 2nd :brood:I was thinking of picking this up. Between Vox's review and yours I know I'll pick this up this weekend.

Thanks DA.

That good? Coming from you that actually means more than the reviews. Since it looks like Fallout: NV is going to be delayed till November 2nd :brood:I was thinking of picking this up. Between Vox's review and yours I know I'll pick this up this weekend.

Thanks DA.

Well, I've only played ~15 hours - and there's still much to do.

The story is "meh" at best, and the voice acting ranges from average to abysmal - and it's too linear. But I'm really not a big story guy.

However, the combat is entertaining if overly easy (I play on "hard") - and the exploration is pretty good. Yes, the areas are enclosed - but you find a lot of loot by exploring carefully, and as opposed to the Gothics - you actually find unique and interesting loot most of the time, where in Gothic it's usually one more potion or herb.

It handles loot better than Gothic, actually, because unique weapons have unique effects. In Gothic, IIRC, you just keep finding incremental upgrades with increasingly higher requirements. Quite dull, in my opinion, and it's one of the few areas where Arcania is actually better.

It also happens to look great, and I think it's one of the prettiest games I've played so far. It performs well, and the character system (while quite simple) has enough variety for 2-3 playthroughs - if you're into that sort of thing.

I suspect it will end up being a 7 or 7.5 - unless it turns really crappy towards the end.

I'm not getting the strong animosity - though I guess some people REALLY expected a true Gothic, which I certainly never did.

I might be more lenient than usual, but I think it's simply a case of me having modest (and realistic) expectations.

It was also quite cheap at Direct2drive - which is another factor in me getting it.

If you're a fan of this kind of game, I think it's definitely worth checking out. Just don't hate me if you're disappointed ;)

Last edited:
Well, I'm thirty hours in and basically agree with Dartagnan. If you play on 'Gothic' and turn off the minimap/exclamation marks/quest targets, the exploration and combat are pretty enjoyable. The only thing that makes this 'bad' IMO is the writing - how the player is asked to do things in this world - which is dire. Mod quality, and not a good mod. I think it's really bad in that respect.

As others have mentioned, the engine handles some things really well. On my 5850 everything is about 30 fps at 19x12, with lighting in particular looking superb at scales from the huge to the tiny. You can feel when the sun is setting as long shadows are thrown from everything around you, and the foliage dapples you and everything else in broken shadow. Areas in valleys darken while treetops stay lit. It's very impressive, and then you see that wet ground reflects this light when it rains, as it does lightning, and then you see that all magic effects emit light, which illuminate and reflect from everything they should. Mixed in with high res textures and high poly counts and long view distances, it's visually a very impressive game, not quite like anything else. Arguably areas this size could do with more variety, but what they do draw, they really nail. The identikit NPCs are a shame. Having all snappers look the same isn't so bad. Having all men in Silverlake look like my high school maths teacher is just creepy.

The lighting, animation, physics, sound and textures come together really well in combat. When you thunk a bloodfly out of the sky with a double handed axe, it really looks, sounds and acts like that. When something goes down to an arrow, it really goes down. When you've set some skeletons on fire and the flames cast the shadows of their ribs onto the cliff walls as they lurch toward you, with undead priests casting lightining that illuminates the scene while your fireballs streak in the opposite direction… it's not short of atmosphere :) From reviews I get a feeling the easier difficulty levels simplify combat by making the roll-to-safety all you need. It's more enjoyable to do things like interrupt an enemy's 'wind-up' with a sword hilt to the face, or a frost bolt that puts them in slow motion. If you don't use those options from higher up the skill tree I suspect combat is a bit one dimensional, but it's fluid and good looking in all cases IMO.

The one other thing I think they should get credit for is including a lot of Gothic backstory. Diego and all his buddies get roles, which are probably fuller than they were in the other games. The NPCs have back stories about how they learned their skills 'from a smith in Khorinis' etc. And the beasts are all very nice updates of the Gothic menagerie. In the same way you went into G2 and G3 wondering if there would still be scavengers and how they would behave, G4 provides updated versions of all the old faithfuls - a lot of effort has been expended on reimagining the wildlife - in that particular respect it's very much a Gothic. And the one comedy beast they include is probably my favourite RPG beastie ever :)

So, avoid it if the painful quest design will put you off, but if that doesn't matter to you, the engine provides scope for some of the same kind of open-ended exploring and hunting action that the originals did, and looks and feels great while doing it.

It's missing the whole 'living world' framework of the Gothics but the thing that makes it 'bad' is the writing. If you can live with that, it's certainly worth a look.

I have to also agree with both of you that it's not that bad at all
I have the difficulty set to "Gothic" and some fights are pretty darn hard. The characters range from gruff to rude(a Gothic staple) and I am enjoying doing the quests and exploring. I am mostly using the bow and some cold magic for slows so I do a lot of run and gun with beasts. Not 1 crash which is more then my wife can say for the new Fallout game and she is barely into it

I will stop just short of giving it much over eight because I still wish you could stir up the townspeople like the other games.

I was enjoying the combat somewhat on Gothic as at least had some of the feeling of challenge of the originals. However, once got the melee skill tree to the point where you can have an unlimited linked attacks it seems to have gotten ridiculously easy. Never even bother using fury attacks.

Provided you can get the first shot in, single opponents are basically done and only challenge seems to occur when have multiple opponents. Not sure if this is any different with one-handed weapons. Also, i generally don't do too much ranged, but this seems easily exploitable even on gothic, particularly if you pump up ranged damage.

Are my experiences/concerns here abnormal?

Hey all,

I'm 4 hours in on the 360 version and thought I'd just let people know my thoughts on that version. I'm playing on Hard. I have turned off Quest Markers and the 'hide foliage' option, which makes me feel more like I'm actually running through the underbrush.

So far, these are my thoughts:

+ graphics are pretty good after you stop noticing the pop-in with the grass and such. Atmospheric effects and lighting are really great
+ loot is pretty awesome and encourages your exploration as you can find some pretty great stuff off the beaten path. there's a pretty good variety of it, though I'm sure it's not dynamically generated.
+ interface is well done. you can access everything pretty easily. everything is very fast, unlike stupid Fable 2 where it took ages to just get something from a chest
+ combat is fun and reasonably challenging on Hard, especially when you're up against archers. I'm using a one-handed sword + lightning build. I may switch to a 2-handed sword as I honestly never really block except to roll. I just got the ability to shield bash, so if I don't use it at all, I'll move over to a 2-handed.
+ crafting is actually pretty fun. I'm enjoying making all sorts of things and looking forward to being able to make sword etc later.
+ the world is more open than you may have been led to believe. We're not talking Oblivion/FO3 openness, but it's not like Fable either. I'm finding it's open enough to be exploration-friendly. I'd prefer a large open "arena" world, without linear paths, but it's not awful. Fable's world made me trade the game in within a few hours. I hated it.

- Shadows are glitchy. Sometimes there, sometimes not, when you shift a couple inches left or right. Not sure what's going on there.
- Shadows 'tick' across the landscape. This is most apparent at sunrise/sunset or moonrise/moonset. Not a deal breaker, but it does look odd.
- Static loot drops & locations means replayability is likely almost nil.
- Voice acting is decent with some, seriously atrocious with other characters. I want to listen to all the dialogue, but sometimes it's so bad, I just can't. I have to skip it.
- Lip syncing is worse than in some games from 7+ years ago. Heck, when you think that HL2 was from 6 years ago and practically NAILED lipsyncing, this is especially egregious.
- Many of the character models are literally cloned. This is absolutely stupid and immersion-crushing. Couldn't they make more models? The blacksmith guy from the demo (Halwen?) I've seen on reasonably key NPCs THREE times in 4 hours. Quite shameful.
- The story is not ONLY dumb, but completely pointless and linear. This I wasn't really expecting; I was hoping it to be better than this. Basically, it's to the point where you actually don't need to even bother with dialogue - every dialogue could be a non-interactive cutscene... you can't change the outcome or really do anything other than press 'continue'... so what's the point? I don't get why they bothered.
- Every quest so far is... "Oh, you want to go THERE? Well... you COULD, BUT <insert quest element here> is keeping you from being able to. Hmmm. Tell you what if you <go here/get this/kill that> for me, I bet I could <help you/open door/talk to next person in quest> for you. What do you think?" To which you have no option but to click <next line of dialog>. Now, Oblivion is cookie-cutter, sure. But at least the quests, though many were mundane, had some semblance of OPTIONS available to you. Some were really different. Heck I'm playing Red Faction: Guerilla which is entirely built around ONE gimmick and it's got quite a few varied quests.

Although it sounds like I'm hating it, I'm enjoying it ... cautiously. I wasn't expecting much, and that's likely saving it for me. I was expecting SOME exploration, with a lot of monster bashing and a bunch of loot. That's exactly what I'm getting. We'll see if I actually finish it.

To summarize: not a living world in any way, shape or form... even Two Worlds felt like a Gothic game compared to this. Fun combat. Decent exploration. I'd give it about a 6 so far. Don't expect too much, don't spend too much on it and you'll do fine.

The reviews told me this so far:

- mostly linear (shallow) story and quests
- mostly meaningless choices
- mostly standard quests
- no reactions to thefts
- instant crafting in the inventory (even during a fight)
- no combat tactics necessary
- easy combat even on higher difficulty levels
- no need to go back to "finshed" areas
- one picklock opens all doors
- you cannot attack non-hostiles
- very little replay value
- many clones
- conversations: shallow and irrelevant
- much handholding
- weather & time of the day have no impact on the gameplay
- dumbed down skill system
- automatic level ups
- no need to repair items
- no need to rest
- no need to eat and drink
- no friendly fire
- no living world, background conversations, NPC-schedules
- no moral system -> do anything you want anytime
- no background stories, told by books etc.
- no faction system
- one way dialogs, no talking options
- contrived world

This is an rpg-fans list of 1000 horrors - in no case I'm going to buy this game.

Last edited:
The reviews told me this so far:

- mostly linear (shallow) story and quests
- mostly meaningless choices
- mostly standard quests
- no recation to thefts
- instant crafting in the inventory (even during a fight)
- no combat tactics necessary
- easy combat even on higher difficulty levels
- no need to go back to "finshed" areas
- one picklock opens all doors
- you cannot attack non-hostiles
- very little replay value
- many clones
- conversations: shallow and irrelevant
- much handholding
- weather & time of the day have no impact on the gameplay
- dumbed down skill system
- automatic level ups
- no need to repair items
- no need to rest
- no need to eat and drink
- no friendly fire
- no living world, background conversations, NPC-schedules
- no moral system -> do anything you want anytime
- no background stories, told by books etc.
- no faction system
- one way dialogs, no talking options
- contrived world

This is an rpg-fans list of 1000 horrors - in no case I'm going to buy this game.

Have you ever played a non-RPG and enjoyed it? ;)

Have you ever played a non-RPG and enjoyed it?

Of course I played many non-RPGs - shooters, space-sims, strategy-games, adventures ... -> but I'm always enjoying them most, when the specific game elements of each genre are fine tuned and well developed.

I'll pass, it doesn't sound like something I need to play. Actually, it seems I wouldn't be able to run it on my system anyway.

Taken alone as a Gothic sequel - it would score much lower, mind you, but I think the actual entertainment experience should be looked at first, and franchise loyalty second.

I'm not getting the strong animosity - though I guess some people REALLY expected a true Gothic, which I certainly never did.

Completely agree. With the demo, seeing them trot out Diego felt disingenuous and I was concerned that I would end up hating the game for doing stuff I would see as them jumping up and down shouting 'hey, look at how Gothic-y we are!'.

But actually playing it I am fine seeing returning characters, and the other integration with prior entries. I also agree that the writing is pretty lousy, but I am just rolling with it. Would like some more choices every now and then, though ...

Back
Top Bottom