What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I won't. Watch. Nor would cry in a Rambo movie… :)

Current mainstream aside as I kinda don't care about any of it, a few titles I did watch recently so a short input on each.

Accidental Detective and Accidental Detective 2 are emotions filled korean crime comedies. If you loved Watch Dogs 2, you'll love these two movies. No, you're not a hacker although one will help the main duo, but it's the style that makes them likeable. Not mustwatches, but if you want some fun instead of dark&gritty crime garbage, give both a shot. Cases the duo is trying to solve are fresh, so don't expect yet another oh this was covered already by Agatha Christie 100 years ago.

The French Connection and The French Connection 2 I've watched ages ago but almost completely forgot thus needed refreshing my memory. Although shootout sounds feel silly today and blood is an obvious red paint, these are top notch character dramas in a crime&action setting. The second movie is even better as it concentrated only on Gene Hackman who proved his talent carrying the whole movie on his shoulders. Hollywood doesn't make gems like these any more and both are IMO a mustwatch before you die.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a horror for kids (and teens). Which means don't expect gore, nudity, weed, alcohol or whatever something that would trigger whatever ignorant rating board to slap some irrelevant warnings on it. Although self censored, the story is told in a way for normal people to enjoy it. Yes, this one is not written for mentally impaired people unlike 90% horrors coming from Hollywood, actors are all likeable and of course there is enough of humor but also an antiwar message (who needs wars when there is a danger in your neighborhood). A bit silly yet fun, when you get disappointed into mainstream, go for this one, especially if you need a "horror" for a family and friends night.

Adam's Apples I've been postponing for years. You've never heard about it? But of course you didn't, because dart never cared. And of course he left again, so I can't rub his nose.
This movie is a danish masterpiece of black comedy. I promise you've never seen anything similar to it thus whatever you're watching, put it on hold, and find this crazy movie. A musthave in your home DVD collection.

Sennentuntschi is an exotic horror from Switzerland. Yea, when was the last time you watched a swiss movie? It walks the line between reality and imagination where it won't tell you in the end what was real and what wasn't, you choose. Deaths are real though and this is one rare movie that shows both society and humanity as they are. Rotten. Again, you've never seen anything like this before and don't die before you take this ride!

Paycheck is scifi I watched when it was released but almost completely forgot the plot and it's story. Went to refresh my memory, got very happy out of it. A story does try to be too smart at moments, but you won't be bored at any minute and ending is clever enough not to disappoint you. Of course, there are tons of humor here fresh even today. While not a masterpiece, still a mustwatch if you ask me, even if you're not into scifi as it adds elements from all possible genres: action, crime, thriller, dystopia, romance, name it.

A doublepost because I have to share the near future plan of mine.

- Rewatch (those I forgot almost completely) or watch for the first time martial arts movies I remember the title or suggested from numerous internet "best martial arts movies of all times". Those I can find. Those I can't, ah well, remasters of classics appear annually so there.
Won't watch Bruce Lee movies (because I did rewatch those cca a decade ago) and also no to ip man trilogy as some Hollywood schmuck decided to milk more $ with upcoming 4th installment thus I'm gonna wait for saga to end.

- Rewatch all De Finnes' Gendarme movies. 6 of those. All I remember I couldn't stop laughing when I was a kid. Is it just a failing memory or these were really good, need to make sure now when I'm one foot in a grave.

- Rewatch all Terence Hill and Bud Spencer stuff I can find. The same reason as above, I know I loved the duo when I was young, not sure if that's blurry memory or they were actually fun.

Am I crazy? No. I'm simply sick and tired of modern mediocrity. When and if the modern cinema returns to making more good than bad movies, maybe I won't have a fat reason for revisiting classics.

The Aeronauts (2019)

An interesting film. I would say that there is two ways to view this film. The first, which I subscribe to, is that it is a thrilling adventure film with man and woman overcoming the elements to make scientific progress. Brilliant acting and adventure. Not a historical recreation.

The second is that the claim is made that this film was "inspired" by true events. When you ask what is actually true about the film it appears to be that the balloon went up and then came down. The rest is "creative" inspiration which I think means was made up to make lots of money. Nothing wrong with that except the film clearly states it was inspired by true events leaving a nasty taste that the claim is another of those marketing ploys designed to separate us from our money. Anyone who went thinking that they were seeing a historical recreation will be sorely disappointed.

The film was pure entertainment but is has no historical value. I would give it 7 out of 10 which means I would watch it again.

PS not out for some until early December.

I wasn't planning to see the new Charlie’s Angels movie but tickets for Frozen 2 sold out so ended up watching it. Wow, what a movie! I think easily the best movie I have seen this year!!! Two hot chicks and Kristin Stewart kicking ass, what else could you ask for? The movie was also very woke as well, I mean 3 women being told what to do by cis white male who does not get off his back side? Anyway I highly recommend and you all should watch it.

Erm… I hated the first Frozen. Not only because it was boring and IMO the weakest Disney animated movie ever, but because it was selling like hotcakes. So Disney now thinks the worse the movie is, more money it'll make. Horrors.
It'll take more than just one input to persuade me into watching it's sequel and even then I'll be very cautious.

Will definetly go for new Angels, so far those were silly fun and top choice when exhausted from work (and not grinding like I posted in bs of the week thread).

Anyhow, got a recommendation from a friend to watch Apt Pupil from 1998. And my god, whatta gem. A boy finds out that a bus commuter is former nazi concentration camps officer and decides to blackmail him. Oddly, the guy doesn't kill the boy but does something else that will change lives (and cause some deaths) in the smalltown where this is happening.
The movie is not perfect, but is an unique story with some superb performances and some bad (Ross from Friends sucks!) with an absolutely strong character development message about humanity that, without spoiling much is like saying "an opportunity makes a thief".
Watch before you die, please, as Hollywood doesn't make gems like these any more (Vudu, Amazon or iTunes, apparently is coming also to Hulu).

Another one I have to recommend is a comedy Stuber. Initially I went for it because Iko Uwais in villain role, but he has only a few mins in the movie. The first quarter of the movie is a bit boring and in a few scenes plain irritating. Once it opens up, well, I was laughing like an idiot. Cheeky, not politically correct, absurd and silly at times, I plain loved it. Well, except the beginning so try to bare through first 20ish minutes.
It's no mustwatch, but another suggestion to pick after disastrous day at work and it's streaming or is rentable practically on every platform.

Due to lack of concentration forgot to comment.
My older son (film student) is a huge fan of Drive, and on first viewing it really didn’t do much for me …
:confused:
Drive is one of modern Hollywood's rarities, turned out so good you won't believe it's from this decade. It's a book adaptation and because the director and script writer are otherwise shockseeking mediocre tradesmen, I guess the credit should go to the bookwriter and awsome cast.
I have no idea what didn't do much for you, but if anyone still didn't see this one, find it, asap!
An interesting film. I would say that there is two ways to view this film. The first, which I subscribe to, is that it is a thrilling adventure film with man and woman overcoming the elements to make scientific progress. Brilliant acting and adventure. Not a historical recreation.
I suppose it's this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6141246/
Mark me absolutely not interested, sorry.

Speaking of based on true events history/biography flicks I avoid like a plague because that genre turned into revisionism/sjw, another friend of mine suggested me recently Salyut 7.
I'm not sure I'll ever go for it, but he warned me that I should watch it with subs like I don't always do exactly that. Here's the trailer for those interested in those types of movies:

The Irishman. A solid movie. I'm not sure whether it was partly due to my frame of mind at the time of viewing, but I'm still thinking about it a day later. The character exposition was some of the best I've seen. At over 3 1/2 hours long, the only part that dragged was the final 20 minutes, the rest of it captivating me fully.

That said, the de-aging process on Deniro felt slipshod. His movement was stiff and his shoulders hunched over to the point of eliminating his neck, all the while portraying his 40 year old self. In the same vein, Joe Pesci's character was, from what I gathered, supposed to be a much older father figure to Deniro's. This was strained as well considering the actors are approximately the same age. Nevertheless, this awkwardness quickly fell to the wayside, replaced with an enjoyment of seeing Pesci onscreen again.

Scorsese did a great job with the pace of the film and I especially liked how he would insert details of prominent mob figures' deaths when we would see them on screen. It really added a sense of weight to what was sometimes a romanticized way of life.

9/10

Yep so I had a busy week watching movies at home and at the theater.

Avengers: Endgame - Another good Marvel movie and if you watched the other 20 or so it's more of the same. Shame quite a few heroes are now gone, and Phase 4 doesn't interest me as much.

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Same as above but they at least try to be original with a different looking MJ who really doesn't fit the role in my honest opinion. Anyway it's set after Avengers: Endgame.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Stay the hell away from this garbage. The series should of ended after part three. Seriously though it seems every sequel just gets worse then the one before.

Zombieland: Double Tap - If you enjoyed the first one it continues after the sequel but five years later. The humor might not be to everyone's tastes so be warned. It's an average movie at best.

Hint: Value theaters are better options.The food still costs a lot but tickets are cheaper.

Last edited:
I liked the first one but hte second one was just plain stupid - without the humour the first one had to keep it going.

Zombieland: Double Tap - If you enjoyed the first one it continues after the sequel but five years later. The humor might not be to everyone's tastes so be warned. It's an average movie at best.

Hint: Value theaters are better options.The food still costs a lot but tickets are cheaper.

Drive is one of modern Hollywood's rarities, turned out so good you won't believe it's from this decade. It's a book adaptation and because the director and script writer are otherwise shockseeking mediocre tradesmen, I guess the credit should go to the bookwriter and awsome cast.
I have no idea what didn't do much for you, but if anyone still didn't see this one, find it, asap!

I thought it was ‘good’ when we watched it - no one got up or checked their phone, but would never have returned to rewatch it on my own. But I am really glad I did - because as you say it really is a gem, and the performances and scenes and cinematography all just get better upon repeated viewings.

Anyone needs some more "for friends and family" with different tastes?

Olympus Has Fallen - 2013
London Has Fallen - 2016
Angel Has Fallen - 2019

Pros for co-op watching:
- a story for braindead :)
- 5 minutes of drama total, 5 mins of humor and the rest of it is plain action in each
- high quality effects, sounds and stunts
- Gerard Butler (with a guy from neighborhood looks, kicking some serious terrorist arse)

Cons:
- forced "patriotism" scenes, luckily these are rare

These three movies are made to be fun and not phylosophical dragging tractates about purpose of life or something, and all three nailed it.
The trilogy is not a mustwatch of course, but when in mood for some action movies, these three are among finest that exist.
Rambo? Who's Rambo? ;)

EDIT:
Bonus, an answer to the most important question of all times:
Who was master Yoda's teacher? Pic or it didn't happen? How about a 2 mins vid?

Last edited:
All three are just plain awful. Even the recent terminator was better and it isn't that great. At least London has well London and we can watch a bridge falling down because London Bridge is always falling down.

Anyone needs some more "for friends and family" with different tastes?

Olympus Has Fallen - 2013
London Has Fallen - 2016
Angel Has Fallen - 2019

Pros for co-op watching:
- a story for braindead :)
- 5 minutes of drama total, 5 mins of humor and the rest of it is plain action in each
- high quality effects, sounds and stunts
- Gerard Butler (with a guy from neighborhood looks, kicking some serious terrorist arse)

Cons:
- forced "patriotism" scenes, luckily these are rare

These three movies are made to be fun and not phylosophical dragging tractates about purpose of life or something, and all three nailed it.
The trilogy is not a mustwatch of course, but when in mood for some action movies, these three are among finest that exist.
Rambo? Who's Rambo? ;)

The Irishman: yes, that one.
Over 30? Good. Watch it. You'll like it.
Under 30? Grow up and watch it. You won't understand it now.
30? Oh, f*ck yourself, you indecisive b*stard ;)

FYI: 30 is the new 18.

IIRC posted already that I've decided to skippit, but I'd say it like this:

Interested in xth gangsters/mobsters… Hoffa?… movie? Stream it on Netflix.
Interested in shallow overhyped fantasy instead? Skippit and go cinema for Frozen 2.
No to both, but a potential gem from idealess modern Hollywood? Cinema for Knives Out!
Not interested in any of it? What are you even doing in this thread then?! :D

Age doesn't matter. ;)

Interested in xth gangsters/mobsters… Hoffa?… movie? Stream it on Netflix.

Absolutely DON'T stream this one.
Watch on the big screen in the dark, as God (=In Martin We Trust) intended.

Man, it's not available in cinemas anymore (for all I know) and when it was screening, those were selected ones.

Watched another Netflixoid and can't believe something… But first something else.

One of the most underrated movies ever, IMO is Fallen from 1998.
One might say 7/10 on imdb and 6.2/10 on metacritic is not a bad score, then peek on rotten tomatoes that slapped 4/10 on it with this excuse "Has an interesting premise. Unfortunately, it's just a recycling of old materials, and not all that thrilling".
Say what?!
Fallen starts as a crime noir, then enters horror, evolves into psychological thriller only to end with a dark comedy twist. Recycling? Whatta joke. Not thrilling? It wasn't supposed to be (the whole of it) a thriller!
These types of movies that flirt with many genres instead of being a slave to one, sadly, because of cynicism and so called professionalism, can't get close to boring drama/history/war/biography combinations where 10/10 are reserved only for that garbage.
There is more to this. Google Denzel Washington's best movies and you'll notice that this gem is either not on those if top 10-20 or at the bottom if whole filmography. Unbelievable.

With it's execution of genre bending where each step is perfectly planned, Fallen comes close to masterpiece. If you died without watching it, shame on you.

And now onto the Netflix exclusive movie from this year: Eli. What's it about?
A kid with auto immune disorder is brought to a sterilized house for a treatment. Things start to happen and the kid suspects the hause is haunted. Which might not be the truth as due to a treatment to get him better, it's all most probably halucinations.
imdb says 5.8/10, RT says 4.8/10, no metacritic. So it's some mediocrity?
It's not. It's another underrated movie that deserves better.

While watching it you'll notice minor inconsistencies and script errors, some camera misplaced scenes, a few editing crimes and of course - bad acting in several occasions.
The movie seems to be rushed. The script definetly needed some more polish and rework as neither the kid nor his mother couldn't do much with the existing (in some parts cringy) material. Seems Netflix didn't care as long as deadline is respected. Also the twist could have been presented as a Monty Python poke in the eye just like in Fallen, sadly, the movie didn't dare to go that route.

But that's all nitpicking. Eli is entertaining, your brain will be working to discover potential twists (ending is not predictable) and you won't be bored. It's an above average horror considered mediocre by both critics and audience for "because of course" reason. Unlike Fallen, it's not a mustwatch, but it's not a mustskip2saveprecioustime either. If you notice it while browsing Netflix for some horror night, give it a shot.

Absolutely DON'T stream this one.
Watch on the big screen in the dark, as God (=In Martin We Trust) intended.

Seconding this. Watch The Irishman in the theaters, if you can. So much immersion gets lost when streaming the movie from your living room.

Back
Top Bottom