INSOMNIA: The Ark - Review @Indigo Gaming

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
INSOMNIA: The Ark was reviewed by Indigo Gaming.

This is the debut episode of a series where I explore the games that emulate that old-school Fallout feeling. Apocalypse Archives is going to be a set of reviews of post-apocalyptic RPGs, action and survival games that are compelling, fun and immersive. A great resource for those turned off by the latest official entries by Bethesda, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in particular. The first game covered in this series is Insomnia: The Ark, a game by Studio Mono, set on a decrepit space station where factions, clandestine operatives and supernatural forces collide in an unusual but compelling setting. Borrowing elements from old-school Fallout, and new-school RPGs like Mass Effect, this game is one to keep an eye out for. Full disclosure: I was given a Steam key for this game free of charge by the developer.
More information.

I just discovered Tactics Ogre PSP - how amazing the in-engine intro is and the fantastic talent there among the developers. Plus it has a well loved MOD titled One Vision. I was hungering for such a game for a very long time!! After this I'm checking out FFT with the similarly beloved Rebirth MOD. Yeehhhaaaaaww!

Tactics Ogre flat-out changed how I looked at all games, in a very good way. And quite frankly, spoiled me for many others. Often imitated, never duplicated.

Has anyone played the game yet? Steam reviews are rather bad…

I've played it for a few hours. As I've mentioned in previous threads, I think the game has tons of potential. The setting is unique, and I really like the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, it's still a buggy mess at the moment. The devs are actively working to fix the issues, but I'm going to wait for at least one more patch before going back.

IMHO Indigo Gaming is one of the great games' channel on YouTube. His videos about earlier Elder Scrolls games are very good.

There is a bug where the localization gets screwed up and (for English speakers) some map and item texts switch to Russian. It sounds like they are working hard to get this bug fixed, but for that reason I am also waiting before playing.

Looks like I am going to need to buy it in a few months after so me patching.

Every new game nowadays seems to fall into this category.

What category you ask well it's the wait and see before you buy.

Can anyone who played it share their opinion? I don't mind a game rough around the edges but the core systems and the basic RPG mechanics need to be solid.

I think the atmosphere and visuals are phenomenal. It really captures this very unique and cool look and feel with the space steam punk retro post apocalyptic like set up.

Very little hand-holding and have to explore and chat a lot to find people and places. Much more old school that way then even some of the other RPG indie style games out there.

I haven't gotten far enough to hit any big bugs yet although I am up to current patches. Somewhat waiting for the next big patch before I invest too much more time.

By main gripe with the game is the camera. You can't rotate it, not even a little, on the Z axis. It really annoys me to no end for some reason. I haven't been able to get used to it yet. I fee like my neck is stuck in a single position and hate not being able to look up or down at all.

Consequently I can only play it for a little while because of this. Also not happy about the key mapping issue. But I did find a thread with a guide on how to do key mapping:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/783170/discussions/0/3220528325734881065/?ctp=2

Back
Top Bottom