Partition size editing

VPeric

Sentinel
For some reason, I left a hefty 35GB unpartitioned on my new drive (I think I wanted space for another Linux partition, but never got around to making, or rather needing it), which I would now like to use. However, since I've already got quite a few drive letters, I'd prefer to just join it with the existing NTFS partition on that disk. The problem is that the NTFS partition is large (>200GB) and full, and I can't backup it all, so I can really only do this if the merge can be performed without any data risk. Is this possible at all, or will I have to find a way to backup it all?

For the record, the disk has: 2-3 various Linux related partitions, free space, NTFS partition, in that order. I'd like to merge the empty space with (I can get a detailed listing if needed, but I don't see why it would be).

Thanks. :)

VPeric, *please* back up your drive. Not because you want to mess with the partitions, but because something *will* go wrong, sooner or later. You can buy a pretty hefty drive for the cost of 1-2 games. I'm sure you can afford that much.

I'd prefer to just join it with the existing NTFS partition on that disk. The problem is that the NTFS partition is large (>200GB) and full, and I can't backup it all, so I can really only do this if the merge can be performed without any data risk. Is this possible at all, or will I have to find a way to backup it all?

you can merge the unused space with an existing partition but you need a partition manager software. some good ones out there are: PowerQuest PartitionMagic, Easeus Partition Manager or Paragon Partition Manager. as usual, the catch is that even the software will not guarantee the integrity of the data after the merger. so the onus is on you to backup before attempting to resize the partition.

Back
Top Bottom