Bard's Tale - Remastered for PS4 & Vita

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Eurogamer InXile have surprise released The Bard's Tale Remastered for PS4 and Vita players.

UPDATE 5PM: Sony via InXile has confirmed to us the European launch dates for The Bard's Tale: Remastered, which are 21st August on Vita and 22nd August on PS4.

ORIGINAL STORY 12PM: The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled has just been released by developer inXile Entertainment.

Writing on The Bard's Tale official Facebook page, the developer revealed it has released a remastered version of the game for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.

"inXile Entertainment is proud to announce that a remastered version of its first title, the action RPG "The Bard's Tale", is now out on PS4 and PS Vita," the developer wrote on Facebook.

"Featuring doubled resolution for all textures, the game also runs at 4k 60fps. Sharing only a name with the original series, this "Bard's Tale" is instead a comedic send-up of the fantasy RPG genre starring Cary Elwes as the Bard and the late, great Tony Jay as the bemused Narrator of the tale. 13 years later, it endures as one of our most popular titles on PC and mobile. Today, we are pleased to return the game to the console realm."
[...]
More information.

One of the few games that I'd never replay, I just don't recall any good memories except maybe a joke or two. It simply wasn't good enough to bear the name, imo.

I never played this, so I guess I don't need to put it on my backlog?

It is not a great game. Surprise they bothered. Maybe it is more fun on a console ? I found it very repetitive and contrived but the humour was ok. I played on linux which had some additional bugs that made it less enjoyable. Also it has save points - and this was esp annoying with the bugs I ran into because when it started to have issues I couldn't save and reload I had to try to make it to the next save point (the bugs were graphical but to the extent that once the corruption started it quickly became unplayable a few minutes later - so you typically had about 5 minutes to find a save point).

I never played this, so I guess I don't need to put it on my backlog?

It's not that it's a bad game, it's not great but it's not bad. The problem is that it shouldn't have the name "Bard's Tale". Had it been "Funky Lute" then it would have been just another mediocre console RPG (not JRPG), sort of like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance with a comedy theme.

It is not a great game. Surprise they bothered. Maybe it is more fun on a console ? I found it very repetitive and contrived but the humour was ok. . . . .

I thought the humor was excellent but the game was mind numbingly repetitive. Fighting your way into a cave (dungeon, maze, castle etc.) was tedious and then to fight your way back out was ridiculous to the extreme. I got between 15 to 20 hours out of the game but came no where near close to finishing. This game falls into my personal category of the "never playing ever again".

Bard's Tale is the best humorous RPG that InXile was ever able to produce. After that InXile created horrendous trash, heap of trainwrecks, disappointing garbage in W2, Torment, which apparently was a torment to play and their other crap..

Drat!

I, too, thought this meant the Old Skuul remaster of the BT games was out...and then clicked on the link and was very disappointed.

I thought this game was awful. It starts out as a send-up of rpgs then quickly devolves into the most uninspiring, shallow action RPG I have ever played. Longer you play, the more repetitive, too, and it eventually just gives up on being a parody. Blech!

Bard's Tale is the best humorous RPG that InXile was ever able to produce. After that InXile created horrendous trash, heap of trainwrecks, disappointing garbage in W2, Torment, which apparently was a torment to play and their other crap..

Wow, you and I certainly don't agree on what makes a good game. Good to know, I'll just have to pretend that everything you're writing is irony and then your views will make perfect sense.

Well you clearly have no sense of direction and this post just proves it. Bard's tale (2004) was a not great game but W2 was actually quite good.

Btw since you seem to be clueless here are some helpful links:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wasteland-2-directors-cut
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-bards-tale

(btw bards tale actually does better on metacritic user reviews than I expected :) )
-
Did you actually play both of these games ?

Back
Top Bottom