Witcher 3 Velen area a crazy mix of levels?

The Witcher 3

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I’m playing the Complete Edition. Very difficult to range around because of the crazy mix of levels unlike the first area. Was it always like this or is it because I’m playing the version with expansions installed? Did they add high level content right in existing areas? I’ve run into some pretty crazy Uber bosses. I’m running away a lot!

It’s open world so you can run into enemies of all different levels. Your quests will have recommended levels if you just stay within those levels you won’t run into anything too high level.

Honestly though the combat in Witcher 3 is laughably easy. I was able to easily complete quest 10-15 level higher than my level. It takes a while because you don’t do much damage being that much lower level than the enemies but the enemies are so easy to dodge that you should be able to just chip away at them. I wouldn’t recommend taking on quests much higher though as I quickly found out that rewards will scale to your level.

For instance I completed a quest for a blacksmith that was level 25 or so when I was level 10. He said if I did the quest he’d reward me with an amazing sword. After completion I got a level 7 sword that was weaker than my weapon I had. For this reason I’d say only play quests in your level range and don’t do free form exploration as it not worth it imo. You’ll get all the quest just by following the normal progression of the game and any POI you’ll find by exploring like monster nests, liberating a village, etc. becomes repetitive and boring after the 150 hours or so to finish the game with dlc.

I’m not having problems playing the game. I’m just asking if the areas are more lethal to explore because of the expansions or if Velen was always set up this way. And yes i regularly kill things twice my level but at level 5 when I see a level 34 anything I RUN

There was when I played it but I also played it after all dlc was released. So I can’t comment on the state of the game before dlc.

This game is starting to astound me. The quality of the writing on some of these side quests is exceptional let alone the main quest. No spoilers but the side quests with Keira. Damn.

This game is starting to astound me. The quality of the writing on some of these side quests is exceptional let alone the main quest. No spoilers but the side quests with Keira. Damn.

I don't even consider that one of the better quests. You have a lot to look forward to. :)

*Edit* Wait, are you referring to..

The quest on the island with the rat infested tower? If so, I agree that was pretty memorable. Still, there are better quests yet to come.

So what choice did you make with the ghost in the tower? :)

Last edited:

Writing is indeed superb - as is the presentation. Yes, Keira is a very….. interesting woman ;)

I don't even consider that one of the better quests. You have a lot to look forward to. :)

*Edit* Wait, are you referring to..

The quest on the island with the rat infested tower? If so, I agree that was pretty memorable. Still, there are better quests yet to come.

So what choice did you make with the ghost in the tower? :)

Naturally I
got suckered by the wraith :). Bad day being mr nice guy. Did the whole romantic dinner thing and got rolled again. Keira is at the keep supposedly now

Wait until you're done with this quest

One of the very, very rare instances of a quest that made me reload my game and change my choice. I confronted Keira and would have none of her bullshit. That triggered a response I didn't quite expect - and at the end of it all, everything felt empty and wrong. Hehe, so I had to do that over again.

That’s the trouble with many RPG’s and dialog choices. Often left with too narrow a set of options or something totally absurd. Mass Effect does that in spades!

Indeed, which is exactly why I don't think that much of C&C as "roleplaying" - but TW3 is better than most in that area, I find.

It’s not without its faults and I’m on the fence whether a more structured hub & spoke model is superior for story continuity (Witcher 2) but this is pretty remarkable. Off quests it behaves almost like Guild Wars 2 with fun area discovery for farming. That gets old after a while and it’s a ticket for game imbalance but even at level 7 there were a few deaths in my level 5 main questing. That I’m happy about. I hope the world stays threatening. If I have to I’ll amp the difficulty in the long run

It’s not without its faults and I’m on the fence whether a more structured hub & spoke model is superior for story continuity (Witcher 2) but this is pretty remarkable. Off quests it behaves almost like Guild Wars 2 with fun area discovery for farming. That gets old after a while and it’s a ticket for game imbalance but even at level 7 there were a few deaths in my level 5 main questing. That I’m happy about. I hope the world stays threatening. If I have to I’ll amp the difficulty in the long run

I highly recommend forgetting all the non-quest stuff - as it's neither rewarding in terms of progression nor exploration. Well, I certainly didn't think so. Except for a few cases of Witcher gear "hunts" - which were neat.

But pretty much every quest is interesting and worth doing in terms of the story.

That said, I personally experienced HEAVY dialogue fatigue after around 100 hours or so. I particularly despised the Novigrad Dandelion section of the game - which was just dreadfully dull throughout - apart from a neat singing sequence.

I guess it depends on personal preferences - but I really don't think TW3 is a good fit for the "OCD" approach of clearing everything. Way, way too much filler for that.

TW2 was much tighter and focused on delivering what it was really good at. For some odd reason, I also found combat better and with a tighter balance.

Again, though, that was on vanilla "hard". I have no idea what people are talking about when they say TW2 combat was easy on that setting. Certainly wasn't easy to me - and I'm pretty good at combat in RPGs.

TW3 on "Death March" becomes way too easy way too soon. You struggle a little in the beginning - because of the ridiculous damage mobs deal versus a pathetic amount of HP you have as a player. But once you get into the groove and use the right spells for the right encounter - it's very easy. Much easier than TW2 ever was on the higher settings.

IMO, obviously.

If you're concerned about difficulty, I'd recommend not going after the Witcher gear sets. I feel like they're overpowered, and they add nothing to the game other than making it easier.

Just working with drops and a few items from protected treasure. Every time I work towards crafting an item I find one better in a drop

The quest writing in Velen is spectacular. A high point of the game. Well the main quest is too at times.

Witcher 3 spoiled me. Now the writing in every RPG afterwards sucks

Back
Top Bottom