What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Eh, I enjoyed Wonder Woman greatly - and little due to the mere fact she was a woman.

You want to see schlock, take a look at the constant barrage of upskirt and butt shots of the character in Justice League. It's plain uncomfortable for anyone other than a 14 year old boy.

Seriously? I didn't even notice, but now I'll have to watch it again. Gadot never appealed to me because her tits aren't big enough, but upskirt shots FTW.

I don't know if he is still like this but back when he was doing the festival circuit he was always very available. He is just just such a huge fan of movies that he would talk to anyone with the same enthusiasm.

No, my sisters best friend came into some money quit her job and took film school in California. She was in the top of her class and their was a grad party 3 years ago. My sister flew down for the grad and got invited to attend with her.

So did she say if he is still cool? I hope so, I chatted with him twice - first time while promoting Reservoir Dogs, then again at a Jap Film Festival in the early '00s.

Catching up on Phillip Seymore Hoffman movies:

Cold Mountain (2003). PSH was still a character actor at this point so his appearance here is a notable ensemble character, but wow, does he make it shine as one of the most memorable. Renee Zellweger got all the acting awards for this film in her supporting role but everyone is great here, Nicole Kidman, Jude Law, Donal Sutherland, even Ray Winstone's dodgy American accent.

It's a western but not like any western you've probably seen before. It charts the trials and tribulations of two lovers who got separated by the American civil war. Kidman has to stave off starvation, hostile affections and mental decay on the home front while Law has to firstly survive life as a confederate soldier and then secondly try to survive as a deserter trying to get back to his love.

It's directed by the guy who directed The English Patient and I think this film is a whole bunch more entertaining than that while also managing to nail even more emotion-nodes. It's as much Apocalypse Now in the old west as it is harrowing love story and classic western. Do not be put off by anyone writing it off as 'just a love story', there's no greater injustice that a film can have, this film is an absolute orgy of spectacle on par with such epics as Les Miserables or any classic Dickens work. Extremely rewatchable as well. 4.5/5

Charlie Wilson's War (2007) and PSH is now the main supporting actor almost on-par with it's star Tom Hanks. It's quite telling that PSH was the only part of this film to be nominated for an Oscar. As per usual with the Oscars though, one can't help but feel that this nomination was for other work that got overlooked rather than for this specific role as there's something not quite great about this film and I think most of it stems from the writing.

Its a story about the Hanks character, Charlie Wilson, who was the solitary US Senator to take an interest in the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan in late 1979, to which, primarily due to his persistence, kinda resulted in the break up of the soviet union in the early 1990s. So the film charts this decade of his life. PSH plays his intelligence agency co-conspirator.

This is an odd time for a movie like this, and it was an odd time for it when it was made because the good guys here are the Muslims. The poor, reduced to refugee status Afghan rebels. And the Americans are arming them! Well, if you can cope with that mental turn-about from your current mindset then you can probably find something watchable here as the performances are enjoyable and the production values are suitably high for a Hanks starred project.

But the something that's off is the often tepid and uninteresting dialogue. It's written more like an optimistic afternoon TV movie than a serious epic of global importance. Any depth in the script is reserved solely for tedious and repetitive 'wise man say' anecdotes that while obviously have meaning tend to lack anything around the speaking of them to give them any kind of weight beyond script-filler. Worth a watch for the historical eyebrow raises but not a lot beyond that 3/5.

A Most Wanted Man (2014) was PSH's last starring role before he died. The film even has a dedication to him at the end, which adds even more emotion to a very emotion-strong ending here.

And this film is all about the ending. It's one of those films where the viewer is kept in the dark more than the characters as PSH once again plays an intelligence officer, only this time he's playing a very grumpy German one in Hamburg. Us poor viewers are kept pretty damn well confused for most of the film, which will be quite distracting for a lot of people and for me I only just managed to cope, but mainly because I'm already familiar with the works of John Le Carre, which are all atmospheric more than action spy romps.

PSH is great and the plot is serviceable and does what it needs to have the big pay-off ending. Once again though, you'll have to be prepared to see Muslim terrorists from varying perspectives and you'll probably have to have some sense of how European, and particularly German, foreign policy has it's own quirks and competitions than those of the more commonly recognised USA stances.

Sort of like a Scandy-noir but set in Germany starring an American who's playing a German, written by an English Frenchman. Bonkersly confusing plot but fascinating lead actor keeps one entertained regardless 3.5/5.

Not sure I agree with your conclusion on these two movies. While Rene was fantastic in this movie (not sure she has had a good part since - 'cept of course her new movie); but overall i found the movie kind of well boring. THe book is much better but a bit seems lost in the movie and it just sort of wanders. Kind of a fatalistic story if your into those things. Charlie WIlson's war had so much energy - i found it a blast. It might not have the raw acting that Cold Mountain had but it was a lot easier to just let go... which in a sense is a result of the quality acting.

Cold Mountain (2003). P. 4.5/5

Charlie Wilson's War (2007) 3/5.

Just watched the 2019 revision of Hellboy. I went in expecting it to be terrible given the official reviews. I came out pleasantly surprised it was watchable and enjoyable.

The King 7/10

Very good film. Superb performance from that main kid actor.

I didn't particularly care for the "twist" near the end, because it felt forced - and a little too convenient in terms of elevating the woman delivering it - making the otherwise very wise King out to be such a fool.

I guess you're talking about the new "Biography, Drama, History" thing?
I don't watch those - I'd rather grind all day in some mmo.

Still, have to ask, is it better than The King from two years ago? Both are about power over society yet the latter doesn't advertise itself as a history lesson.

That means nothing to me, but if waving platforms instead of dick sizes is the new trend, the movie I'm talking about is Viki (legal streaming, free with ads or paid without) film:
https://www.viki.com/movies/35055c-the-king

You don't know what Netflix means?

Ok, I guess you'll never know what I'm talking about then. Not that you ever did :)

Don't credit yourself that it's just you. I think I don't know what anyone is talking about all the time, not to mention for plenty of things I've never heard. :)

It's just that you won't be here for long so I have to make the most of it before you're gone.

Just watched the 2019 revision of Hellboy. I went in expecting it to be terrible given the official reviews. I came out pleasantly surprised it was watchable and enjoyable.

I almost walked out on this movie. Absolutely terrible.

I almost walked out on this movie. Absolutely terrible.
I would have also if I watched it in the theater but I payed $3.99 for it at Walmart.

I would have also if I watched it in the theater but I payed $3.99 for it at Walmart.

I actually had no problems with the new Hellboy actor, but the movie itself was terrible imo.. felt like a cheap made for TV movie or something, felt rushed. It did have a FEW cool scenes.. It's too bad because i really liked the previous movies. I bet this is the end of the franchise (as movies at least).

I thought it was ok. Not a patch on the earlier films either creatively or technically, but not bad for a presumably lower budget.

Saw the new terminator - well it was fun - but most of the criticism i've heard is also valid. Sort of like the difference between playing a mindless fps or a well done rpg - every now and then the mindless fps is a lot of fun but dont' expect it to be a deep well done rpg ;)

You sure are a trooper given the current internet outrage about the new terminator. Personally I knew it wasn't for me when the plot and cast was announced.

They should have stopped at terminator III.

So back on topic watched BumbleBee the Transformer spin-off. Yes I'm years behind in watching new movies and trying to catch up. It was an enjoyable pop-corn movie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom