RPG Codex - GOTY 2019 Results

I won't get into the debate over which games are more complicated, I'll just say to me the newer Xcoms feels less complicated than many of the Tactical RPG's. That's just feeling though, I'll leave the proper analysis to other people.

I enjoy all of them, but if I'm forced to pick a favourite I'd choose the original Xcoms, but mostly because of the more interesting strategy later that trumps both the newer XCOMs and all the Tactical RPG's I've played. Combat is fun in all of them.

I won't get into the debate over which games are more complicated, I'll just say to me the newer Xcoms feels less complicated than many of the Tactical RPG's. That's just feeling though, I'll leave the proper analysis to other people.

I enjoy all of them, but if I'm forced to pick a favourite I'd choose the original Xcoms, but mostly because of the more interesting strategy later that trumps both the newer XCOMs and all the Tactical RPG's I've played. Combat is fun in all of them.

Can't stand the new XComs at all as they simplify old systems like the trajectory (which doesnt exist anymore) or cover. My favorite is Jagged Alliance 1/DG/2. However they are arguably not the most "tactical" ones. They offer tons of options, but due to the lack of AI and some cookie cutter behaviour you can easily just go with one method to solve most maps. So in that regard some of the games which offer less options are practically more complex as each decision and option has more weight.

Btw looking forward to Urban Strife. Might be the informal JA successor, JA fans waited for.

Recent video showing some interface:

I would agree that the current X-coms seem way easier now than the classic games are. Personally when I want to experience X-com in its glory, I'll still to the original game plus the Deep one.

I would agree that the current X-coms seem way easier now than the classic games are. Personally when I want to experience X-com in its glory, I'll still to the original game plus the Deep one.
I played old UFO and new Xcoms for 100s of hours on hardest difficulty ironman and new ones are harder but only because of their crazy dependance on RNG.

Original UFO/Xcom has certain things you can do that minimizes RNG effect on your success and then as soon as you reach end game aliens don't have tools to deal with you having Psi Powers or Blaster Launchers.

I played old UFO and new Xcoms for 100s of hours on hardest difficulty ironman and new ones are harder but only because of their crazy dependance on RNG.

Original UFO/Xcom has certain things you can do that minimizes RNG effect on your success and then as soon as you reach end game aliens don't have tools to deal with you having Psi Powers or Blaster Launchers.

Yeah, the originals have more OP stuff (PSI). But I would still reckon it's the harder game for someone going in blind? I can't really judge it properly though since I've played neither the older nor the new ones on Ironman, which would be the only "right" way of determining difficulty.

I find the original a bit easier than the new ones. TftD on the other hander is just pure frustration i.e. searching multiple maps to find one sectiod hidden in a toilet!!

Back
Top Bottom