Crusader Kings III

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
CK3 gets released in an hour or so, and I wasn't gonna pre-order. Nope, not this time.

Then in come all these glowing reviews, and I'm like damn. CK2 is one my favorite games, so yeah, no brainer I guess. I went in for the Royal Edition, and now I'm quite hyped for this game.

Anyone else?

Already pre-ordered and downloaded. :)

I'm busy with Wasteland 3 and Iron Harvest right now though.

Last edited:
I have played and love so many Paradox games but lately Imperator:Rome was and still is after numerous patches a cruel deception. I will wait for this one.

CK2 is the Paradox game I could never quite get into, and not for lack of trying. I couldn't wrap my head around what exactly I was supposed to be doing at any given moment. CK3 might be the ticket to finally cracking that code, but I dunno. I might possibly pick it up in a month or so, after I finish W3 and comfortably before Cyberpunk 2077, but more likely I'll hold off for a while and play EU4 if I get the grand strategy itch, like I usually do.

Yeah, I tried CK2 a few times and bounced off of it each time. I just wasn't having that much fun for whatever reason.

Decided to test it out for a few hours. It's been simplified even more then part two.

What do you mean by "even more"? CK2 isn't a simple game.
Yes it is believe me once you learn the mechanic's it's not complicated.

So unless your a complete newbie every new game is simplified even more in some way then past ones. Look at Hearts of Iron IV and compare it to past versions as well.

Bottom-line is Crusader Kings 2 is the better game. I might enjoy this game down the line, but I'm not liking the changes to the core game-play from Crusader Kings II.

Let me put it in RPG lingo.. It's like comparing Dragon Age to Dragon Age II.:(

Last edited:
I have played and love so many Paradox games but lately Imperator:Rome was and still is after numerous patches a cruel deception. I will wait for this one.
I had my sites set to high for Imperator:Rome. Almost two years after it's release and it still feels incomplete. Paradox should be ashamed for that game. Luckily we have mods.

Bah I stopped playing and went back to Iron Harvest. Having a blast with that game.

CK2 is the Paradox game I could never quite get into, and not for lack of trying. I couldn't wrap my head around what exactly I was supposed to be doing at any given moment.

Yeah, you need to set your own goals, and kinda look at it from an RPG perspective and deal with whatever the game throws your way. It's pretty good in the emergent storytelling department.

But, the achievements can be a good lead if you're looking for a goal: there's one for acquiring the kingdom of England as William the Bastard, for example, which you can then follow up with the one you when you unite the crowns of England, Wales and Scotland under you.
Or they introduced these ruler challenges too to CK2, to build up hype for CK3 basically (you can earn cosmetic items if you complete them), but I found them quite fun in their own right. They kinda make you play in regions you otherwise never play in and give you a goal to reach. I usually play in Western Europe, but one of them had me play in the Middle-East and am having fun with it. I actually converted to Jewish and trying to get the "Kingdom of David" achievement now. :)

Bottom-line is Crusader Kings 2 is the better game. I might enjoy this game down the line, but I'm not liking the changes to the core game-play from Crusader Kings II.

Let me put it RPG lingo.. It's like comparing Dragon Age to Dragon Age II.:(

I admit I haven't played yet, but from what I read, it sounds like the changes they made to the core gameplay are a lot more interesting than what we had in vanilla CK2, with hooks on characters to get favors, individual liege contracts, …
There's no denying CK2 is a more complete game -- I wasn't really expecting CK3 to compete with its predecessor off the bat with its 8 years worth of expansions -- but it sounds like vanilla CK3 compares very favorably to vanilla CK2.

But again, that's hearsay (not just from reviews, I follow the reactions on the forums as well). I intend to remedy that soon though and spin it up, as soon as I can get away from my current CK2 game. :blush:

My Steam Review.:)

The short version, for those who did not play CK2 for copious hours or are new to the series, is that Crusader Kings 3 (CK3) is a good game. Imagine the Sims crossed with a medieval strategy board game. You plot, fight, and pray your way through history as you seek to ensure the survival of your dynasty. If you have a passing interest in history, RPGs, or strategy games you will probably enjoy it.

I would like to address the rest of my review to those who have a history with this franchise. It is hard to compare this game to its predecessor. However, that is obviously the question on everyone's mind and we must fairly compare the two without years of nostalgia. I will try to do so in a concise way that does not go too deeply into the weeds.

CK3 undoubtedly has more content then the base game of CK2. On a one-to-one basis, it's not a fair fight. The religious system has been vastly improved. Whomever paradox hired to research the various heresies, sects, and doctrinal differences of the medieval ages did a fantastic job. While the ability to create your own sect might seem far fetched, and at times it is, but its not too over the top in my opinion. If you don't want to abuse that system, you don't have to. The map and to a certain extent the UI is also improved. Though it does take some getting used to.

There are some stylistic choices, such as the new portraits for the characters, which I feel are subject to personal preference. Some will like them more than the old ones and others will not. I did not find such stylistic choices to be a game-breaking experience.

The big problem obviously looms when you compare CK3 with the CK2 of today. The CK2 with years of DLC to flush out the game. In that respect, CK3 is found wanting. The first country I played as was the Eastern Roman or Byzantine Empire and immediately I noticed a lack of content. While CK2, even with the Heir of Rome expansion, never really managed to do true justice to the Theme System, they didn't really try in CK3. The ERE is a feudal monarchy in the same mold as France or England. Strangely, they kept the option to mend the Great Schism and reforge the Roman Empire but gutted everything else. Also, trade routes have been completely removed from the game, another cut from the CK2 compendium. These and other glaring omissions scream future DLC content and I have very little reason to doubt I am wrong.

So does base CK3 live up to its family legacy or is it the bastard child of Imperator? Honestly, it's an above average son who will not go down as particularly great or terrible. It's good, generally polished, and if you play as a France there is a good chance you notice more good than bad. However, it suffers from the effect that many new paradox games have suffered from and that is a policy of digging a semi-functional well halfway down, selling it, and then coming back later to finish the job. It's playable, its fun, but you can't help but notice what is missing or where they could have expanded the improved mechanics but didn't. But don't worry, in a few months the game will be fleshed out with DLC and surely they will treat us better next time.

Can't purchase in Australia for PC with no real reason given.
Maybe it has to with the game content. Now don't shoot the messenger but you can bed your own family, and even make a full religion based on that as well. I'm not kidding.:biggrin:

Based on that certain games do get censored or blocked in Australia.

you can bed your own family
Why I didn't preorder this game?
Okay, I have other plans for a few next days, but this game is definetly going in my steam catalogue. Options never seen before, choices, consequences - what more do I need.

Okay, I have other plans for a few next days, but this game is definetly going in my steam catalogue. Options never seen before, choices, consequences - what more do I need.
You need to have the lustful trait or divine heritage religion to do so.:biggrin:

Which leads to crazy inbreed heirs like the targaryen dynasty in GoT.

GoT? I'm talking about seeing some real history in a videogame, possibly with things like the so called Habsburg jaw.

I assumed you of all people wouldn't be interested because of future "dlc-o-rama" and the fact you can play it in multiplayer (which would make it an "mmo" for you). You tend to be pretty vocal about that. :p

GoT? I'm talking about seeing some real history in a videogame, possibly with things like the so called Habsburg jaw.

Yeah, they've taken the genetics pretty far from what I gather, so that is actually a thing. At least you might actually be able to tell now if you're being cuckolded. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom