What games are you playing now?

FO1&2 - trashmobs don't respawn.
Stalker - trashmobs respawn.

Make up your mind. So I can know if I'm buying when it's finished.

I started playing Kings bounty legend.
I had started it ages ago and never finished.

I think it'll be a fun game to play and I'm playing as a mage this time.

I'm expecting be weak early on and destroy everything in the later game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

That could be Temporal Anti-Aliasing? (TXAA, TAA) Try and find a classic MultiSample AA (MSAA x4, x8) and see if that helps. I find all the shader based techniques can look a little blurry.

(Just in general, I haven't tried this Geforce steaming thingo. :) )

A turn-based mod sounds pretty interesting. Is it well made?

Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty useless at tech stuff so the advice is welcome. I suspect its probably something to do with the quality of the stream though - I read somewhere that it might because I have a baby monitor near my laptop when I'm playing. I'll try a few things out and see if it improves.

Yeah the turn based mod is great - it fits into the game seamlessly. I understand you can turn it on and off whenever you want, so if you want some RTWP back its easy to change it. Its also easy to set up and I'm enjoying the combat more personally (although lots of folk here prefer the RTwP, which is fair enough).
You can find it here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/109

Going really old school for a change and playing Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge. It's a top down adventure title in the vein of the original Zelda, but a bit simpler.

Still occasionally getting eaten by zombies in RE2 remake, and I think GTA V has enough content to carry me for awhile, given my sporadic play times. Despite this, I bought a few more games to add to the PS4 back log.

Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty useless at tech stuff so the advice is welcome. I suspect its probably something to do with the quality of the stream though - I read somewhere that it might because I have a baby monitor near my laptop when I'm playing. I'll try a few things out and see if it improves.
Oh, weird! Is that because the baby monitor is supposedly interfering with your wireless signal? So, you think it's just dropping your stream quality down because your internet connection cannot keep up with the required download speed?

Get a wire! Plug that shit in! I'm sure wireless has come a long way since I last tried it 15 years ago. Raiding in wow on wireless and found myself with 40,000 ping and never went back. No wireless net, mouse or keyboard for me. Even my wireless controller is plugged in. :D

Yeah the turn based mod is great - it fits into the game seamlessly. I understand you can turn it on and off whenever you want, so if you want some RTWP back its easy to change it. Its also easy to set up and I'm enjoying the combat more personally (although lots of folk here prefer the RTwP, which is fair enough).
You can find it here:
https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/109

I notice that the mod has near 30,000 unique downloads which is almost double the amount of backers the new kickstarter has. They should totally do a turn-based mode stretch goal.

And, yes, each to their own, whatever, but I never liked the Pause aspect. Real-time I don't mind, but if you need to pause to issue everyone's orders then whats the point?

And just because I feel like carrying on, it's not really "fair enough". It's not fair to the old AD&D players or the tabletop players. I think it's just a minority of people who started RPGs with the RTwP system who actually want such a flawed system.

AD&D games were turn-based and the massive hype I had for Baldurs Gate was because I wanted more AD&D games. In the end, for me, the RTWP system worked against the game because instead of replaying with different companions and seeing more questlines, etc, I started playing solo runs so I wouldn't have to pause!

Sure, it's quicker to fight though the trash with RT(wP) but maybe a simple auto-resolve combat would be quicker still?

Anyway, I'll give that mod a look some time!

And, yes, each to their own, whatever, but I never liked the Pause aspect. Real-time I don't mind, but if you need to pause to issue everyone's orders then whats the point?

And just because I feel like carrying on, it's not really "fair enough". It's not fair to the old AD&D players or the tabletop players. I think it's just a minority of people who started RPGs with the RTwP system who actually want such a flawed system.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's flawed system. There's nothing wrong with RTwP.

Both BG series and Pathfinder: Kingmaker are cRPG, not tabletop - totally different gameplay.

Pretty much - are you playing on impossible which is quite possible ?

I started playing Kings bounty legend.
I had started it ages ago and never finished.

I think it'll be a fun game to play and I'm playing as a mage this time.

I'm expecting be weak early on and destroy everything in the later game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

greedfall

reached the island, not very impressed so far, melee combat seems total crap

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's flawed system. There's nothing wrong with RTwP.

Both BG series and Pathfinder: Kingmaker are cRPG, not tabletop - totally different gameplay.
Real Time, by itself, does not function adequately.

The pause and AI auto-play scripts are remedies that directly deal with the issue of real-time being inadequate for full party control.

Whether you're forced into using pause or auto-play scripts they're both there to deal with the very obvious issue that you cannot actually control 6+ characters in real time. It's just not possible. Hence, at it's foundation, RT is a flawed system.

I think the AI auto-play scripts seen in games like Kingmaker are superior to Pause because they keep the game going. So, you get games like Dragon Age: Inquisition or Final Fantasy 15, etc, where you just control the selected character, as you would in an MMO or Action game, while the rest of the party is on auto-play.

The next method would be an online cRPG, like Baldurs Gate 2, which is actually quite close to tabletop in that everyone controls their own character and therefore there would be little reason to pause outside bio-breaks and no need for AI scripts! This is clearly the best method for real-time RPG!

If you go one step further and you're directly controlling ZERO characters, then you're playing an IDLE game and not a cRPG at all!

I like real-time games; They're most of what I play. But I also find they are less tactical and more action oriented - which pause works against! I don't like pause. It's like a Time-stop spell which is a level 9 spell for a reason. And I'd rather have real players control my other party members than AI scripts.

I do find things in Turn Based systems annoying. Such as animation speed slowing down the turns. If I had to pick between RTwP and TB with slow animations, (eg. 5 seconds to cast a Magic Missile) I'd go with the RTwP because it's quicker and I hate waiting. Also, turn-based is even slower in multi-player so it wouldn't be my choice there, either.

I would ultimately prefer real-time with a full multiplayer party and consequentially very little need to pause and no need at all for auto-play. Baldurs Gate had multiplayer. Kingmaker did not. Where's the stretch goal for multiplayer?! I'm pretty much infuriated that they're doing another crowd funding campaign and STILL not adding multiplayer. Look at all those pages of rubbish rewards. Tiers of crap. Bullshit stretch goals. 4,000,000 more rubles for Skald class, LOL! It's a load of shit. It's pretty much just a pre-order campaign for another stand-alone DLC. This game was always going to be made and everything in the kickstarter was always going to be in. That's just the truth.

Also, if you look at the online lobby for the BG:EE games you'll find heaps of people are still playing these classics online with their friends! There is definitely a demand for multiplayer. There is a demand for turn-based. And what are we kickstarting? Dismemberment? What a fucking joke!

(TL DR) I don't want turn-based. I want multi-player! Pausing ruins the flow of the game and if AI is going to control half the party then it's hardly a party based RPG. Just a single-player MMO.

However, if we're going to pretend like we're in the 80s again and no one has a fucking modem then why not go all the way and give us a more nostalgic and tactical turn-based game like playing Pool of Radiance as a kid? At least the option to? If a modder can do it then how many millions more fucking rubles do you want to hire modders to fix the game?!?

Last edited:
I don't want turn-based. I want multi-player!

The REAL TL DR is above - and can simply be replaced by ‘I WANT’.

Different people want different things. I like FPS and RPG and strategy and so on; I like real-time, RTwP, turn-based and so on. But I honestly don’t care AT ALL about multiplayer - and assuming that I SHOULD or that I am somehow wrong or outdated is ... um, your opinion, but certainly not a fact.

Again, different people want different things - if you want a thread to discuss what you do or do not like for gaming systems, make one. But please stop polluting this thread.

The REAL TL DR is above - and can simply be replaced by ‘I WANT’.

Different people want different things. I like FPS and RPG and strategy and so on; I like real-time, RTwP, turn-based and so on. But I honestly don’t care AT ALL about multiplayer - and assuming that I SHOULD or that I am somehow wrong or outdated is … um, your opinion, but certainly not a fact.

Again, different people want different things - if you want a thread to discuss what you do or do not like for gaming systems, make one. But please stop polluting this thread.
That's quite an offensive reply, baby yoda.

If you're only going to read the TL;DR then don't bother polluting the thread with a pointless reply. There's ample points for quality RPG related discussion in my post and none in yours.

A WANT is literally all you're saying, yourself?

That was a TLDR for purpleblob who needed context for what I was saying, as it appeared she missed the point. Like you do. Maybe it should have gone at the start. I don't know. The whole thing could be better written. There's a lot of ideas there. Some need prior knowedge of other ideas, etc, etc.

It's really more about dealing with the "remedies", as I put it, that are required to make a real-time, party-based system playable.

If you need to pause too much it ruins the RTwP flow.

If AI takes over control too much it ruins the tactics and can end up just an idle game once you're down to controlling zero PC.

Multiplayer actually replaces both the "remedies" that are required for RTwP to work, yet it's not something Owlcat has as a stretch goal?

Whatever you like, you can agree that it would be quite possible to have EVERYTHING included. Turn-based, Real-time, Multi-player. Baldurs Gate tried to have all these things, even if the "auto-pause" was a sorry substitution for a proper turn-based mode.

But, we need to remember that Black Isle was formed from a bunch of drop-out medical students - not expert programmers. They did a great job and a modern developer with Unity engine should have no trouble. The netcode is already done! An unpaid modder can whip up turn-based in his spare time.

We all deserve what we want!

Last edited:
If you're only going to read the TL;DR then don't bother polluting the thread with a pointless reply.

Blah blah blah.

This thread is called “What Games are you playing now?” And NOT “let’s discuss gameplay mechanic systems”. That was my main point - please get back on topic. You can make a new thread if you want but I really don’t care ... just STFU about this crap in this thread!

Diablo III (Nintendo Switch) - got in a few hours of this when I first grabbed it but got off track as Divinity Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 all hit the Switch in the fall, so just jumped back in ... it is good solid hack & slash fun with plenty of questing, things to collect and so on.

Blah blah blah.

This thread is called “What Games are you playing now?” And NOT “let’s discuss gameplay mechanic systems”. That was my main point - please get back on topic. You can make a new thread if you want but I really don’t care … just STFU about this crap in this thread!

Diablo III (Nintendo Switch) - got in a few hours of this when I first grabbed it but got off track as Divinity Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 all hit the Switch in the fall, so just jumped back in … it is good solid hack & slash fun with plenty of questing, things to collect and so on.
Blah blah blah, he says!

Well, if you'd been pay attention, you'd realise I was talking to Pladio about the turn-based mod for Kingmaker he's been playing. I do believe discussion is allowed and even encouraged in this thread? There's countless examples verifying this.

There was no need for purpleblob to come charging in to Kingmakers defense.(The post you +1 liked?? Any need for that??) I only replied to her out of courtesy and I tried to write the best reply for her that I could covering all aspects I could think of. I put a lot of time and thought into that reply for her.

And now you come along and call it pollution, give me "blah blah blah" before talking about playing Diablo on Switch?

Do you really think you're behaving acceptably? Why don't you go back to your Nintendo games and let the adults continue their friendly discussion without your abuse?

I agree with SirJames on the intrinsic definicency of real-time and remedies, and with turn-based. This is how I feel about both of these modes (and I play both).

I also agree with him on the stretch goals for the new pathfinder kickstarter, which to me feel incremental stuff that they would have included in the new base game to set it apart from kingmaker, but used this way to keep the kickstarter campaign going (nothing wrong with that).

On multiplayer, I don't have a saying as I have not experienced it before.

Finally got a chance to play Total War - Three Kingdoms. I'm really enjoying the new historical setting, and look forward to playing the game set in the Trojan War this year.

Might replay the new Wolfenstein games next.

Not sure if you played ‘Youngblood’, but if not I would recommend skipping it, as it is not up to the standard of the other three.
Yeah I heard a lot of negative opinions about that game. Mostly because of how Co-Op affected the gameplay compared to the other games. Though its a spin-off.

Back
Top Bottom