Obsidian Entertainment - Cancelled: Project North Carolina - Layoffs

I think FO3 is significantly better overall, yeah.
I meant 10 points. As FO3 got scores of 94 and 93 and New Vegas got around 82-84. I know some people consider FO3 better, but I think more people consider New Vegas better. I wonder if people think FO3 was that much better than New Vegas.

While NV is leagues ahead of fo3 as an rpg, fo3 had better visuals, exploration and combat setpieces, important stuff for a hiking simulator.

Well Obsidian did and still does make good rpg's. The bugs are what makes everyone rate there games unfairly. Here's hoping there making something else besides the south park rpg as I'm not interested in it.

Yeahs but the bugs in Obsidian's RPGs are way overblown, while other developpers like Bethesda gets a free pass.

Skyrim was a bad, and perhaps even worst than anything Obsidian has ever released in term of bugs, and it wasn't brought up in any reviews.

People and reviewers wants to bring the bug issue in Obsidian's games ? Fine. But don't turn a blind eye to what other developpers come up with.

-Sergorn

Yeahs but the bugs in Obsidian's RPGs are way overblown, while other developpers like Bethesda gets a free pass.

Skyrim was a bad, and perhaps even worst than anything Obsidian has ever released in term of bugs, and it wasn't brought up in any reviews.

People and reviewers wants to bring the bug issue in Obsidian's games ? Fine. But don't turn a blind eye to what other developpers come up with.

-Sergorn

I never said I thought are hold there games as the buggiest ever made just that is there image. Ask people what there opinion about Obsidian's and its always the bugs discussion.

Hell fallout NV still crash's occasionally but that's due to the engine not the bugs. Gamebryo is a flawed engine. I'm also apparently one of the few who enjoyed Alpha Protocol.

Obsidian games are always buggy and technically sloppy. With the notable exception of Dungeon Siege 3.

I'll give credit where it's due, though. They have great writers, quest designers, and they're better at mechanics than Bethesda.

They do resemble Troika - though I personally think Troika had far more talent in terms of overall game design.

I know it's popular to give the favorite underdog a pass - or be forgetful about their flaws - but claiming their games aren't particularly buggy is downright delusional.

FO:NV - to this day, with all the latest patches and DLC, is FULL of landscape mesh issues, insane LOD "z-fighting" - and just a really sloppy job of polish. This happens on Xbox 360 and PS3 as well, because I tested for it when trying to figure out which version to get for myself. I think it's amazing they get so much slack around here, because they suck majorly at certain things.

Different priorities and levels of tolerance, perhaps?

Visual glitches, bugs that don't stop me from playing, bad UIs and inventories just do not factor that much to my enjoyment i.e and I do not often find it worthy to dwell too much on them, if the game has in abundance all those very important traits you mentioned…

That is why Developers like Troika feature among my all time favorites and even the train wreck (on release) Gothic 3 is a game that I have replayed upwards of 3 times when it came in a playable state(*)…

That is not to say that its Ok to be fanboy blind to those flaws (I was quite vocal and pissed with PB on that release)… Waving them around as a flag and contrasting polish as a mark of quality and excellence is equally off imo…

For most people, I believe (myself included), its not about giving a favorite underdog a pass (you will not hear me bellyaching about technical problems in Bethesda's games either) but having a particular problem with the amount of double standards and downright misrepresentation that comes from the "professionals" of gaming journalism, when reviewing a High profile Dev/Publisher game vs the aforementioned underdog…

(*The most serious and immersion breaking/fun ruining ones should be fixed eventually of course, and it kinda sucks if the developer does not do it themselves and in a reasonable amount of time…)

Last edited:
Different priorities and levels of tolerance, perhaps?

Visual glitches, bugs that don't stop me from playing, bad UIs and inventories just do not factor that much to my enjoyment i.e and I do not often find it worthy to dwell too much on them, if the game has in abundance all those very important traits you mentioned…

That is why Developers like Troika feature among my all time favorites and even the train wreck (on release) Gothic 3 is a game that I have replayed upwards of 3 times when it came in a playable state(*)…

That is not to say that its Ok to be fanboy blind to those flaws (I was quite vocal and pissed with PB on that release)… Waving them around as a flag and contradicting polish as a mark of quality and excellence is equally off imo…

For most people, I believe (myself included), its not about giving a favorite underdog a pass (you will not hear me bellyaching about technical problems in Bethesda's games either) but having a particular problem with the amount of double standards and downright misrepresentation that comes from the "professionals" of gaming journalism, when reviewing a High profile Dev/Publisher game vs the aforementioned underdog…

(*The most serious and immersion breaking/fun ruining ones should be fixed eventually of course, and it kinda sucks if the developer does not do it themselves and in a reasonable amount of time…)

All that I can agree with, but that's because you're a reasonable person ;)

Thank you my good Sir.. I have never been called that before!

Must be the flu I am coming down with ;)

Back
Top Bottom