The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

7 of 9 were singles:
* 1982: "The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney)
* 1983: "Billie Jean"
* 1983: "Beat It"
* 1983: "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
* 1983: "Human Nature"
* 1983: "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"
* 1984: "Thriller"
Did a little digging just for fun. Turns out that 2 other albums had 7 top 10 singles: Springsteen's "Born in the USA" and Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation". Of course, since Janet and Michael are the same person (when was the last time you saw them both at the same time???), only Bruce really counts.

And thus ends the "useless information" portion of our discussion today. ;)

I think Billie Jean was with Mr. McCartney, no ?

I think Billie Jean was with Mr. McCartney, no ?
No. Paul and Michael did another duet for Paul's album ("Say Say Say"), but "Billie Jean" is all Mikey.

High Violets "To Where You Are" cd for me.

Since my boss discovered Youtube, he forces us to listen to Deep Purple all the time: Child in Time.
I need earplugs NOW.

A Tale of God's Will by Terence Blanchard - Blanchard is from New Orleans and this is his impassioned song cycle about the tragedy there. Really powerful stuff and a great listen. I missed his other two Blue Note releases, seems time to go back and fill in my collection a bit ...

Agalloch - Not unlike the waves.

"Agalloch is an American experimental dark metal band formed in 1996 in Portland, Oregon."

http://www.agalloch.org/ <-- Once you enter the homepage this song starts playing.

Daysleepers: The Soft Attack EP

Proving that shoegaze is not dead...

@dte: read this today and it made me think of you--now we finally know the true purpose of country music:

The old Argus radio blasted country music from the corner speaker, and the tones of the pedal steel guitar reverbererated off the expansive curved roof of the hangar. Country music had played constantly since 1982 when Billy discovered it kept the pigeons from roosting in the rafters and shitting on the planes. He had tried classical music and rock n roll, but the birds seemed to enjoy both. There was something about country music that made them stay airborne

--Where is Joe Merchant, by Jimmy Buffett

That Agalloch was pretty cool, kinda trippy stuff. Long intros rule. My ideal song has like 3 minutes of music before a note is sung!

I love long songs. "A Change of Seasons" by Dream Theater or "Blackwater Park" by Opeth or "Still Remains" by Fates Warning. (for example)

But back to agalloch. That song is from their new album "Ashes against the grain" - it is very good - but the previous album "The Mantle" is a masterpiece, the highpoints include "In the shadow of our pale companion" (15min song) and "You were but a ghost in my arms" (10min song). Exellent songs, Excellent album, Excellent artist.

Check it out.

A Tale of God's Will by Terence Blanchard - Blanchard is from New Orleans and this is his impassioned song cycle about the tragedy there. Really powerful stuff and a great listen. I missed his other two Blue Note releases, seems time to go back and fill in my collection a bit ...

Good to hear you like it. I was interested in grabbing this disc myself. I think his Jazz in Film disc is the best he has done so far. Wandering Moon and Flow are two of his other cds I listen to a lot. Also saw him perform live shortly after Wandering Moon was released. Was a great performance.

Love listening to Bill Evans also. Letter to Evan is one of my favorites by him. Then again, I tend to listen to his later stuff more than his earlier stuff.

Bill Evans & Jim Hall - Undercurrent - wonderful piano and guitar duets, whose serenity belies passion and innovation at the core of this momentous pairing.

If you like Jim Hall and/or Pat Metheny I recommend giving this a try - Jim Hall & Pat Metheny. It's a really good jazz cd with these two playing nothing but duets on acoustic guitar. And if you are looking to combine guitar and piano you can't go wrong with the Metheny & Mehldau cds.

If you like Jim Hall and/or Pat Metheny I recommend giving this a try - Jim Hall & Pat Metheny. It's a really good jazz cd with these two playing nothing but duets on acoustic guitar. And if you are looking to combine guitar and piano you can't go wrong with the Metheny & Mehldau cds.

I have both the Metheny / Meldau recordings and also the Hall / Metheny CD. Some really good stuff.

I plan to check out other Blanchard stuff, but right now between other CD's and games I need to take a break ;) My last Terence Blanchard CD was from the Blanchard & Harrison group.

I've been listening to the Melvins (A) Senile Animal quite a bit. Heavy. I went for a long walk by the river last weekend and on the way back I listened to a couple of Man or Astroman? albums. I love that band.

Back
Top Bottom