Solasta - Ranger Class Stretch Goal

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Ranger class is the news stretch goal for the Solasta Kickstarter and the party banter stretch goal has been reached.

Let's start this final week with some good news. As of a few moments ago, Stretch Goal #2 - Party Banter - has now been reached!

Part of the fun of Tabletop RPGs is the "friendly" and "wholesome" remarks from your companions when you roll the dice - even more so when you fail repeatedly. It just wouldn't have the same charm without these jabs and sarcastic comments now, would it?

Well, worry not - you will now be able to experience this in Solasta: Crown of the Magister as well! The kind Cleric that encourages you to do better next time, the wholesome Paladin who tells you not to give up... Or the Rogue who simply laughs at you and tell you how much you suck. It's always the Rogue. Why is it always the Rogue.

Stretch Goal #4 - New Class: Ranger

The polls were so close that we just couldn't leave the Ranger behind! If you haven't already, we've posted an Update with the Lore and Archetypes of the Ranger that you should read. They may not have animal companions in Solasta, but they are no less deadly! The archetypes are:

• Hunter (SRD) - Master of both Melee & Range combat, the Hunter is the supreme predator of the lands.
  • Marksman (Solasta) - Heir to ancient archery techniques, the Marksman is the deadliest ranged combatant of Solasta.
  • Shadow Tamer (Solasta) - Wanderer of the desolated Badlands, the Shadow Tamer walks where others fear to tread.
More information.

They're in their final three day run now, so the funding is picking up. They might make enough for the Ranger class. I've heard some negative things about the 5e Ranger class though.

They're in their final three day run now, so the funding is picking up. They might make enough for the Ranger class. I've heard some negative things about the 5e Ranger class though.

I see someone in the comments saying that the Ranger class is "broken" but they haven't elaborated on why they think so. I've not played 5e PnP but from reading the SRD wikis it doesn't seem so bad... They don't have the animal companions like 3.5e rangers but they get Hide in Plain sight at level 10 which 3.5e rangers didn't get until 17th level.

Anyway I think that goal will most likely be met and maybe even a few more.

A ranger without an animal companion just doesn't seem right...

A ranger in 5e with the spell Hunters Mark and the skill where you do extra damage on monsters that are hurt are the highest damage dealers early on. The group I'm with is only lvl 7 but the ranger still does the most consistent damage.

I've got a lvl 5 arcane archer with 2 levles of ranger. My arcane archer wasn't getting the job done so I'm taking at least 3 lvls of ranger if not more.

People seems to be upset with the favored enemy skill in 5e. It's kinda lack luster. They are not overpowered against giant class enemies like they were in AD&D. My 15th lvl ranger in AD&D was unstoppable against giant class foes. That was with Unearthed Arcana rules.

A ranger without an animal companion just doesn't seem right…

Agreed! Especially having played Kingmaker with the ranger and his (advanced template) animal companion - destruction personified (esp when buffed). There is a ranger archetype (beastmaster) that has a summonable animal companion (not entirely the same, it doesn't scale like PF ) , but it's not covered by the SRD, as far as I know. 5e seems pretty muted when it comes to damage dealing in general - everything has been scaled back to so you have low AC, low damage dealt, small increments in power etc (as far as I have seen). I briefly played a 5e monk…meh. As a game system, I vastly prefer PF or DnD 3.5, even with their power scaling issues - just seemed more satisfying. But 5e is still better than 4e, which I really loathed. I'm still looking forward way more to another PF game from Owlcats!

Back
Top Bottom