Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Sneak Peek

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The latest kickstarter update for Shadowrun: Hong Kong gives everyone a peek at the games development with Kevin Maloney here one of the HBS designers.

As we mentioned in a previous update, part of the fun of making a Kickstarted game project is sharing our process with you. Sometimes it will be a discussion of a game mechanic we're working on, sometimes a look at how art for the game is made, and sometimes (like today) we offer a glimpse into how a major part of the campaign is developed. In this update, Kevin will talk about the hub - your base of operations and a recurring location in the story.

Oh, and speaking of glimpses into our process - be sure to check back tomorrow to see a work-in-progress look at Gobbet's Collectible Miniature model!
More information.

Seeing the latest numbers I think the campaign will finish at about $800k - $1000k.

Seeing the latest numbers I think the campaign will finish at about $800k - $1000k.
It's to early to say as most kickstarter games enter a slow period, and pick up the last week. I hope the game at least reaches a million to make the game better.:fingerscrossed:

They don't need 1.8 mil, since they already have the engine and updated tools. That must have eaten the largest part of the KS money during developing Shadowrun Returns.

It's to early to say as most kickstarter games enter a slow period, and pick up the last week. I hope the game at least reaches a million to make the game better.:fingerscrossed:
Right, but just compare it to the SR campaign data. On days 5-9 they had $40k+ each. SHK currently has ~$20k daily.

They don't need 1.8 mil, since they already have the engine and updated tools. That must have eaten the largest part of the KS money during developing Shadowrun Returns.
Of course, but more money = better/longer game. While I'm sure SHK would be a great game even if the campaign stopped with $600k, we can never have enough of that. ;)

But you forget they don't have physical reward for mid tiers. So while KS number might be lower, they will actually get more total money and made a good game.

I didn't forget this, I just guessed they'll finish at about $800k - $1000k. ;)

I didn't forget this, I just guessed they'll finish at about $800k - $1000k. ;)

Unless they misfire, I think they'll probably make this much (600K) during the mid-span and again during the final days as people jump on board at the last minute. I'm guessing they'll hit 1,500-2,000K. *shrug*

Yep. And I've heard that their exec. producer Mitch has said nearly 1/3 of their funds from the SRR KS ended up going towards fulfillment of the physical rewards…Manufacturing and shipping lots of limited run merchandise is pretty expensive.

Unless they misfire, I think they'll probably make this much (600K) during the mid-span and again during the final days as people jump on board at the last minute. I'm guessing they'll hit 1,500-2,000K. *shrug*
I really like to get proven wrong here.

They are getting about half the number of backers as the previous one did, so they are probably going to get about half the money too.

They are getting about half the number of backers as the previous one did, so they are probably going to get about half the money too.

Applying a little math here:

Shadowrun Returns received $1,836,447 from 36,276 backers after four weeks.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong received $590,053 from 15,388 backers after one week.

Half the backers would be 18,138, so they need 2,750 more to exceed that. I think they'll make it.

Note that their intake per backer is down from $50 to $38. Hopefully the lack of physical rewards makes up for that 24% drop.

Actually the license took about 1/3rd of what they got from kickstarter so along with the physical rewards was the biggest expense.

Back
Top Bottom