Raven's Cry - Available Now on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Raven's Cry has finally launched on time as was promised a few day back. You can now buy the game on Steam for a 10% discount with no end date listed yet.
"Raven's Cry" is a third person RPG-adventure game that combines fast-paced swordplay, thrilling naval battles, and free ranging explorations through undocumented islands and historical towns. A cadre of colourful cutthroats will cross your path on your travels, all with their own motivations and plans, but make sure to choose your crew with care!
Don't forget to read the preview from earlier this month.

More information.

@Fluent & @Joxer

you guys are already playing this game - is it worth to put it on the RPGWatch Steam Curation list?
(some Steam users seem to have technical problems, so maybe we should wait with a recommendation until the problems are fixed)

Another game which was rushed through the door it seems. I bought it last night because of my fond memories about Two Worlds games, but I'm going to wait for the problems to be fixed before playing.

Another game which was rushed through the door it seems. I bought it last night because of my fond memories about Two Worlds games, but I'm going to wait for the problems to be fixed before playing.

No surprises there. I'm more interested in gameplay though, and how the final game holds up (vs the preview copy Fluent played a while ago).

Actually the game was not rushed out the door, and has been in development for a few years already. The problem was the games first developer Octane Games.

Topware had to change developers midway through development just to get the project finished. It's actually a miracle Reality Pump even salvaged the game.

Link - http://www.insidetwoworlds.com/showthread.php?t=34168

TopWare Interactive announced at this year's gamescom in Cologne that the gritty Pirate Action Adventure "Raven's Cry" has been handed to Polish developer Reality Pump Studios. Well known for the Earth and Two Worlds series, Reality Pump brings a wealth of experience and dedication to the project, which is set for release at the end of the year.

The game has been delayed since it was first shown to the media last year, and after analysing the game's development, TopWare made the tough decision to reorganize the project. The core storyline and dark setting of the game will remain untouched, but additional features and a new open world will be implemented by the Polish team. In addition, Topware has kept a close eye on message boards and early feedback, and will be including a few interesting tweaks and features requested by pirate fans.

"Raven's Cry" is a mature third person action adventure title that takes players to the beautiful but deadly Caribbean islands in the 16th century. Besides its dark parable on revenge, Raven's Cry offers fierce, eclectic naval battles and a now free to explore open world as the main character Christopher Raven carves a bloody swath of terror on both land and sea, leaving no moral boundary uncrossed on his hunt for Captain Neville and his brutal band of pirates. An economic system includes gaining gold through looting enemy ships crippled in battle, in addition to piracy, smuggling and treasure hunting. Go straight for the jugular in the main quest, or take your time and tackle the plethora of side-quests as you earn gold to hire and maintain a crew to pilot your pirate vessel. Christopher will need every advantage he can get if he is going to get his revenge and find peace for his tortured soul.

Alexandra Constandache CEO at TopWare Interactive: "Raven's Cry has had our entire company excited from day one, and we can't wait for the finished product. Sadly, production hasn't moved forward in the way we wanted, so we had to make the tough decision to hand it over to the veterans at Reality Pump. Reality Pump has worked with us for twenty years on several games, including fan-favorite Two Worlds II. The experience the team gained while making the Two Worlds games has proven to be invaluable to their work on Raven's Cry. We are looking forward to releasing a game that is not only entertaining, but also more than the typical "hero who saves the world" tale. The positive feedback we received at this year's gamescom proved to us that we have made the right decision with this change, and to put it in Raven's Cry terms, we are excited to finally reach the port we've set sail for."
Also thanks to this game sacrilegium development has been put on hold.

Link - http://www.sacrilegium.com/en/index.html

@Fluent & @Joxer

you guys are already playing this game - is it worth to put it on the RPGWatch Steam Curation list?
(some Steam users seem to have technical problems, so maybe we should wait with a recommendation until the problems are fixed)

Wait some more, I'm just about to start it.

Tech. problems, yea…
Something got mixed up with game files on steam storage. Files were mixed up and downloads were incomplete. The story goes like this (feel free to skip the the bottom):

1. Standard version downloads 12.9 Gb, deluxe 2.2 Gb, WTF?!

2. Some people went to properties, selected preview version (not realizing it's preview version, they just tried to correct the download by randomly clicking options to see if any helps), which allowed them to download 6-7 Gb more. Others waited till it was discovered that 12.9 Gb will download if Steam client is restarted!

3. After that biggish data chunk, another 2Gb was waiting to be downloaded, but as scheduled update! Without it, the game was crashing. Instead of exiting the game and downloading it, some people were already playing to the point crashes killed the game completely to the point loading a saved game doesn't work and now they had to start a new game.

4. It was still not over. While #3 did it for standard version, deluxe bonus (OST, etc) wasn't there. Well, after a while it started downloading by itself. But also another smallish 500Mb part that fixed language problems.

5. About half an hour ago 1.6Mb update was applied. Probably a hotfix for something.

Workaround if someone has english subs and german VO regardless of language setting:

All following folders are located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Ravens Cry\" or any other directory depending where you installed Steam.

If you want to disable the voices just rename the folder "ger" in the "sounddata" folder.

If you want to disable the German subtitles just rename the file "language_ger.wd" located in the "WDFiles" subfolder.

With this you can also have English voiceovers and German subtiitles (just don't rename the language_ger.wd)

-

Now what does it all mean? Because of the mess with files on Steam, people forced the download of the preview version and started reporting bugs - in the preview version. Not realizing it's not a game.
What was unbelievable in the whole story, they refused to download the correct files although not just me pointed them out to restart steam, check scheduled downloads and verify data integrity.
In any case, initial technical problems that happened because of mixed files on Steam is supposed to be solved now.

I'll post some early impressions in a few hours.

Okay played for a few mins…

Who played Sea Dogs and it's clones (pirates of caribbean, age of pirates)?
It's like that one, only better looking.

I had no problems sailing and sinking a ship, UI (separate views) work exactly like there, cannons work the same, you choose what to shoot at first (since this was the story I sunk the ship otherwise I wouldn't shoot it's hull but would try to board and take it).

Ground fight seems a bit clunky, although it was more like odd tutorial press this now press that. Ah well… Won't say anything about that yet as it was, again, just a tutorial fight.

In the pub corner you can gamble. Tried that, upped my coins from 200 to 2000 easily. It's poker with dice, AI is stupid, it has 2 5s and 2 6s and rolls 5s instead of rolling one dice and beating me with full house (I had just one pair and is nearly impossible to get FH from there in the last roll). Oh and first bug is there, the opponent doesn't have the name but says something like PlayerName_#0. LOL
In any case, you can get a crapload of cash in this game by just gambling. :evilgrin:

Finally lipsync is bad or is designed for nonenglish language. I actually don't care about that. :D

I'm now off for a coffee. Will return with more "spoilers" later.

Also thanks to this game sacrilegium development has been put on hold.

Link - http://www.sacrilegium.com/en/index.html
I was not aware of Sacrilegium. It looks rather cool, and it definitely picked my interest. I really hope they start working again on it, despite Topware's financial problems.

Going OT for a quick moment, but can you please share when are you expecting to release the interview with Jehanne Rousseau from Spiders?

Yeah, same here.

In Raven's Cry, do we know what the 'original' language is? is it possible to have it in German with English subtitles?

It is possible, read my spoiler in one of previous posts you'll see how to shuffle files to get the result you want.

In Raven's Cry, do we know what the 'original' language is?
I've asked the very same question in Steam forums :
US English is the source language. The writers are from the States. And all actors performing the MoCap are from US and New Zealand. German is a translation.

Wow, this game is getting hammered for bugs, not to mention it has 3rd party drm in addition to Steam protection. What a cluster muck, too bad really, looks cool.

There is no 3rd party DRM.
The game DRM is Steamworks. Nothing else.

As for bugs, yea, saw a few. Irrelevant ones IMO. Like you can't climb a ledge. And well, why should you, the treasure on that island is not there but on another spot.
Nothing gamebreaking, VO lacking is a bit annoying but I don't care as there are subtitles there.
Oh and I dunno why the game crashes on some people, doesn't crash on me. Then again I said that some pople downloaded out of impatience the preview version and not the full game - they're the last ones who should hammer anything.

Also it seems some people thought this is Assassins Creed game.
They got something this is not repetitive Ubicrap and now they dunno how to play this.
And I… I love the game so far. Why?

Because something you kill, stays dead.

I don't think that Sacrilegium is an rpg and I hope they shelve it permanently and stick with rpgs.

I don't think that Sacrilegium is an rpg and I hope they shelve it permanently and stick with rpgs.
Never said it was as it's just another game the developer was working on. Also this may come as a shock to some members, but some of us play other games beside RPG's.:)

The game DRM is Steamworks. Nothing else.

As for bugs, yea, saw a few. Irrelevant ones IMO. Like you can't climb a ledge. And well, why should you, the treasure on that island is not there but on another spot.
Nothing gamebreaking, VO lacking is a bit annoying but I don't care as there are subtitles there.
Oh and I dunno why the game crashes on some people, doesn't crash on me. Then again I said that some pople downloaded out of impatience the preview version and not the full game - they're the last ones who should hammer anything.

Also it seems some people thought this is Assassins Creed game.
They got something this is not repetitive Ubicrap and now they dunno how to play this.
And I… I love the game so far. Why?

Because something you kill, stays dead.

It's funny how you don't see the bugs bad with this game, when you were all over skyrim like it was some monstrous buggy mess.....too funny.

The game DRM is Steamworks.
It says right there on the Steam page, just below Steamworks on the right hand side 'Third Party DRM', you must have overlooked it?

It's funny how you don't see the bugs bad with this game, when you were all over skyrim like it was some monstrous buggy mess…..too funny.

Sorry man, Skyrim bugs are one thing, bugs in this game… Didn't say there are none.
It's just I'm not annoyed by them like in Skyrim. Probably because there is no backwards flying dragon here. Yet.
Oh and… See a bug here lasts till I kill that bugridden mob. In Skyrim? I can't ever kill something that is bugged permanently. It revives all the time and is bugging my game without means to stop it for good.
It says right there on the Steam page, just below Steamworks on the right hand side 'Third Party DRM', you must have overlooked it?

I don't realy read something that was posted months ago, sorry.
I read only fresh stuff. Like this:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/281130/discussions/0/620703493332038969/
we decided to change the (if you still want to call it like this) DRM of the Raven's Cry Steam version.
Each game will receive a Serial Key and with this key you optional register the game. And activation or any other action is not required.
So no. Apart from Steamworks, there is no other DRM bundled with the game. No Origin, no uPlay or similar crap. If you want you can register on Topware site, but it's not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom