|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Rebecca Heineman - Dragon Wars 2 Kickstarter?

Default Rebecca Heineman - Dragon Wars 2 Kickstarter?

February 5th, 2015, 00:07
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Welcome at RPGWatch burgerbetty - I love the old Bard's Tale games and Dragon Wars. Challenging combat, great exploration, atmosphere and dungeon crawling -
I hope we see a game with these oldschool values again.

Good Luck with the Kickstarter!
Thank you! We are all busy working on the game!

burgerbecky

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 00:08
Wasn't the pitch for the last 90s Bard's Tale game more of a real- time action RPG? Hopefully this is a true blobber.

Honestly I trust them more to make a game that is a real one with no compromises and with very little "streamlining" and other "convenient" features. Dragon Wars was definitely extremely well designed and very underrated.
--
Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to come to repentance

Originally Posted by Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Humanity has risen!

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 00:08
After seeing Wasteland 2, I don't mind somebody else besides Fargo attempting a Dragon Wars reboot. Go Becky go.

W2 is a good game, but BT 2004 certainly didn't feel like a revival of the original. I'm not sure what BF will do with BT but am curios to see what BH can do with DW
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

February 5th, 2015, 00:15
Without knowing any details, this smells a bit "me-tooish".

Dragon Wars played more or less like Bard's Tale - and the timing of this announcement is slightly suspicious

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 00:22
Competition raises the effort and quality - I love to see a new good Bard's Tale 4 and a new good Dragon Wars 2.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 00:26
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Competition raises the effort and quality - I love to see a new good Bard's Tale 4 and a new good Dragon Wars 2.
I'd love to see good games of any sort - but I don't think there's a rule that effort and quality is raised because people take advantage of circumstances.

Let's hope you're right, though.

DArtagnan

February 5th, 2015, 02:44
Originally Posted by burgerbecky View Post
You are correct, InXile was not interested in my services.

FYI, I've had the design for a new RPG in the works for several years and I've been working with Interplay on bringing back the IP, Dragon Wars was my game (As was Bard's Tale III) so it's BACK!
You sound a bit bitter about the situation…at least thats what I git out of this.

Better to pitch your fame then go that route, as I would be interested.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 03:29
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post

Dragon Wars played more or less like Bard's Tale - and the timing of this announcement is slightly suspicious
They announced they wanted to make an old-school game like this nearly a year ago though.
--

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Humanity has risen!

SasqWatch

+1:

February 5th, 2015, 06:04
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post

If I remember right I think she tried to get Dragon Wars 2 made several years ago before Kickstarter but it fell through.

guenthar

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2015, 07:11
Good luck Rebecca. I will back this for sure. I spent countless hours on BT3 and DW on c64.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

February 5th, 2015, 08:20
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
You sound a bit bitter about the situation…at least thats what I git out of this.
Why do you think she sounds bitter? I think she just acknowledged that they didn't involve her which is just a fact and then she responded to criticism that maybe she doesn't know how to develop a game by indicating she does and lots of skill.

I never played Dragon Wars nor BT3 now that I think about it. I played BT1 and BT2 on the C64 as soon as they were released but then had a gap for several years before picking up gaming again. I think I might have a hard time replaying those now but a new one from an old school designer that isn't working for Fargo sounds ok to me.

figment

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 5th, 2015, 08:34
Dragon Wars holds up extremely well even today, I first played it three years ago. It was notable by the various paths you had to achieve your goals, right from the get go.
--

Humanity has risen!

SasqWatch

February 5th, 2015, 08:52
Originally Posted by Humanity has risen! View Post
Dragon Wars holds up extremely well even today, I first played it three years ago. It was notable by the various paths you had to achieve your goals, right from the get go.
May I quote you on that?

You're going to get that again!

burgerbecky

Traveler

+1:

February 5th, 2015, 13:11
This sounds very interesting it is also good to see developers hanging out here.

The questions is, what engine would be used, is there a team in place and so on ?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 14:03
Any competition is good competition.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 5th, 2015, 14:42
I don't think it's particularly wise to encourage an us vs them mentality here. It's not really competition if fans support both games and chances are, if you're a true bard's tale fan, you will do just that. I know I will.

In any case, it truly is a humbling pleasure to have Rebecca Heineman here on the 'Watch forums and I'd like to echo HiddenX's sentiment in extending a personal welcome.

Also, you'll have to pardon my awkward nerdy gushiness whilst I acknowledge the fact that you are partially responsible for some of my most treasured RPG memories. (Thank you for BT3!) Best wishes with your project and I hope all of the fans get on board to help make it happen.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

February 5th, 2015, 21:53
Dragon Wars was the superior game back then… let's see if you can repeat history

Sacred_Path

February 5th, 2015, 22:06
Originally Posted by burgerbecky View Post
What made you think this? I was the one who created the game engine, main design and led both the Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars projects. I was the heart and soul of these games.
Hello Burger,

first I like to tell you how much I adore your work. The Cover of my C64 copy of BT3 was a worshipping object of my youth.

The above comment just tried to point out that it was you, but technically not "she", but your former "he" that created these games AFAIK.

No offence meant, just a comment on pc.
--
blackcanopus:
Steam is out of question. It's not convenient, it's not easy to use, it's not simple and fast. It's terrible.
"Where STEAM fails, the PHOENIX rises"

Sir_Brennus

Planeswalker
Original Sin 2 Donor

February 5th, 2015, 22:20
Best of luck, Rebecca. If you need someone to preview the game later in development, and possibly write some article here for the 'Watch, feel free to message me and let me know! I'd be more than happy to do it.

Deleted User

February 5th, 2015, 22:59
There could be some competition for funding right now, what with Underworld Ascendant and Shadowrun: Hong Kong going strong. Not sure what impact that will have.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Rebecca Heineman - Dragon Wars 2 Kickstarter?