Divinity: Original Sin II - Welcome to the Undead

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Larian have updated their Kickstarter page for Divinity Original Sin 2 with the latest novelty in the game: The Undead.

The dead are finally here! You can customize your Undead in the character selection screen. You can give yours a beard, some cool jewels or even change the color of their bones. Which is cool, but also kind of weird. Just the way we like things! You can play an Undead of any race or gender your heart desires. Will you be an Undead Lizard? Undead Dwarf? Dare we say, an Undead Elf? It’s all up to you!

In addition to their good looks, the Undead have some very unique game mechanics in the world of DOS2. For example, they have the skill “Play Dead” in which they can pretend to be a corpse - a great way to get out of combat or avoid attention from patrolling guards. We can’t take all the credit for that one: the skill was inspired by community suggestions! Another racial ability they have is that they don’t need lockpicks to pick locks. They just use ye olde bones!

The Undead also heal via poison and are poisoned by healing potions. So, while your Undead can stroll through poison fog, they’re going to have a devil of a time fighting an AI smart enough to throw healing at it. (Sorry again about unleashing AI 2.0 on you guys because it is TOTALLY smart enough to do this.) You can also use the Zaikk’s Talon, a unique item found in the Hollow Marshes, to turn health potions into poison. Which is rude but hey, do what you like!

A very important thing to remember while playing an Undead is that you cannot just traipse about with your bony face free to the world. You’re a monster. A hideous, frightening monster! So cover your face. Or, consider ripping the face off of a nearby corpse to disguise yourself as someone of that race! The Mask of the Shapeshifter will allow you to take on the appearance of any mortal race you would like.

For example, you can shift to a Dwarf for better prices from a Dwarven merchant, or shift to an Elf to dine on a corpse and learn their memories with the Elven racial ability Corpse Eater. Multiple masks can be made, and they can even be used by other living characters to disguise themselves as other races, allowing them to approach situations in new ways.
More information.

I have to agree with the poster above… I wasn't orginally very thrilled of playing the undead race since I thought it would be more or less a visual gimmick with minor gameplay adjustments, but seeing how it actually changes the entire experience… And those undeads look freaking awesome too, so there is that as well. :) Maybe not my first character, but when I'm doing a replay, perhaps I'll be an undead. :)

Too cool. An undead lizard is calling me. And I don't generally go in for these things, but that is a real collector's edition. Larian has some real style. And some pretty girls in the office, too. :)

Too cool. An undead lizard is calling me. And I don't generally go in for these things, but that is a real collector's edition. Larian has some real style. And some pretty girls in the office, too. :)

Indeed, i am even willing to give up my job to work here as a coffee / donuts dude.

Maybe not my first character…
Chicken. :p

Of course my first main will be undead! Undead what exactly, who cares, it'll be fun.

The collector's edition looks nice, but its a shame they didn't go all out, and make an old school thick game manual, like the classics such as Baldur's Gate had in the past…I really miss those big-ass, comprehensive manuals for games these days. That would have been perfect, and gone very well with the lorebook and other stuff they showed. Swen was really selling that collector's edition, I noticed! lol

One thing I'm wondering is regarding the 6 companions. I'm confused if the gender and classes of those companions is fixed, or is also available to be chosen by the player. The way they refer to some of these companions, like the undead guy, as "he" makes me think the companions already have their genders predetermined. I'm pretty sure the class of the companions can be changed, and is not pre-set, but not 100% sure of that either.

Companions without origin story you can choose gender, with you cannot.

ok, cool, thanks.

I went to the official website and read the origin stories, wow, they are making the game a lot darker. Almost all the origin stories seem to have themes of revenge, or assassination, or power. I like it. All of the stories seem rather interesting. Really like where Larian is going with these types of black-tinged stories with a grim edge.

I can see replaying this game at least twice, because it looks as if you only get to use 3 origin characters during one play-through, which leaves 3 different ones for a replay. It said the party size is 4 characters, so that final slot must be filled by a "henchmen", I guess.

A shame they don't have a package with just the books and manual. I would quite like those. The rest I would put out with the recycling. :p

Female skeletons with boobs. Yeah, sure…

What? Female undead in the vid wear breastplates and clothes made for females with a SPACE for boobs.

What? Female undead in the vid wear breastplates and clothes made for females with a SPACE for boobs.

Yepp. Unless there's severe calcification (which, depending on the cause may be responsible for reaching the dead/undead state), boobs are considered soft tissue.

pibbur who is hopes said undeads don't wear bikinis.

Female skeletons with boobs. Yeah, sure…

I like that T-shirt.
Not many people can see the difference in the width of the pelvis in a game to differentiate between a male and female, so something more evident to differentiate the two is more than welcome :)

Well, the default solution would be to have armors covering “ boobs“ and private parts only. :|

So, how does this CE compare to the CE from the KS (from the $125 tier)? That one had a dwarven ale mug and such in it…

EDIT: Argh, looking at the comments from the KS update I suppose this is the same CE. Darnit, while the statue is neat, what I really pledged for was the dwarven ale mug, which is, y'know, actually useable as compared to a statue you set on a shelf and forget about. So, kinda disappointed. :-/

So, how does this CE compare to the CE from the KS (from the $125 tier)? That one had a dwarven ale mug and such in it…

EDIT: Argh, looking at the comments from the KS update I suppose this is the same CE. Darnit, while the statue is neat, what I really pledged for was the dwarven ale mug, which is, y'know, actually useable as compared to a statue you set on a shelf and forget about. So, kinda disappointed. :-/

The statue actually gather dust you know. It does something…

Recorded twitch stream Larian did yesterday (reveal the Undead and Q&A on the game).

edit: contains spoilers for the start of the game, aka what is in the early access version.

edit 2: Some of the Q&A answers are available on neogaf for people who are avoiding spoilers.

Last edited:
What? Female undead in the vid wear breastplates and clothes made for females with a SPACE for humongous fantasy boobs.

Fixed it for you. :p In reality, for the living the armor would smoosh that soft tissue and you wouldn't get much protrusion anyway. But they could at least portray the female skeletors as somewhat flat chested.

Back
Top Bottom