Overlord - PC Demo Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
After giving the X360 version a head start, the PC demo for Triumph's Overlord has been released. Here's a list of mirrors courtesy of Blue's:
The PC demo for Overlord is now available, offering the promised sample of Triumph Studios’ upcoming action/adventure that bestows you with your own army of minions. The demo is a 1.06 GB download, which is available on the Overlord Website, and mirrored on ActionTrip, FanGaming, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, Gameguru Mania, GamesFire, and Internode Games Network.
More information.

I just finished up the demo a few mins ago. Ran pretty good, looked really good, sounded fairly good on my 3.4ghz 2GB ram 7600GT. The game is alt-tab friendly too, which is always a plus in my book.
What perterbed me a little bit about the sound tho is that it's one of those games where you cant adjust the sound in-game using audio controls on a keyboard. I could physically turn the the knob on the speakers and system itself, but that's cranked up almost full anyway, as I do my audio from my keyboard, so that sucked for lack of a better term atm.

You summon up some minions, and run around sending them almost like a ranged weapon at things. But you knew that already. The terrain in the game is downright beautiful, I spent some time off the beaten path just looking at things and seeing where I could go. Which isnt very far, youre given some, but arent given that much roaming space off aformentioned beaten path.

I even found some water to go cruise around in, but sadly my minions' unfaltering loyalty was called into question already, as they would not follow me in. They seem to have some aversion to water, prolly something to do with being born of fire or something.

My gripe of any substance is the lack of a map, I'm a map-watcher. On the less significant front, there's like zero blood and carnage. Normally the no blood thing is no big deal, but for the chaotic evil thing, I want the red stuff and lots of it. I want my minions leaving bloody footprints after a kill.

I like it, prolly pick it up as soon as I determine whether I'm gonn take the 360 plunge or not. You know that those bastards want you to buy a seperate cooler to put on the thing when you buy it?? Goddamn, talk about nickel and diming you to death. I threw a fit when he said that the thing might overheat and suffer damage without that cooler. What's next, we have to pay extra for the actual drive to play discs in fer crissake??

I have a fx 5700, I get a flickering screen (just like the pc is out and your monitor on)/ Is there a way I can try the demo without buying a new ghraphic card?

If there is more to the game than roaming an area and collecting items to rebuild a tower the demo does not give any indication of that. The demo does not even give any indication of rebuilding a tower. Very poor first impression.

how far does the demo go? does it go further than the ,ovie released a couple of days ago? and how about ,y graphic card?

I have a 7600 GS. I still use an AGP board. You will need to upgrade your card. 5900 is the lowest recommended card for Overlord and that is pushing it.

The demo does not go far at all. If you subtract the cutscenes and tutorial dialogue, about 10 minutes of game play.

I tried the demo on my 6800GT card with 2Gb RAM and an 3500+ AMD CPU and it was close to being a slide show in 1280x1024 with details on high.

I know I need to upgrade my rig but compared to the very smooth Xbox360 demo, there is no doubt which version I'll be getting if I don't get around to upgrading before the game comes out.

Demo was decent but gameplay seems very simplistic and the demo level was tightly linear. If that's what the whole game is like, then it will probably be good, but not great. It plays like a squad-based shooter like Star Wars: Republic Commando, except without you actually doing any shooting. Since the game is designed around the limitations of a console controller, it doesn't take into account point-and-click mechanics and that makes it tough to point at anything that's far away from you.

I tried the demo on my 6800GT card with 2Gb RAM and an 3500+ AMD CPU and it was close to being a slide show in 1280x1024 with details on high.
You didn't really think this would work, did ya? :D

Tried it on a e6200 and X1950Pro on 1280x1024, high details and 2xAA. Works fine, although I had a lot programs running in the background.
I liked the demo. :)

I played it too. Looks and sounds pretty, the VO's are well done as is the dialog (for once they don't sound like bored actors reading a bad script), and the gameplay mechanic seems fun.

What I'm not so sure about is how *evil* the game is actually going to be. The demo quest has you... (wait for it) ...rescuing slaves. How evil is that? Not very, if you ask me. I hope it'll get a bit more evil over time so it's not just a change of clothes for the hero.

The game is rated 'T'. So don't think of burning the whole world to ashes and raping some young ladys. You're not a nice guy, but you're also not a psychopathic killer. You will be able to pillage villages (again and again, if you want to) and kill innocent people. But I think it's mainly meant to be funny.

... is also currently being discussed in the Age of Wonders forums ... : Discussion

(Just as a kind of advertisement, since AoW is Triumph Studios' first work. ;) )

I wish that they were making another Age of Wonders game instead. But this game still looks pretty good.

What I'm not so sure about is how *evil* the game is actually going to be. The demo quest has you... (wait for it) ...rescuing slaves. How evil is that? Not very, if you ask me. I hope it'll get a bit more evil over time so it's not just a change of clothes for the hero.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The "heroes" that you will face are also supposedly corrupted heroes, so they aren't really good anymore and they deserve their comuppance. If you're going to say the game is evil then let me be really evil damimt!

Oh, it's clear that it's meant to be funny (and in fact the demo *was* funny, in places anyway). Come to think of it, sacrificing your minions for health and mana does count as evil, and it was clearly funny too.

I just thought that a "liberate the slaves" quest was a bit unimaginative and, well, not evil.

Back
Top Bottom