KotOR - New Game in the Works? (Rumour)

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamer A new Star Wars: Kotor could be in development. It is just a rumour at this stage however.

Here's a rumor, courtesy of industry insider guy Liam Robertson, that BioWare Austin, which was originally created to develop the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO, is now in the early stages of work on a new Knights of the Old Republic game. Robertson revealed the info, based on his anonymous sources, as part of his Patreon-exclusive podcast last week, the good bits of which were then shared with the rest of us by The Star Wars Game Outpost.

“I’ve learned now that [BioWare Austin is] pretty much now exclusively working on Star Wars games and they’re going to be doing that for the indefinite future,” he said. “What they’re currently working on right now—and I have this on good authority—is a sort of remake/revival of Knights of the Old Republic. I don’t know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now.”

The game apparently began as a remake of KOTOR but has now evolved into its own thing, although what exactly that "thing" will ultimately be isn't nailed down yet. Roberston described the project as "sort of like wiping the slate clean," in order to embrace the new Star Wars canon.
[...]
More information.

Ooo, interesting rumor. I'll have to keep my hopes in check for now though, given that it's coming from EA.

As much as I love Star Wars, it's going to be milked to death over the next decade. The mouse has already told us to expect rapid-fire spinoff movies. Granted, Rogue One was pretty amazing, but I can't believe they'll all go that well. This Han Solo spinoff already scares the hell out of me…

That said, games will certainly follow but I'd be surprised if BioWare would be so ready to dive back in after the Old Republic debacle.

Old Republic debacle? That game is still going, isn't it?

KotOR 1 and 2 redone with new graphics would be nice. Tweaking it so the mid/late game is as hard as the early game would be good, too, but the vast majority of RPGs need that treatment.

It's apparently unfounded (Neogaf closed the thread about this saying the guy was unreliable).

BioWare Austin has always been "pretty much exclusively" working on Star Wars (the Old Republic) since the studio was created (it was always the largest team there) and that game is a follow up to KoTOR (regardless if people like or not what they did with it). It's also still kicking and getting new content this week…

Saying that, BioWare Austin does have people working on a new game since last summer (probably still in pre-production) that isn't a SWTOR expansion nor any of the 3 other franchises (DA, SecretIP and ME), but I doubt Disney is going to ignore their "only set in the movies era period is allowed" rule just for BioWare…

Old Republic debacle? That game is still going, isn't it?

Considering what they spent to make it, the overall expectations and what was ultimately delivered... it was very much a debacle. It is still going, primarily because they dropped the subscription and went to free play. It was supposed to be BioWare's meal ticket for the next decade.

A Star Wars RPG would be quite nice in theory but I would prefer if they would finally leave the boring Old Republic setting for good (SWTOR as the last bastion) and focus on the new Jedi order setting (past Ep. VII) or something like that.
In practice, however, I'm afraid that any new RPG -whether Old Republic or whatever- will just be another soulless cookie-cutter Frostshite DAI/MEA clone so meh.

In practice, however, I'm afraid that any new RPG -whether Old Republic or whatever- will just be another soulless cookie-cutter Frostshite DAI/MEA clone so meh.

Yeah, totally agree here. I can't care about any Bioware RPG anymore.

I would love a new KotOR - but I'm sceptical they can recapture that magic. Certainly, if they did make one - then I would miss the 3rd Edition ruleset.

I actually made a few notes while playing MEA about Star Wars, and how I'd love to see a similar game in the Star Wars setting: Having your own space ship, righting wrongs across various planets. I'd love that.

Sadly, I doubt this rumor is accurate though, especially after azarhal more or less confirmed that it isn't. Still, I'd love a new Star Wars RPG.

YUbJEjy.jpg

Gym, restaurant, etc., clearly their offices are too good-looking and comfortable for them to produce a classic RPG. Need to make devs malnourished and shove them in damp cellars , and maybe they will make something we wont forget in 5 years :D

Also look at this Satanist, did he really put the sign of the devil on his cheek, wtf lol

lj6oDEz.jpg

KotoR 3 Rumor? What's next a BG3 rumour?

Coming soon from a Beamdog near you ;)

I enjoyed KoToR, but I'd rather see some new sci fi IPs in development than more Star Wars stuff to be honest.

Sadly, I doubt this rumor is accurate though, especially after azarhal more or less confirmed that it isn't. Still, I'd love a new Star Wars RPG.

The new game they started working on last summer could still be Star Wars based. Drew Karpyshyn is working on it.

Karpyshyn admitted only working on a game, but never specified which one, for all we know it could be on EA's upcoming Destiny clone.

On the topic, EA missed the train "centuries" ago by betraying Kotor fans and making MMO. In the meantime Disney took over and SW became whatever just not what it was. I can't care less about anything and anyone in new SW series, spinoffs and other milking bullshit.

While I still say Kotor 1 and 2 are musthave/mustplay games, my reaction on this rumor is "meh".

The new game they started working on last summer could still be Star Wars based. Drew Karpyshyn is working on it.

I would love that. With all the Star Wars stuff after Disney took over, I can't believe we haven't heard anything of a more meaningful game than all the action stuff. Surely, something must be in the works? Somewhere? Please?

Not terribly excited because I know it'd basically be a twitchy action visual novel.

What we actually know:

https://www.ea.com/play2016/news/the-future-of-ea-and-star-wars-games

So:

Battlefront 2 (again)
Unnamed action-adventure game in works at Visceral Games
Unnamed 3rd person action-adventure in works at Respawn

No mention of anything SW being in works at the Bioware studios (Bioware studios seem to work on a new IP, as suggested in various official interviews and the only thing SW that they support is the MMO SWTOR).

So, yeah. Right now it can be dismissed as a rumor.

Back
Top Bottom