Cyberpunk 2077 - Angry Joe Interview

He seems to be positively giddy! Afaik, he can be pretty direct if a game is crap or tries to fool you with micro stuff. So it seems the demo was quite impressive. There is a write-up of it on pcgamer, if you are interested.

Interesting. There was someone who hated games that did things different based on time of day or weather. If you are that person you won't like this game ;)

Me.
Quest targets appearing based on weather like giant frogs spawning only if it's raining during day in Final Fantasy 15 is design crime and someone should be banned from videogames industry.
However, KCD did that right. During night, people sleep. During day, they're working or lollygagging somewhere. They're not unreachable like for example a gang in Eternity2 that is "invisible" during day. You can always find a quest target somewhere in KCD, they never escape to Narnia. Nor are ghosts.

Will I like this game? Dunno.
Now lemme check that vid.

I enjoyed the interview, and the interview style.

As for the game, I'm almost always skeptical ahead of time of almost all games but based upon what I have seen and read online, and from my enjoyment of The Witcher 3 (1 and 2 were only so-so for me), I would be shocked if this ended up being a game I didn't at least enjoy, and I would be surprised if I didn't end up enjoying it a whole lot.

Love seeing Mike's enthusiasm for this. Really seems 180 from how it went with Sapkowski ( took the pocket change and ran). :p

DfrkGMsUEAAUSR-.jpg

Mike, have I ever told you how important is to let gameplay express Yourself?

Err, yes Warren. About dozen times already.

Like, first time I remember it, we had totally accidentally flipped the lever! I never felt so free!

First of all, that man has an amazing voice (guy on the couch)… But Angry Joe has really come around. He used to be kind of a sideshow, but when he's not trying to be 'angry' he's actually quite intuitive in his interviews and an effective communicator for this generation. (so… disagree with Drithius)

Anyway, CDPR seems to be onto something special here. I hope it lives up to the hype. …so then they can continue Ciri's story.

Mike Pondsmith seems genuinely enthusiastic and interested, beyond the usual PR stuff. And I agree he has a great voice - I could imagine him as a DJ on a smooth jazz radio station.

…an effective communicator for this generation.

…as he absent-mindedly flips through texts on his phone and ignores what his guests are talking to him about. I think you got a point, actually (and sadly). But I wouldn't call it a redeeming quality.

Regardless, I'm excited for this game; it will truly beg for multiple playthroughs.

…as he absent-mindedly flips through texts on his phone and ignores what his guests are talking to him about. I think you got a point, actually (and sadly). But I wouldn't call it a redeeming quality.

Regardless, I'm excited for this game; it will truly beg for multiple playthroughs.

I think he's reading questions he had prepared. Still not a bad interview, tbh better and simply more enjoyable to listen to than oh-so-formal-ones.

He was too impressed with the closed demo, he forgot all questions. That's why he used the bloody phone instead of normal piece of paper. *sigh*

Angry Joe is no journalist, he's showman. Next time he'll be better prepared. Hopefully.
At least he didn't go with stupid "paid to ask" stuff people asked on last year's EA Andromeda presentation.

Oh I just guessed he had chat with viewer questions or some such on phone.
Not liked Joe's content much lately but this vid had my full attention trough the whole thing.

With great regeneration, I'd like to comment that Cyberpunk 2077 sounds like a GTA game with extra robot hands and mowhawks where you're stuck in a noob-friendly first person mode with auto-aiming guns.

You don't know, because you hate GTA games, that GTA V has an open world full of detail and natural events taking place around you. People will chat on their phones, comment on your car as you drive by, random muggings, etc, and the list of these events that make the world feel so alive is quite impressive. These events change based on weather and location and anything. It's this detail that Cyberpunk has to beat. Do you see?

We've heard about the cars and bikes used to get around the city and how there will be things to hack, but I think it will be closer to Lockpicking than Watchdogs 2 style hacking where you actually hack the world and change traffic lights, etc. This is the sort of detail that Cyberpunk has to compete with.

This was the most popular game of E3 because of how much it looks like a new GTA not because of how much it looks like a niche hardcore nerd RPG that only someone who was gaming in the 80s could love. Compare the reaction this GTA clone has received through its well marketed, behind-closed-doors bullshit demo which was handed out to youtubers like prizes with the intention of making them excited. They're hype machines - it's their job. Why not let the internet pick the gameplay apart? Too scared?!

Anyway, I thought GTA V was great so I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077. Definitely my most eagerly anticipated game! :)

I agree with you @SirJames;, but a GTA with a lot more C&C, character building and depth sounds like an awesome game to me.

There's no reason one can't enjoy several parts of the spectrum of RPG's, and currently PoE2 and the upcoming BT4 fulfills the need for classical RPG's for me, while Cyberpunk sounds more like an improvement on the Immersive Sim genre. It's all good.

You don't know, because you hate GTA games, that GTA V has an open world full of detail and natural events taking place around you. People will chat on their phones, comment on your car as you drive by, random muggings, etc, and the list of these events that make the world feel so alive is quite impressive. These events change based on weather and location and anything. It's this detail that Cyberpunk has to beat. Do you see?
What are you talking about. That "living" world of GTA5 is repetitive props that serve absolutely nothing nor make the game better. Random muggings? LOL See one, you saw them all. And they all repeat over and over every 5 minutes. Don't tell me you grinded that crap?

It's Ubi who made within Watch Dogs 2 enormous amount of these small things NPCs do everywhere that almost never repeat where the world doesn't seem artificial movie extras.
Sadly, the same Ubi did not keep the same amount of it in AC Origins, but still. Even that Origins has more interesting and rarely repeating random scenes happening between NPCs than overrated GTA.

If CDpr took it from GTA, it'll suck. If they however saw what Ubi did in WD2 and improve it just a bit more so absolutely nothing you were ever focused on never repeats (you don't need to see a random funeral with the same people twice), we'll be getting a masterpiece.
I agree with you @SirJames;, but a GTA with a lot more C&C, character building and depth sounds like an awesome game to me.
The only thing GTA needs is better controls. Even then will still remain mainstream mediocrity. The concept of Need4Speed with a story reached it's peak already and as such cannot ever be improved.

@joxer; If the random events never appear twice that is a LOT of work for something that lasts the player a few seconds. What happens after you see the event? Does the game slowly delete itself to save space because it doesn't need the assets any more?

Cyberpunk can have more events or less events done better or worse but it's still the same sort of game.

I have a feeling they'll change their minds about first person only. Most people will want to control the cars, at least, in third person. Everyone I know plays GTA in 3rd person. Sure, what the guy said about third person giving more tactical information and first person more immersion sounds true, but RPGs tend to be tactical games. The less tactical it gets then the more of a shooter it becomes. But then smart-weapons to remove even more skill? No tactics, no skill?

Why couldn't we see a gameplay demo?! Did it look too amazing or what? Not good enough? Can't trick me with these marketing ploys! They're bluffing; the game sucks. :p

Play Watch Dogs 2 and you'll learn how superior it is to GTA5 and not only by random events.

Back
Top Bottom