Daggerfall - Free on Steam

As far as I can tell, it is free to play, rather than free. I don't see a way to add it to one's library.

If you just click "Play" it will add the ticket to your library. You can cancel the install and it will remain in your library.

If you just click "Play" it will add the ticket to your library. You can cancel the install and it will remain in your library.

You are right, thanks! I was trying to add it using the Internet version of steam rather than actual steam, so when it asked me to install steam, I thought I couldn't add it. My bad.

Nice. Might have to finally give Daggerfall Unity a go.

Nice. Might have to finally give Daggerfall Unity a go.

This. I was waiting a long time for it to be finished, and now I just have too many games waiting to be played. I still hope to eventually play it one day. I also hope Daggerfall gets a Steam workshop page.

Finally, someone that understands that these old has-been games should be freeware.

Kudos to them for not milking old people off their retirement check by playing into their nostalgia, it's both kind and welcome.

Daggerfall and Morrowind have that Game of Thrones vibe: politics/murder/betrayal/ boobies, etc :)

Ok, I was curious to try this out, since I never experienced Daggerfall. So I setup the unity version. And man, I'm either not getting it, or it has the worst control scheme I've ever seen.

I cannot beat the freaking rat in the tutorial. After finding out how you swing, hold-right click and mouse the mouse in the direction you want to swing, the camera just swings around and I always miss the target. So infurianting. Is this really the attack scheme in Daggerfall? I need to constantly move my mouse around for every swing? Awful.

Morrowind at least, iirc, allowed you to choose the direction of the swing based on your character movement? And you could also just disable that, and make it always use the most damaging type of swing.

And to make matters worse, since all the enemies are 2D sprites and not 3D geometry I have no idea of the distance I need to be at.

Am I missing something? I'd like to be able to try this game out, since a lot of people have been raving about it for years now.

Once you're holding the mouse button down, only your weapon should be moving not the camera.

After awhile, you'll get used to the 2D sprites and start to get a feel for how close you need to be when attacking.

But yeah, there's definitely a little bit of a learning curve. I imagine it's probably pretty awkward for someone just now trying Daggerfall for the first time.

Once you're holding the mouse button down, only your weapon should be moving not the camera.

Yeah, while holding down the right mouse button, the camera stops. But as soon as I let go to actually swing, both the camera swings left or right, and the sword swings. So I end up swinging wildly around the target. I actually got killed by the rat. It's a pain in the ass. I'll have to look around, if there aren't any mods that maybe imitate how it was done in Morrowind, and just use wasd to determine the swing direction.

Even if the camera didn't swing left or right upon letting go, just needing to constanly swing the mouse for each swing sounds like a very bad experience. Somehow even worse than Diablo 1, where you needed to click for every weapon swing.

Plus, I also set a wide FOV (which I guess I need to reduce) and the swinging also causes a bit of nausea.

Ah ok… that's why. You need to keep the MB held down while attacking. :)

Oh, so I keep the right mouse button down while moving it around, and not let go until I'm done swinging?

EDIT: Yeah, that was it. It works better now, even though a little bit weird since I can't move while swinging. But at least I'm no longer experiencing chaotic camera movements. Thanks for the pointer.

Back
Top Bottom