Salt and Sacrifice - Review @ Inverse - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Salt and Sacrifice - Review @ Inverse

Default Salt and Sacrifice - Review @ Inverse

May 19th, 2022, 17:24
Inverse checked out Salt and Sacrifice:

Salt and Sacrifice is a grotesquely gorgeous RPG held back by clunky design

I finally stumble upon the malevolent wretch in a filthy, drab ruin.

I'd been searching high and low for Ghor Lorhotha, one of Salt and Sacrifice's many Mages -- dark, massive creatures that roam the map. The journey was full of deadly ghouls and traps, and left me with few resources remaining. I begin the battle hopeful, but within seconds know that I do not stand a chance. Lorhotha slices at me with its colossal cleaver, then hurls a flurry of disgusting flies at me. With my movement slowed, I am helpless as the blade comes crashing down into my helpless body. Over a half an hour of work for nothing. Woof.

This happens time and time again in Salt and Sacrifice, one of the most frustrating and disappointing gaming experiences in recent years.

[…]

Soulslikes are appealing because of the sense of accomplishment they evoke, offering tremendously difficult battles that -- with practice -- can be overcome. Every death feels fair, and the design philosophy is fine-tuned in such a way that feels intentional and deliberate. Salt and Sacrifice, on the other hand, achieves difficulty with clunky design, which completely misses the point of what makes a good challenge worth the time. Instead, the sacrifice of wasted time here is more than enough to make you salty.

Score: 6/10
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)

May 20th, 2022, 09:55
Quote: "the sacrifice of wasted time here is more than enough to make you salty"

muhabor

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 20th, 2022, 12:06
I have not yet played Salt and Sacrifice, but played Salt and Sanctuary to completion with my son (local co-op).

Without any exagguration and in my opinion, Salt and Sacturay is on-par with any of the Souls games in terms of build varieties, complex connected and mysterious world, varied environments, monstor and boss variety, satisfying and response controls and combat, and longivity and replayability. I feel it is really underrated.

If Salt and Sacrifice is more of the same, then I am with it - bought it already on the Epic store.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

May 20th, 2022, 22:41
Fan of Salt and Sancturay here. ill play this one if is similar

boobaloo

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 20th, 2022, 23:06
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Without any exagguration and in my opinion, Salt and Sacturay is on-par with any of the Souls games in terms of build varieties, complex connected and mysterious world, varied environments, monstor and boss variety, satisfying and response controls and combat, and longivity and replayability. I feel it is really underrated.
I think the art style is phenomenal. I just wish it wasn't a 2D side-scroller.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)

May 21st, 2022, 03:30
Agreed. I've a few friends that simply adore this game, yet I haven't been a fan of side-scrollers in years.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Salt and Sacrifice - Review @ Inverse