Pillars of Eternity II - Being Published by Versus Evil

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is being published by Versus Evil according to this press release.

Sequel to Award Winning RPG to Launch on PC, Mac and Linux in Early 2018!

Independent games publisher Versus Evil today announced its partnership with Obsidian Entertainment to publish Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. The sequel to the critically acclaimed, award-winning RPG Pillars of Eternity, will launch on Windows PC, Mac and Linux in early 2018.

Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian are practically synonymous with quality RPGs and we couldn’t be happier to work with their team and their community in supporting Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire”, said Steve Escalante, General Manager of Versus Evil. “The sequel builds on the massive critical success of the first game and will be one of the premier RPGs to launch in 2018. Fans of the franchise will be thrilled with everything that this sequel has to offer, and newcomers to the Pillars universe will get to experience a technically superior RPG adventure with a more meaningful companion system, deep progression mechanics and uniquely rich storyline for the first time.”

For its part, Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart said: “We are thrilled to be working with the team at Versus Evil on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, the first sequel we’ve ever made into one of our own IPs. Partnering with a team that is as passionate as we are about making Pillars of Eternity outstanding has already been such a gratifying and exciting experience. We know that Steve and his team will treat Deadfire right and help us make it the game that our incredible fans and generous backers expect and deserve.”

In Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, players embark on a dangerous voyage of discovery as they hunt down a god to save their own souls. Building on the award-winning gameplay of the first Pillars of Eternity, every aspect of Deadfire has been improved and expanded. Vastly more detailed graphics, deeper game mechanics, increased player choice and reactivity, a new companion relationship system, streamlined combat, and an entirely new, hand-crafted adventure make Deadfire the ultimate cRPG experience. Players travel the far-flung region of the titular Deadfire Archipelago by ship, where they will discover new races, visit exotic islands, defend their ships against pirates, and, most importantly, choose their allies carefully, as there are powerful factions to encounter at nearly every port.
More information.

I don't know, but according to that press release, everyone is thrilled about it.

Obsidian's relationship with publishers reminds me of girl I know...she gets around if you know what I mean. ;)

What happened with Paradox??

Maybe Paradox wanted to buy the IP and Obsidian didn't want to sell. Versus Evil looks much smaller than Paradox.

Also, Paradox was responsible for the POE console version, Josh didn't seems to be a fan of the concept.

It may be a simple business decision by Obsidian to keep their options open, and not intended as any sort of negative statement about Paradox. Competition is good for cost control.

Exactly right rjshae. Obsidian and the market know they now have a very valuable product so all the publishers will be putting their best foot forward to try to secure publishing rights. This time around obviously Versus Evil had the best deal.

PoE might not have sold that well and is not that a beloved product.

Paradox has now a record of attracting notorious products to raise their visibility as a publisher of that kind of products to later release a version of those products.

For example, they attracted M&B to later release War of the roses.
They attracted Sword of the Stars to later release Stellaris. A few other cases.
Paradox has now raised their profile as a publisher for RPGs by attracting PoE, which leads to the incoming releases of RPGs.

It depends on what you consider "selling well" and "not that beloved". The sales numbers and ratings are not that different from "Divinity: Original Sin".

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is masterpiece! Don't get me wrong Pillars of Eternity is very good old school RPG but DOSEE is on whole different level. ;-)

PoE might not have sold that well and is not that a beloved product.

Fool. As of Jan 2017 it had sold just over 1 million units and it looks like now it is at over 1.2 million units. This is EXCLUDING console sales.

Not only that Pillars 2 was incredibly successful in crowd funding - if people didn't like part one that this wouldn't of happened. Ignore mode on.

Last edited:
Never heard of this publisher.

A new publishing structure, how established is a question, makes better offers than a well established older one.

It depends on what you consider "selling well" and "not that beloved". The sales numbers and ratings are not that different from "Divinity: Original Sin".

Ratings mean little. For the not that beloved thing, it means that it does not take much time and effort to find points of view that show something other than belovedness. For example, PoE is not that popular on this forum.

It matters in some way as PoE 2 comes after PoE1, which influences the purchase of PoE1.

Ah, I see. I had always thought that Paradox was publishing by themselves. I always read "Paradox" on the packages ...
But ... this sounds strange for me : Developer uses publishing branch of publisher to get a game published ... ?

Ah, I see. I had always thought that Paradox was publishing by themselves. I always read "Paradox" on the packages …
But … this sounds strange for me : Developer uses publishing branch of publisher to get a game published … ?

Yes, PDS (Paradox Development Studio) is the branch that develops the strategy games (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Stellaris, Victoria and others), and PI is the one that publishes all sorts of games (like Cities Skylines, Pillars of Eternity 1, Magicka), and they obviously also publish their PDS games.

I guess Paradox has more possibilities to bring the games to retail shops. But I also guess that's only important for Europe and I've always got the feeling in most cases it's done by Koch Media/Deep Silver anyway.

To me, the track record of Versus Evil seems good. Small games, some flawed titles (Kyn), but all of them with a special flavor, that makes them unique and at least interesting for a moment. And they clearly have a focus on story games and/or RPGs. I'd say, it's a combination of conditions and working with an american publisher.

Back
Top Bottom