Quantcast
Torment:ToN - Free to Try Weekend - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment:ToN - Free to Try Weekend

Default Torment:ToN - Free to Try Weekend

October 27th, 2017, 23:12
Torment: Tides of Numenera is free to try this weekend and in addition the entire inXile catalog is on sale to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the studio.

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

October 28th, 2017, 05:53
Eh, I'm afraid Numenera is beyond repair. It's probably better to get W2 Director's Cut.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

October 28th, 2017, 07:09
I loved the game.
Sure it was like reading a book, but it was a good book.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

October 28th, 2017, 08:40
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
I loved the game.
Sure it was like reading a book, but it was a good book.
Can you summarize the moral of the story, I dont think I can go through a game with that much text. Put it in spoilers so people dont accidently read it.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

October 28th, 2017, 09:40
Torment: Tides of Numenera is the best game I have played in the last few years. I actually enjoyed it more than Divinity Original Sin, Pillars and WL2. I am highly surprised I enjoyed it so much given some of the negative posts about it I have read. It is a very demanding game that requires a lot of reading and not everything will make sense in the early game. However it all comes together nicely midway through the game and you can see how all the little stories combine to form an epic story which is right up there the story of Torment planescape. The various castoffs you meet are complex characters who can't be easily classified as good or evil. In fact through some of the Mere's you start to understand some of the tough decisions they had to make and what drives the changing god.

I found the combat reasonably well balanced but I was playing as a skill focused nano. Someone speccing for combat would probably find the fights a bit easy.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

October 28th, 2017, 10:30
No opinion myself yet. I will play it when it turns up in some bundle.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 28th, 2017, 13:49
Had a great time with this game and one of my favorites of the year.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

October 28th, 2017, 14:40
Imho the story was well written, but not my taste.

And the combat was like the rest of the game mechanics: Not well worked out and in addition completely and utterly pointless because they don't have any consequences.

Solution A: Fight in Combat and Win: You convinced them that you are the messiah.
Solution B: Fight in Combat and Lose: You cannot die. So you stand up again. Opponents are impressend and now convinced that you are the messiah.

This basically sums up pretty much the whole game and it's decisions.

Not a bad game. But more like a "chose your own adventure" without mechanics and where, no matter which choices you pick, you will finish the game. The difference is just the decisions and the path you pick. But there is no feeling of accomplishment or anything similar.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Vision
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

October 28th, 2017, 20:47
It would be interesting if it was possible to poll everyone who played it and find out if they are also people who read books on Kindle regularly. My guess would be:

Kindle fans = happy
Never touched a Kindle = meh to mad as all hell

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 28th, 2017, 20:49
I'd be your statistical outlier I guess. I've never touched a kindle or ebook and I loved the game.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

October 28th, 2017, 20:50
I'd be your statistical outlier I guess. I've never touched a kindle or ebook and I loved the game.
You don't count though, because you're addicted to contrariness

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

October 28th, 2017, 21:08
I also liked the game, and have never read any sort of e-book, I don't even read regular books anymore. I'd say it's the best game I've played in the last year or two (but I haven't played D:OS2 yet, which is likely to take over that title…) Could have used more combat and higher difficulty though.

Stingray

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

October 28th, 2017, 21:11
I guess I stand corrected

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

October 28th, 2017, 22:42
Not me. Never read a complete book on my Fire Tablet (which functions like a Kindle in many ways). I like reading a good book that I can hold in my hand.

But I prefer text in general so don't have issues with it in-game as long as I enjoy the writing, which I did in this game.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

October 28th, 2017, 22:47
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Not me. Never read a complete book on my Fire Tablet (which functions like a Kindle in many ways). I like reading a good book that I can hold in my hand.

But I prefer text in general so don't have issues with it in-game as long as I enjoy the writing, which I did in this game.
Yes, jokes aside, that was the point I was making. If you don't mind a huge amount of text in your video entertainment product then TToN wouldn't deter you. If you don't mind a huge amount of text and not a lot else then TToN wouldn't deter you. If you don't mind a huge amount of text and not a lot else and the text is in a genre and style you like then TToN would likely be right up your alley.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

October 29th, 2017, 00:09
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
The difference is just the decisions and the path you pick. But there is no feeling of accomplishment or anything similar.
I would argue that you are looking for a significant in game event to justify your decision and there are less of those in Torment due to the sheer amount of possible choices and flow on complexity it would cause. In Torment it is more a sentence of text might be different further in the story. The sentence however could have significant context in terms of the overall story. The Brucca mere would be an example of something where you can change the meaning of a later encounter significantly depending on which path you go down in the mere.

Having said that there are decisions in Torment which have more significant outcomes in the game i.e. with Rhin :
Spoiler
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

October 29th, 2017, 00:21
Originally Posted by luj1 View Post
Eh, I'm afraid Numenera is beyond repair. It's probably better to get W2 Director's Cut.
W2 is an unplayable trainwreck. At least Numenera has a cute GUI, but just looking at Customer Anger on Steam… sigh. Remember, how the idiot designers were boasting, how many tonnes of lines of writing Numenera has? Then how it turned out.

mercy

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 29th, 2017, 01:02
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
W2 is an unplayable trainwreck.
In your opinion obviously. Reviews in general would disagree with you. Personally I thought it was a excellent and one of the best games I have played recently.
--

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

October 29th, 2017, 01:07
I enjoyed T: ToN well enough, but they could have just skipped the Torment thing. PST: EE was released a few months after T: ToN, and I enjoyed that a whole lot more, despite having already played the original quite a few times over the years.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment:ToN - Free to Try Weekend